Guyanese Non-fiction Literature before Independence

  • John Wilmer
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2006
      In today's Guyana Chronicle's Pepperpot:

      http://www.guyanachronicle.com/pepperpot.html

      Missing from the listing:

      Adriaan van Berkel�s Travels in South America between the Berbice and
      Essequibo rivers and in Surinam, 1670-1689, translated and edited by Walter
      Edmund Roth, 1925. Georgetown, British Guiana, The "Daily chronicle," ltd.,
      1941 [i. e. 1942]

      as well as the book of Dr. John Hancock and his numerous articles.

      Can anyone cite further non-fiction?
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2006

        I do not regard the article as accurate. It is not by any stretch of the imagination. It is not even well thought out – and lacks numerous books and other publications. Such a topic would require several pages. Thus in retrospect I think the writer was in a quagmire – the need for space in which to hold such a project

        Missing from such a listing, are the following among others; the history of villages; Queenstown (Ellis), Victoria ( Arno) and Bagotsville, Egbert "leo" Martin's Poetical works published in 1887/8 in London - perhaps the first publication (book) by an Afro-Guyanese. Justice Crane,  Moore's book in 1890, Norman Eustace Cameron, T. Anson Sancho, Joycelynne Loncke, Harold Lutchman, Barton Scotland, Donald Ashley Bevel Trotman jr., Aston Chase, George H A Bunyan, Cheddi Jagan, Fenton Ramsahoyte, Eusi Kwayana (formerly Sidney King), Clive Thomas, Pollard on Education, Bayley, Edgar Mortimer Duke, A. J. Seymour, Martin Carter,  Peter Kempadoo, and S.S.Ramphal, are a number of writers who were not mentioned. There are many others - you would be surprised when you are enlightened as to the amount of Guyanese writers who were published prior to May 26, 1966.

        How about who’s who in British Guiana four editions 1938 – 1948, edited by Roth and Delph? I know that series of books exists I used it and numerous extracts of entries were sent to me by Mr., John O’Connor.

        Any how the British Guiana African Association published an organ Freedman's Sentinel in the 1840's which present the need for the strikes of 1842 and 1847-48. I have not heard of working class peoples writings prior to that era in Guyana.

        I believe it may well be a good thing for us to comprise listings of books published by Guyanese writers – and on Guyana by non-born Guyanese writers – how about it? That is something we could do together – what are your views. In so doing you will be made aware of the short comings of the folks who masquerade as Guyanese historians, and or the authority on Guiana’s history. Let us get into that - shall we?

        John Wilmer <lance2703@...> wrote:

        In today's Guyana Chronicle's Pepperpot:

        http://www.guyanachronicle.com/pepperpot.html

        Missing from the listing:

        Adriaan van Berkel’s Travels in South America between the Berbice and
        Essequibo rivers and in Surinam, 1670-1689, translated and edited by Walter
        Edmund Roth, 1925. Georgetown, British Guiana, The "Daily chronicle," ltd.,
        1941 [i. e. 1942]

        as well as the book of Dr. John Hancock and his numerous articles.

        Can anyone cite further non-fiction?

        You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See how.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/RKHolB/TM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Eternal Blessings, Love, Peace, Power & Unity
        M'lilwana Osanku - Sancho of Nabaclis.
        Researching - Sancho, Campbell, Young (Younge), Solomon, Ross & Martin - Families of Guyana.
        History of Golden Grove and Nabaclis Village District, East Sea Coast Demerara, Guyana.
        "A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots." The Most Honourable Marcus Garvey (1887-1940) People's Power Forever Vote AFC Tme for Change - down with ethnic politics -

        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2006
          I have a number of publications listed among my Personal Interests which are the works of literary  and intellectuals published prior to May 26, 1966 .  I recommend you visit  the following;
          I do not think the catalogue of the University of Guyana, the National Library, and the National Archives are available online. If they are please enlighten me - will you?

