Groundwater recharge coefficient at basaltic outcrops

  • j130754
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2002
      Dear colleagues
      Could you please help me?
      I am looking for data on groundwater recharge coefficient at basaltic
      outcrops. My calculations give me very high values (up to 50-60% of
      annual rainfall) and I would like to compare them with some
      literature data.
      Could you please suggest me a person who might have such data.
      Thank you in advance.
      Michael Zilberbrand
    • Manuel Oliveira
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2002
        Dear Michael
        It is my opinion that we can't just assign recharge coefficients as a function of the geological formations. These coefficients deppend on several factors, from which I will refer only two: the land cover and the annual precipitation. Land cover conditions the ammount of water available for plant growth and evapotranspiration. Precipitation is the input of water for the groundwater medium. If precipitation is almost the same as the potential evapotranspiration and the water available on the soil for roots uptake is not fullfilled, then there will be no recharge and recharge coeffiecient is near zero. On the other hand, if precipitation is much higher than potential evapotranspiration then recharge will be expected and the groundwater recharge coefficient could be very high.
        My e-mail is just to say that probably we can compare coefficients when precipitation conditions and vegetation behaviour is similar. Otherwise I don't think that we can just apply a coefficient.

        Manuel Oliveira

        j130754 wrote:

         Dear colleagues
        Could you please help me?
        I am looking for data on groundwater recharge coefficient at basaltic
        outcrops. My calculations give me very high values (up to 50-60% of
        annual rainfall) and I would like to compare them with some
        literature data.
        Could you please suggest me a person who might have such data.
        Thank you in advance.
        Michael Zilberbrand

      • barbara ford
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2002
          michael:
          i recommend you look at studies of recharge applied in models of the
          columbia river basalts (pacific northwest us), which may include hanford
          nuclear facility. as others have noted, the recharge is highly variable
          depending upon precip and veg cover and soil cover. this study (cited) gave
          a good range of rech for diff soil types
          good luck
          barbara

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2002
            Young, relatively fresh material (unweathered) has 100% infiltration --
            or whatever remains after evaporation. Old terrain, deeply weathered, etc. will have the lowest infiltration rates -- including, locally, zero.

            See Hawaiian Island literature.

                                                             GEOREGON

          • Zeljko Viljevac
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2002
              Hi Michael
              that number can be about right,
              in some areas of Auckland (New Zealand) we got figures of approximately 50% of annual rainfall contributing in the recharge of the basalt aquifer- (highly weathered basalt flow , up to 15 metres of residual soil). I have done some work in other areas of Auckland (3 big volcanic fields with more than 100 volcanic centres) and I've got mixed values - range from 30 to 90% what is subject of my further work and computer modeling.

              I am interested in any extra information about that issue (literature, web sites etc).
              Very interesting info from GEOREGON - can I get some more details
              regards

              Zeljko Viljevac
              Hydrogeologist
              Auckland Regional Council
              21 Pitt Street,
              Private Bag 92 012
              Auckland, New Zealand
              Phone: 09 366 2000 ext 8499
              fax: 09 366 2155
              e-mail: zviljevac@...

              >>> w_mzilberbrand@... 6/02/02 21:36:46 >>>
              Dear colleagues
              Could you please help me?
              I am looking for data on groundwater recharge coefficient at basaltic
              outcrops. My calculations give me very high values (up to 50-60% of
              annual rainfall) and I would like to compare them with some
              literature data.
              Could you please suggest me a person who might have such data.
              Thank you in advance.
              Michael Zilberbrand

              ******************************
              WARNING This email contains information which
              is CONFIDENTIAL and may be subject to LEGAL
              PRIVILEGE. If you are not the intended recipient,
              you must not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute
              or copy this email or attachments. If you have
              received this in error, please notify us immediately
              by return email, facsimile or telephone (call us collect)
              and delete this email. Thank you.

              Phone: +64 9 379 4420 or
              Fax: +64 9 366 2155

              THE AUCKLAND REGIONAL COUNCIL ACCEPTS
              NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR CHANGES MADE TO
              THIS EMAIL OR TO ANY ATTACHMENTS AFTER
              TRANSMISSION FROM THE AUCKLAND REGIONAL COUNCIL.
              ******************************
            • GEOREGON@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 6, 2002
                Do not have research level data --

                Observations in/on terrain of fresh lava flows show no runoff, roads(for logging access) have no pipes(culverts) -- that sort of thing.
                (We developed no data on infiltration for the older terrain.)

                As I said  --the Hawaiian literature/"data" shows striking changes from Island to Island  --progressing from the "oldest" to the
                "youngest" island.

                The work for which this information was developed resulted in a report " Geohydrogeologic Investigation of the Big Butte Springs Watershed", in southern Oregon. Report was completed for the Medford (Oregon) Water Commission. I was in charge of the study - -while employed by the US Forest Service- completed about 1992.

                                                           GEOREGON
              • robin.herbert
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 7, 2024
                  Ask BGS, wallingford UK for report on DECCAN traps