Re: [guyanese_genealogy] de la para / cho-yee

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2005
      Hello Jonathan

      I know a number of websites that cover Chinese Immigration to Guyana.

      I will get the Addresses and get back to you.

      They contain a general History and Ships lists and passenger names etc.

      Speak to you soon.

      jonathan bratt <jonathanbratt@...> wrote:
       Hey Everyone:

      I am rather new to this type of research however, I have been attempting to track down any information that I can on my Guyanese ancestry.  To begin with, I am interesting in finding out any information on my grandfather Mr. Joeseph Cho-Yee who I believed own a shop on Charles Street during the 1940-1950's.  He came from the province of Guangzhou in China and I have strong evidence (a picture) that he has some family still there but I need to know the exact location where the Cho's came from in Guangzhou.  Apparently, anybody with a CHO in their name immigrated from the same region in Guangzhou and are distantly related.   My grandfather's mother was apparently a SHIM so any info on the SHIM's would also be appreciated.

      My grandfather married a woman by the name of Ivey De La Para.  Her father was John De La Para and I understand he could have been the district chief/ council member for the Wismar Christianbourg area.  Apparently he was murdered or poisoned as rumors/ stories persist so an orbituary would be most helpful.  I would love to find out more about De La Para as he could come from France and he remains buried at the Anglican Church in Bagotsville.  Little is known about him as he passed away quite young but he did marry a woman by the name of Ruth Richards who was active in the Church community.  Any information or advice would be most welcome.  Thank-you for your time and I eagerly await all replies.

      Sincerely,

      Jonathan Bratt
      #112, 1500 Richmond Street.
      London, Ontario.  Canada.
      N6G-4V1
      Ph. (519) 858-8692
      Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • jonathan bratt
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17, 2005
        Hey Jon:

        Thank-you so much for your prompt response and offer to help as it is very, much appreciated.  I have visited the website of Mr. Trev Sue-A-Quan who is the author of some wonderful books that cover Chinese Immigration to Guyana but was unable to locate any information on my grandfather.  All that I do know is that there is a good possibility that anybody with a CHO in their name is related and came from the province of Guangzhou in China.  My grandfather's name was Mr. Cho Kam Yee and his brothers were Cho Chuk Yee (who lived in England until his death) and Mr. Kim Tam who still has family in China and up until ten years ago, was still alive (that is the date of a picture that I received of him from another family member).

        I guess the reason why I have an increased in my urgency is that I have recently lost family members on both the Cho-Yee and De La Para sides of the family (Mr. Frank Cho Yee, my uncle and Mr. Gratton De La Para, my great uncle who both lived in England and passed away earlier this week)and would really like to help those who are still alive but in failing health.  I have relied mostly on personal memories and recollections but as time goes on, they are not as sharp or clear as in earlier years.  In addition, I have tried to contact people in Bagotsville with the hope that their may be some sort of documention regarding my great grandfather John De La Para since he was some sort of a local politican, but unfortunately I have had no luck thus far.

        Thanks again for your time and kindness, it is greatly appreciated.

        Jonathan Bratt
        #112, 1500 Richmond Street.
        London, Ontario.  Canada.
        N6G-4V1
        Ph. (519) 858-8692

        #112, 1500 Richmond Street.
        London, Ontario.  Canada.
        N6G-4V1
        Ph. (519) 858-8692

        Do you Yahoo!?

        Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 18, 2005
          Hello Jonathan

          Unfortunately, the main site i was to mention to you is Trevor's site which you have already examined.

          It has a concise Ships list, so i was surprised that you did not find anything there.

          Remember that a lot of the details were listed by British Agents who weren't used to Chinese names so wrote them down as they sounded.

          Your Grandfather's name could be recorded as Cho, Chow, Cheo, Cheow, Chu or any other variation.

          He could also be listed as Yee, Yie, Ye or Yi or similiar.

          One of my Aunts is married to a Chinese called Cheow whose Ancestors came from Canton, Cheow and Cho are proberly the same name.

          They do have a complete Ships list at the National Archives in Georgetown but i am not sure whether they have any complete passenger lists.

          Also a lot of Chinese names in Guyana are unique because of the corruption of Chinese names through Indenture, a lot of Chinese Guyanese names are only found in Guyana and not in China or in the same form in China.

          Someone i knew had the Surname Ching-a-Sue which is not found outside of Guyana and Suriname.

          Regarding your Great Grandfather John de la Para he was the first Chairman of the Country Authority in Christianburg which was established in 1926.

          His Authority tried to deal with the settlement of workers arriving in the area to work in the Bauxite industry.

          The name Delapara is actually Portuguese in origin.

          Most of the Portuguese in Guyana originate from the Island of Madeira and started to arrive from the 1840s onwards but there may have been a small number who came via the Netherlands.

          A number of Portuguese Jews went to Holland to escape persecution and from there later went on to settle in Suriname, Guyana and Jamaica along with other Dutch Jews.

          However, this took place 200 years earlier, so it all depends on how long your Family has been in Guyana.

          If you wish to look more into this possibility, please view :

          Going back to the death of your Great Grandfather, Obituaries would have been published in the local Newspaper for the Christianburg/Wismar/Mackenzie area.

