From Africa to Albion

    Message 1 of 5 , May 18 9:48 AM
      Hello Everyone

      I have received the following request from someone tracing their African roots.

      They come from the Albion area and are interested in Family ties in Albion and Fyrish.

      I will have a look and see what i can find but any additional help will be very handy, please have a look and see if you are familiar with any of the below details.

      Jon hi,

      Thanks for getting back to me.

      The info obtained so far is as follows, please feel free to share it with anyone who may be able to assist.

      Te'te
      Great Great Grandmother. Born Africa? Ashanti who name means flower. Lived on Albion plantation 1830's, worked as house servant. Albion owned by Bookers. given plot of land at Winkel. still owned by Emmanuel family 30 Winkel. Married Christmas Paddy, but had first and second children to oversser or some other white individual - possibly person who gave her land at Winkel.
      Information: Confirm her name on plantation records. How did she get to Albion - shipping records - purchase records - who gave her land at Winkel (Crown entitlement?) -Who was father of first and second children? birth  / marriage certificates.

      Christmas Paddy
      Great Great Grandfather. Born Guyana? Lived Albion Plantation Had about 12 brothers. Taught to read and preach to other "slaves " at Church in Firish. Still remembered at Firish Church his great great grandson is currently pastor.
      Information: as above

      Children: All born within a few years of each other
      Mary (Mulatto) born 1860/70
      Adele (Mulatto) born 1860/70
      Brother born 1860/75
      James born 1860/75
      Bill Christmas born 1860/75

      Mary Paddy
      Given land at Winkel. Married George Emmanuel.  House wife. but worked as midwife to locals. Lived middle class lifestyle withhusband at Winkel.

      George Emmanuel
      Born 1890s Educated in Georgetown? Born on Firsh plantation Postmaster General until his death in the 1930-40 period.  Died young 40's. Mother t'amba, Father Witch Doctor.

      Children:
      Richard
      Doris
      Kitty
      Edward (my Grand father)
      Adam

      T'amba
      Lived 1850s.born free..South African Zulu? Lived at Firish to 80-90. 6ft tall and well built.walked everywhere.

      Witch Doctor
      Lived 1850s..Real name not known..history, time and place of death not known. Lived at Firish..Made potions to maek workers/slaves better. Did not take to slavery..always running away. leg amputated below knee.

      Children: (All surnamed Emanuel - who were they named after?)
      10 Boys
      1 Girl

      Land at Gibraltar given to Emmanuels as Crown recompense.

      Information: any available to substantiate the above.

      Please let me know if you have heard of any of the above details.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 18 10:46 AM
        Jon, how are you doing? This sound like a fellow who resides in the UK who emailed me several weeks ago, asking about Post Master Emmanuel. I would advise that a search be made of the Preliminary List of Electors for the region I think it is district 6.
        I found several Sanchos listed therein. I am not surprised Sancho has Hindu names. However, the shocker is Sancho resides in Springlands. I had heard that Indian Sancho resided in West Coast Berbice. The list of electors support that data.
        I did Campbell in Demerara District 4; need to get on with the other districts.

        "Jon - Budmart.co.uk" <budmartuk@...> wrote:
[...]

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Eternal Blessings, Love, Peace, Power & Unity
        M'lilwana Osanku - Sancho of Nabaclis.
        Researching - Sancho, Campbell, Young (Younge), Solomon, Ross & Martin - Families of Guyana.
        History of Golden Grove and Nabaclis Village District, East Sea Coast Demerara, Guyana.
        "A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots." The Most Honourable Marcus Garvey (1887-1940) People's Power Forever Vote AFC Tme for Change - down with ethnic politics -

          Message 4 of 5 , May 19 9:35 AM
            Hello Jon,
            Please forward  the attached fle to the family historian who emailed you. It contins a list of Paddy found in District 6 in the preliminary list of electors.

[...]

            Ring'em or ping'em. Make PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
              Hello Sancho

              The Chap is very pleased with the Paddys list but wants to know if you found anything on the Emmanuels.

              Did you get a chance to list them ?

              He's in no rush so if you can find them that will be great.

              Please let me know if there are any problems.

              Sancho of Nabaclis <childrenofsancho@...> wrote:
[...]

              Carmen V Paddy 4 Mount Sinai N/A Seamstress
              Maurice Adolphus Paddy 4 Mount Sinai New Amsterdam Pipe Fitter
              Michelle Abiola Paddy Mount Sinai C Housewife
              Aubrey Richard Paddy 4 Mount Sinai Greater New Amsterdam Rigger
              Dolincia May Paddy 1 Mount Sinai West Canje
              Gavin Simeon Paddy 1 Mount Sinai West Canje Plumber
              Navie A. Paddy 27 Pilot Street
              Beverly Ann Margaret Paddy 21-27 St. Magdalen Street New Amsterdam Foremen
              Joan Elebeth Paddy 00000020-2 St John Street New Amsterdam Berbice House Keeper
              Tromainie J Paddy 21-27 St. Magdalen St. Engineer
              Michael Paddy Gibraltar Village Corentyne Labourer
              Jacquelyn V. T. Paddy Queen Street Courtland Cor. Weeder
              Marion E. Paddy Hampshire Street Courtland Housewife
              Odessa A. Paddy 31 Queen Street Courtland Cor. Electrician
              Raymond R. Paddy Hampshire Street Courtland Chauffeur
              Vaulda F. Paddy 31 Queen Street Courtland Cor. Housewife
              Walter H N Paddy 31 Queen Street Courtland Cor.
              Elroy Christopher Paddy 107 Fyrish Road Corentyne Mechanic
              Tiffany Letoya Paddy 00177 Fourth Street North Public Road Fyrish Corentyne Clerk
              Junior Weston Paddy Fyrish Road Corentyne
              Nelly Paddy Fyrish Rd. Cor Bce Nurse
              Yvonette Vanessa Paddy Fyrish Road Corentyne Clerk
              Euborn O Paddy 31 Fyrish Village Corentyne Sugar Boiler
              Judy D Paddy 31 Fyrish Village Corentyne
              Roydon Royson Paddy Sec B Fyrish Village Corentyne Berbice Linesman
              Dwayne Anthony Paddy 00010 Area K Albion
              George E Paddy 86 Rose hall Town Plumber
              Claudius Paddy Alness Village Cor Labourer
              William Paddy Alness
              Michael Sylvester Paddy Springlands Security Guard