genealogy before 1800 in guyana

  • stamboomprobleem
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2007
      Hey,

      Just wondering whether anyone is doing research on genealogy before
      1800. I have some ancestores who lived under Dutch and English rule in
      that period. Can anyone suggest sources, apart from plans of
      plantations and their owners?

      Best Regards
    • JOHN GOFFEY
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2007
        I am researching a period of about fifty years from about 1780 to 1830 in
        Demarara, Berbice and the Lesser Antilles, principally St. Eustatius. I
        know virtually nothing about genealogical resources in Guyana but have been
        able to find quite a lot in UK ( British Library, London Univ., Commonwealth
        Institute, etc.). I believe there is a lot of info in The Hague, but mostly
        in Dutch which is a problem for me.

        >From: "stamboomprobleem" <stamboomprobleem@...>
        >To: guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [guyanese_genealogy] genealogy before 1800 in guyana
        >Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:42:20 -0000
        >
        >Hey,
        >
        >Just wondering whether anyone is doing research on genealogy before
        >1800. I have some ancestores who lived under Dutch and English rule in
        >that period. Can anyone suggest sources, apart from plans of
        >plantations and their owners?
        >
        >Best Regards

        Rates near 39yr lows! $430K Loan for $1,399/mo - Paying Too Much? Calculate
        new payment
        http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18226&moid=7581
      • Joyce Kehoe
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2007
          I need to figure out how to trace a Tagewatie Ram -- she was born in Guyana and immigrated to the U.K. at age 17.  I had an earlier post about her.  How do I trace records in Guyana?

          She was born in approximately 1951.

          Sincerely,
          Joyce Kehoe

          stamboomprobleem <stamboomprobleem@...> wrote:
          Hey,

          Just wondering whether anyone is doing research on genealogy before
          1800. I have some ancestores who lived under Dutch and English rule in
          that period. Can anyone suggest sources, apart from plans of
          plantations and their owners?

          Best Regards

          TV dinner still cooling?

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 27 7:09 PM
            Hello Joyce

            Birth records are held at the General Records Office in Georgetown but as she is most likely still living you probably won't be allowed access.

            I have had a look but am unable to find anything.

            I have looked under both "Ram" and "Salikram" but can't find any details.

            I only looked in Canada and not England as it is unlikely she would have returned to England after going to Canada.

            It is very possible that she got married and changed her name so could be listed somewhere with a married name.

            You could try contacting Newspapers in Nova Scotia and ask them to print a message in their letters pages.

            stamboomprobleem <stamboomprobleem@ yahoo.com> wrote:
            Hey,

            Just wondering whether anyone is doing research on genealogy before
            1800. I have some ancestores who lived under Dutch and English rule in
            that period. Can anyone suggest sources, apart from plans of
            plantations and their owners?

            Best Regards

            TV dinner still cooling?

            Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 27 7:20 PM
              Hello Stamboo

              Most of us are doing Research covering the period after 1800 as records before then are very scarce, in fact records after then are very scarce too !

              Civil Registration did not became compulsory until the mid 19th Century and the Census returns in Guyana did not survive so apart from a few earlier documents, records are scarce.

              From 1796 to 1815 Guyana changed hands between the Dutch and English a few times due to the Napoleonic Wars so early records may be found in England or the Netherlands if at all.

              stamboomprobleem <stamboomprobleem@...> wrote:
              Hey,

              Just wondering whether anyone is doing research on genealogy before
              1800. I have some ancestores who lived under Dutch and English rule in
              that period. Can anyone suggest sources, apart from plans of
              plantations and their owners?

              Best Regards

              Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

            • William de Nieuwerkerke

                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2007
                  Hello Joyce

                  For some reason i don't know why i didn't look up Salickram as it is a more common spelling so have done so but unfortunately was still not able to find anything.

                  Another possible reason could be that she no longer lives in Nova Scotia and may have moved to Toronto or another area of the Country.

                  It is a tough search but wish you success.

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 3, 2007
                    Hello William

                    Or should it be Willem ?

                    You have a real Dutch name there so see why you are so interested in that period.

                    I am not a expert but could the name mean "New Church" or "Newest Church" ?

                    There isn't too much on this period and covering Guyana but i would recommend looking at :

                    which is one of the main pages covering Dutch Colonialization and English Settlement in Guyana during the 18th and early 19th Centuries.

                    "Jon - Budmart.co.uk" <budmartuk@yahoo. com> wrote:
                    Hello Stamboo

                    Most of us are doing Research covering the period after 1800 as records before then are very scarce, in fact records after then are very scarce too !

                    Civil Registration did not became compulsory until the mid 19th Century and the Census returns in Guyana did not survive so apart from a few earlier documents, records are scarce.

                    From 1796 to 1815 Guyana changed hands between the Dutch and English a few times due to the Napoleonic Wars so early records may be found in England or the Netherlands if at all.

                    stamboomprobleem <stamboomprobleem@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                    Hey,

                    Just wondering whether anyone is doing research on genealogy before
                    1800. I have some ancestores who lived under Dutch and English rule in
                    that period. Can anyone suggest sources, apart from plans of
                    plantations and their owners?

                    Best Regards

                    Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                    Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                    Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                  • Joan Seymour
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 3, 2007
                      Hello Jon,
                      I went to the site below and found a relative that I was looking for
                      in the lists of Colonists in British Guiana.. I shouted out when I found
                      the first part of the information and then again when I found the other
                      part - that is the man she married - we had no idea of his first names
                      only the surname. After running through all the lists it was great to
                      find something. Very useful, Thanks a lot Joan.

                    • D. Creativeone
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 8, 2007
                        Hi Jon

                        I'm new to this but hopefully you can point me in the right direction regarding finding out the origins of this unique name. All the living descendends originate from Danielstown Essequibo.

                        Best regards

                        Dunstan

                        Jon - Budmart.co.uk wrote:
> [...]
                        >
                        > Hey,
                        >
                        > Just wondering whether anyone is doing research on
                        > genealogy before
                        > 1800. I have some ancestores who lived under Dutch and
                        > English rule in
                        > that period. Can anyone suggest sources, apart from plans of
                        > plantations and their owners?
                        >
                        > Best Regards
                        >

                        > */Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !/*
                        > Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                        > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=48245/ *http://autos. yahoo.com/ new_cars. html;_ylc= X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2 BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2 BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFn cwRzbGsDbmV3LWNh cnM->

                        > Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                        > <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=48245/ *http://autos. yahoo.com/ new_cars. html;_ylc= X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2 BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2 BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFn cwRzbGsDbmV3LWNh cnM->
                        >

                        > */Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !/*

                        begin:vcard
                        fn:Joan T. Seymour
                        n:Seymour;Joan
                        email;internet:edytha@...