          The catalogues of numerous libraries are found and can be searched online including the following;
          1. The    New York City Public Library http://catnyp.nypl.org/
          2. The Library of Congress, http://catalog.loc.gov/
          3. The British Library http://catalogue.bl.uk/
          4. The University of the West Indies http://zinsa.uwimona.edu.jm/vtls/english/index.html

          All have  great amounts of material upon British Guiana , prior to 1966.

          I would also love to read the following, I just have to make the time available to do so;

          Ms. Beverly Shirley Changing Times: Women's Activism in Guyana and Barbados in the 1970s
          Andrew Hicks - Violent crimes and police performance in Guyana
          William Skeete - The narcotic trade in Guyana : Causes and consequences
          Mars, J. 2004 “Police Abuse of Force in Guyana .” In Harriott, A. Brathwaite, F. and Wortley, S. (eds.) 2004. Crime and Criminal Justice in the Caribbean . Kingston : Arawak Publications.
          ---------.2001. Rough justice: Political Policing and Colonial self-rule in Guyana . Caribbean Journal of Criminology and Social Psychology. Vol. 3 #1-2. Page 60-82.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 14, 2006
            Great news for genealogists and those who has interests in the humanities and social sciences in Guyana. the voters list is available online.

            Green land of Guyana opens Thursday
            An exhibition celebrating Guyana's 40th Independence Anniversary will open on Thursday, at the National Gallery of Art, Castellani House. »
            Health centres remodelled for better service to youths
            Health centres around the country are being transformed to create a friendlier environment for youths seeking counselling and testing for HIV and other health concerns, the Government Information Agency (GINA) reported. »
            New water supply hours for some East Coast villages
            Customers on the East Coast Demerara who are served by the Guyana Water Inc (GWI) Mon Repos Water Treatment Plant will be supplied only during specific hours, GWI advised in a press release. »
            2006 preliminary voters list available online
            The 2006 Preliminary Voter's List (PLE) can be accessed on the internet in the "Reports and Manuals" page of the web site www.gecom.org.gy - the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) web site -though the Adobe Reader software is needed to be able to read the list. »
            Mahaicony River farmers watching weather
            Farmers along the Mahaicony River are observing the weather closely as several of them are apprehensive over what could happen as memories of the January floods are still fresh in their minds. »

            Lichfield boy no longer has to walk on his toes
            A 12-year-old boy of Lichfield, West Coast Berbice who had surgery at the St Joseph Mercy Hospital to correct his tendons is now able to walk flat on his feet rather than on his toes. »
            Guyana needs mothers' love, says AFC
            The Alliance For Change in a Mother's Day message said that mothers are special and admired. »
            GECOM commissioners at impasse over verification of preliminary voters list
            The Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) is no closer to a consensus on the verification of the preliminary voters list as commissioners are still stuck at an impasse. »
            New taxpayer identification number to be introduced
            The Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) plans to introduce a new Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) for use by all VAT registrants conducting business with the GRA. This was related to representatives of the Institute of Private Enterprise Develop-ment (IPED) last Wednesday, when representatives of the VAT Implementation Team updated IPED on its progress for implementation of VAT and the Excise Tax (ET) at IPED's Road office. »
            Summit workshop hears about harnessing skills exportation
            President says regional development fund long way off
            Gaining financing for bankable projects and finding ways to benefit from the increasing migration through skills exportation were some issues considered at the presidential business summit on Monday. »
            Khan seeking to challenge drug indictment in US
            Lawyers in the United States for wanted man, Roger Khan, are currently preparing to challenge a US grand jury indictment brought against the businessman as well as an arrest warrant which was issued for him. »
            West Bank Berbice streets to be rehabilitated
            Roads at Zorg-en-Hoop South, West Bank Berbice are to be rehabilitated at a cost of some $30.2M and the job is expected to be completed within five months. »
            Five held after Corentyne raid
            Five persons were arrested on Thursday on the Corentyne after police found a 16-gauge shotgun along with three cartridges at a home at Number 77 Village. »
            http://www.stabroeknews.com/index.pl/local_news