Re: [guyanese_genealogy] Hotel Prince of Wales in Demerara

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2005
      Hello Jose

      Sorry, can't find any trace of it anywhere.

      If there was a Hotel by that name it would most have likely been in Georgetown.

      The Hotel could also be known by another name, names of Buildings were often changed in honour of a arriving dignitary, hence the name "The Prince of Wales".

      A number of the Prince's of Wales(the eldest son of the ruling Monarch) have visited Guyana since the 19th Century.

      The Prince of Wales in 1865/8 would have been Victoria's eldest son Edward who would become Edward VII.

      The Hotel may have been named in his honour.

      The Royal Essequibo & Demerara Gazette may have details of any visits etc.

      The following people have copies of their Newspapers :

      I am not sure of the dates of the Newspapers that they hold but have a look at the above link as it has contact details etc.

      Hope this is of some help.

      jjimenez69 <jjimenez69@...> wrote:

      Hello: Does anyone know if there was a hotel by the name of Prince of
      Wales in Demerara during 1865-1868? If so, where can I find more
      information about it.

      Also, I am trying to find if any newspapers from the same place and
      time period exist. If so, where?

      I would appreciate a reply. Thanks. Jose

      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
    • jjimenez69
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2005
        Thank you for all your wonderful information, Jon! I will certainly
        follow up your leads! Regards, Jose

        --- In guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Jon - Budmart.co.uk"
        <budmartuk@y...> wrote:
        > Hello Jose
        >
        > Sorry, can't find any trace of it anywhere.
        >
        > If there was a Hotel by that name it would most have likely been in
        Georgetown.

        > The Hotel could also be known by another name, names of Buildings
        were often changed in honour of a arriving dignitary, hence the
        name "The Prince of Wales".

        > A number of the Prince's of Wales(the eldest son of the ruling
        Monarch) have visited Guyana since the 19th Century.

        > The Prince of Wales in 1865/8 would have been Victoria's eldest son
        Edward who would become Edward VII.

        > The Hotel may have been named in his honour.
        >
        > The Royal Essequibo & Demerara Gazette may have details of any
        visits etc.

        > The following people have copies of their Newspapers :
        >
        > http://ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au/~rvc/edg/index.html
        >
        > I am not sure of the dates of the Newspapers that they hold but
        have a look at the above link as it has contact details etc.

        > Hope this is of some help.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Jon
        >

        > jjimenez69 <jjimenez69@y...> wrote:
        >
        > Hello: Does anyone know if there was a hotel by the name of Prince
        of
        > Wales in Demerara during 1865-1868? If so, where can I find more
        > information about it.
        >
        > Also, I am trying to find if any newspapers from the same place and
        > time period exist. If so, where?
        >
        > I would appreciate a reply. Thanks. Jose
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Service.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2005

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2005