          Some Newspapers have their own Archives or they are kept by the National archives or by some Universities.

          If you contact the local Newpaper, they should be able to tell you where any Archives are held or if the Newspaper of the time is no longer in publication, the current Newspaper may still hold details of their forebearing paper.

          Hope there is something of use.

          #112, 1500 Richmond Street.
          London, Ontario.  Canada.
          N6G-4V1
          Ph. (519) 858-8692

          #112, 1500 Richmond Street.
          London, Ontario.  Canada.
          N6G-4V1
          Ph. (519) 858-8692

          Do you Yahoo!?

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 18, 2005
            Hi Jon,

            First, let me thank-you profusely for all of your wonderful help as this certainly has brought alot of smiles from my entire family since we have been more curious about Mr. De La Para for some time now yet have been unable to find out anything whatsoever.  I am curious as to how you came across the information concerning his position as the First Chairman of the County Authority in Christianburg only because I had no idea that he held such a position and hope to one day visit Guyana to learn more about his life.  I have visited the website you indicated and will now attempt to learn how long Mr. De La Para (and his wife Ruth Richards) were in Guyana and when they possibly immigrated from either Portugal (island of Madeira) or Holland.  I do know that his remaining children who were all young at the time of death, have always been led to believe that their father was of Dutch ancestry but I have always been skeptical because of his name.  Your findings have definetly confirmed my suspicion that  he was not Dutch but of some other descent since De La Para would have been a rather strange name in Holland.

            As for my grandfather,once again your assistance has proved to be most fruitful since I will not concentrate my search in locating similar names.  I have heard that CHO is more Korean than Chinese but I am positive that my grandfather is from Guangzhou / Canton and must now attempt to locate is relatives in that area.  I have heard of a Malcom Cho-Kee who is also of Guyanese heritage and we may also be related.  In addition, there have been uncorfirmed suggestions that my granfather's mother was a SHIM so that will be another avenue of which investigate.

            Once again, my family and I are indepted to you for your kindness and generousity... it is greatly appreciated...

            Sincerely,

            Jonathan Bratt
            #112, 1500 Richmond Street.
            London, Ontario.  Canada.
            N6G-4V1
            Ph. (519) 858-8692

            #112, 1500 Richmond Street.
            London, Ontario.  Canada.
            N6G-4V1
            Ph. (519) 858-8692

            #112, 1500 Richmond Street.
            London, Ontario.  Canada.
            N6G-4V1
            Ph. (519) 858-8692

            Do you Yahoo!?

            Do you Yahoo!?

            Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18, 2005
              Hello Jonathan

              No problem, i am very glad to help.

              The details i found were all somewhere online, it just takes a bit of digging plus a good knowledge of History and Genealogy.

              There are many records which aren't on the internet but are held by various Archives and similiar Institutions, these will open up your search more widely.

              Again, it takes a bit of time and the patience but as long as you have the Genealogy "bug" which you have caught it will be a interesting and fruitful search.

              Its possible that the Authority or its modern replacement if any will have records going back covering the time your Great-Grandfather was Chairman.

              Regarding your search into the de la Parra family, it is most likely that your Great-Grandfather was born in Guyana as the last Portuguese to arrive came in 1882.

              If he was of Madeiran origin his Father or Grandfather would have came from Madeira, if the de la Parra's had been in Guyana longer and did not come from Madeira then they would have came from Holland to which their forebearers would have arrived from Portugal.

              During the persecution of the Jews in the 16/17th Centuries in Portugal and Spain, many of these Sephardim Jews as they are known as arrived in Holland as refugees and settled there becoming Merchants.

              Not too long after when the Dutch sent Settlers to their Colonies in the Caribbean and South America a lot of these Jews also went there, they were also joined by other Jews from Brazil(a Portuguese Colony at the time) who moved to Suriname and Guyana to also escape persecution.

              So overall the family would have originally came from Portugal, maybe settled in Holland and then finally moved to South America.

              Regarding your Grandfather, he is definately Chinese as there wasn't any immigration to the Caribbean and South America from Korea although there was from Japan.

              Some Korean names are similiar to Chinese names but they are two different peoples racially and culturely.

              Common Korean names include names such as Park, Moon, Sun and Lee for example.

              Another thing is that all the Chinese were recruited in Canton province and did not come from any other part of China with the exception of a few who came from neighbouring provinces to Canton and then migrated.

              China unlike India which provided most of the Indentured Labourers was a Independent Country and did not like any Foreign influence so kept an eye on the British and restricted their recruitment.

              Hong Kong became a British possession in 1841 and provided a lot of the Chinese labour as it cut out dealing with Imperial China who they were at war with from 1839 to 1842(the Opium Wars).

              Regarding the name Shim, i don't know if there is a connection but i visited Hong Kong 7 years ago and stayed in a area of Kowloon called Tsim Shat Sui, it could be a name to do with the area ?

              I hope that there is something of interest and i will you success with your research.

              #112, 1500 Richmond Street.
              London, Ontario.  Canada.
              N6G-4V1
              Ph. (519) 858-8692