research

  • ayanafirstborn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2006
      i attempted to do some research on birth and death records in
      guyana.This information is in terrible shape.It is keep in huge books
      that are aging and falling apart.Something needs to be done about
      storing this rather important information elsewhere
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2006
        Hello Ayana

        The National Archives are in a terrible state.

        This Group and others have voiced their concerns about the conditions but have received little feedback from the Government in return.

        They had recently been moved to a new temporary Building as the old Building had been sold off.

        A lot of the Documents are lying on the floor and some have had pages torn out by Visitors and are in no real fit state.

        During the move a lot of the Documents were moved by Construction workers with Building gloves on rather than trained Staff so there is no respect or care for our Historical Documents.

        We and other Guyanese Historical Groups and Societies have complained about the situation and have been asking for Government funds for preservation but our concerns seem to be way down their list of priorities.

        A Number of our Colleagues at other Groups have started to preserve some of the information Online and elsewhere as a Secondary source as we do not know how long our Records will be safe in the hands of the Archives.

        It is something that has been noted and has received a lot of publicity but sadly short drift from the Authorities.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2006
          Dear all,
          I am thinking the best bet is to contact and to inform Howard Dodson of the Schomburg Center , and the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society. They could and or would recommend a donor who will be able to sponsor the preservation of the documents in conjunction with the University of Guyana .
          How about constructing emails in such a nature as to highlight your concerns to the Government of Guyana, the media in Guyana , and research institutions around the globe.

          Just maybe some one and or organizations will preserve the materials by digitalizing  and or  microfilming.

          "Jon - Budmart.co.uk" <budmartuk@...> wrote:
[...]

          Eternal Blessings, Love, Peace, Power & Unity
          M'lilwana Osanku  - Sancho of Nabaclis.
          Researching - Sancho, Campbell, Young (Younge), Solomon, Ross &  Martin -  Families of Guyana.
          History of Golden Grove and Nabaclis Village District, East Sea Coast Demerara, Guyana.
          "A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots."  The Most Honourable Marcus Garvey (1887-1940)

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 27, 2006
            Hello Sancho

            There is much debate at the moment at one of our fellow Guyanese Groups about the preservation of Guyana's Records.

            Some of the Members who are known to both of us have contacted the Guyana Government a number of times representing certain Guyanese Organizations and Historical Societies but have been unsucessful.

            The most they have achieved are meetings with President Jagdeo and Minister Teixeira but have not received any confirmation of funding or any further interest from the Government.

            It is now been thought that funding may have to be raised in the Private sector and from fundraising in order to get any form of preservation done.

            I know you are a Member of the same Group so would suggest you forwarding your idea to Richard Cheddie who is also a Member of this Group as it is another possible solution.

            Sancho of Nabaclis <childrenofsancho@...> wrote:
[...]

            Do you Yahoo!?