Reactive transport modelling with GWV and MT3DMS/RT3D

  • Guillaume Tavernier
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2005
      Hi all,

      I would like to simulate a ISCO experiment, that is the injection of
      KMnO4 in groundwater which will react with some sorbed hydrocarbons.
      The oxidant will be injected in excess, and under these conditions, the
      reaction should have a first order rate. I would like to assess how the
      injected solution will affect the contaminant (what volume of aquifer
      will be cleaned up), and how far the oxidant will migrate before
      completely reacting.

      I have used MT3DMS before, but never to simulate chemical reactions. I
      am not sure though if I could simulate this specific reaction. Should I
      use RT3D?
      If anyone has already done a similar simulation, please I need some
      advices.

      Cheers,

      Guillaume Tavernier
      Hydrogeologist

      Komex Europe
      1st Floor Shand House
      14-20 Shand Street
      London, SE1 2ES

      tel - 0207-407-1904
      Fax - 0207-407-3825
      Mobile - 0798-464-5230.

      www.komex.com

      IMPORTANT NOTICE:
      This email is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is for the
      intended recipient only. Access, disclosure, copying, distribution,
      or
      reliance on any of it by anyone not the intended recipient is
      prohibited and
      may be a criminal offence. Please delete if obtained in error and
      email
      confirmation to the
      sender.
    • Mikhail Gogolev
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2005
        Hi Guillaume,

        MT3DMS and both standard versions of RT3D (v.1 and 2.5) have no specific
        reaction modules to simulate effects of permanganate injection. We also were
        looking for such software to simulate some remediation experiments. After
        extended search, in 2004 we developed a new RT3D 2.5 reaction module
        simulating destruction of chlorinated solvents with permanganate. This
        module works under the Visual MODFLOW 3.1 interface. We have tested this
        module with several example problems and a field experiment reported in
        Robert Siegrist's book on ISCO. We are going to publish this model next few
        months. Let me know if you are interested in this development.

        Cheers,

        Mikhail Gogolev

        Chief Hydrogeologist

        AGRECOM Inc.

        _____

[...]

        * Post message: gwmodel@yahoogroups.com

        * This list is moderated by C. P. Kumar -
        http://www.angelfire.com/nh/cpkumar/
        * Subscribe other related groups by sending blank
        email to the addresses given below -

        Visual MODFLOW Users Group:
        visual-modflow-subscribe@...

        GMS Users Group: