Quasi-3D model

  • rubina kausar
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
      Dear friends,

      Can anybody guide me about the situation? I have made a quasi-3D model consisting of three aquifer layers using PMWIN. In PMWIN role of confining layers can be simulated in terms of vertical leakance. Can this calibrated model can be used for contaminant transport. Hoping for urs best answers,

      I am,
      Rubina
    • Richard B. Winston
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
        If you are using MT3D or GWT for the transport simulation, you can not
        use a quasi-3D model.

        rubina kausar wrote:

        >Dear friends,
        >
        >Can anybody guide me about the situation? I have made a quasi-3D model consisting of three aquifer layers using PMWIN. In PMWIN role of confining layers can be simulated in terms of vertical leakance. Can this calibrated model can be used for contaminant transport. Hoping for urs best answers,
        >
        > I am,
        > Rubina

      • Bron Smolski
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
          Hi Rubina,

          Your 3D flow model can be used for contaminant transport simulation
          providing all your layers are either type 3 or 2 (have defined top and
          bottom) and the thickness of individual layers is not too great. If the flow (MODFLOW) layers are thick than you may have to split them into a number of thinner layers with the same properties. This is because of the way the concentrations are calculated.

          Good luck
          Bron