RE: [guyanese_genealogy] records

  • Richard B. Cheddie
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2006
      gentlemen ,

      I said it repeatedly acquisition of funds will not be the problem , the
      problem is getting a permissable access to the records and data to upload to
      a website.

      Everyone who showed interest in IDP seems obssessed with funds and this make
      me deeply concerned since no one is talking about getting GOG approval .

      Dr. Rose at UG and the archives will provide manual resources in addition to
      volunteers , while IDP will ensure adequate funds are raised and managed
      efficiently .

      Varuna

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2006
        Hello Jonathan

        There is great debate at the moment about the state of the Records.

        Various Guyanese Historical and Genealogical Groups are considering how best to save the Records and its Data for future Generations.

        It may not be possible too much to save the actual Documents themselves due to their condition which is irreversible but very possible to save the information from them.

        The idea of getting help from North American Universities is a good one as they have undertaken many similiar Projects.

        The University of Guyana is willing to participate in such a Project if only they would receive clearance from the Government who are making things awkward.

        I will keep you all abreast of any news as it is very lively discussion amongst Guyanese at the moment.

        jebratt <jonathanbratt@...> wrote:
[...]

        Solomon islandsSaudi arabianForeign land
        Papua new guineaGuyanaMigration

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2006
          Hello Ayana

          You have described the situation exactly as it is !

          There is a lot of interest in saving what is left and getting the information Transcribed Online onto various Databases but Official permission hasn't been granted so it has to be done privately by a mass of Volunteers.

          The problem being there are a wealth of Volunteers in North America and Europe for the Transcribing work but not many for the actual Digitising work in Guyana.

          On top of this some who have Digitised Records have ran into trouble with the Archives who haven't been to accomodating and have been more of a hinderance than a help.

          A lot of the pages are missing due to people helping themselves and tearing them out, the Security is a joke !

          ayanafirstborn <ayanafirstborn@...> wrote:
          I honestly beleive that these records will only be restore through private efforts.I dont think retoration and maintainance of historic information is a high priorityin the minds of public officials,and it is cetainly not high on the list of the average person in guyana.  On a recent visit to guyana.I started to research historical information about my family.I went to the G.p.o where records of births, deaths and marriages are kept.Much of the information are kept in books that apears to be more that thirty or forty years old.These books are tattered and torn and falling apart.Many of these books have missing pages.These pages no doubt have important information that future generations might want to access.It was a sickenning experience for me.Lets do something about it

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2006

            Hello Ayana,

            To add a bit to Jon’s post: Besides the Archivists who seems to be caught in the middle, the government and other prominent group SEEMS to have set up the blocks for personal and political gains. They have been using the race issue to try to block one group over the other from saving the records.

            Whatever records are remaining there will be saved, but in the meantime a lot of it will be lost. It is only by working together can all groups save their heritage.  It’s like looking at a warehouse burning that contains a lumberjack’s equipment, a gardener’s seeds, and a washer man’s detergent Since the three of them have been feuding the lumberjack does not want to use his axe to break the door, the gardener does not want to lend his hose to transport the water, and the laundromat does not want to let anyone use his tap.  Yet, all three complain that no one is doing anything to help.

            Cheddie

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2006
              Hello Richard

              That is a great illustration and one that is so true.

              Most of these Groups are looking for personal appraisal or advancements rather than dealing with the Project in hand !

              They are like Schoolchildren trying to get one over the other but are totally missing the point !