RE: [guyanese_genealogy] 1930 United States Federal Census

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 24, 2005
      Hello Jenn

      The best way is always to work your way backwards as the Tree gets bigger the more you go back.

      Their Birth records wouldn't be held at the National Archives but at the GRO (General Records Office) in the GPO Building in Robb Street, Georgetown.

      They don't have a E-Mail Address unfortunately but can be telephoned on :

      (592) 225-7561, (592) 226-1291, (592) 226-6333 or (592) 226-4575

      Any British Guiana records prior to 1880 (records of Baptism, Marriage and Burial) would be held by the Parish Churches.

      I hope you can get copies of their Birth Certificates as they will help you to move back another Generation.

      Regarding the Archives, as they have recently moved they may not be replying to any E-Mails or may be slow to respond.

      I hope you can take your search further.

      Jenn <jmss114@...> wrote:
      Thanks Jon.

      Unfortunately I'm currently stuck at my grand-parents info.  All that I know is David Applewhaite married Beatrice Waldron sometime around 1911 and had their first child, my mother on March 6, 1912.  Everything else is folk lore (word of mouth) at this stage.

      I need to get copies of their records before I can dig further into their history.  I found several individuals that I believe may be related, but that is not verifiable at this time.

      I sent an email to the archives in Guyana, and am currently awaiting a response from the sister that runs it.  So far I have not heard anything, not even how much it would cost.

      Jenn
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 24, 2005
        Message
        Jon,

        Didn't you guys say that the archives has church records?  I know they were Anglicans and were married at either St Georges and Christ Church.  I'm hoping that I can get a copy of their marriage certificate.  I GRO when I was in Guyana in 2001, but since I did not have their exact birth dates, they could not help me and they no longer allow anyone to just search through records.  Hopefully the archives will be able to help, else I'll have to wait for my next trip to Guyana to search for myself.  I've asked relatives who are still living there, but they are so disinterested that they would not even provide information about their current family, much less to do research.

[...]

      • Guyana Genealogical Scoiety
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 26, 2005

          That is exactly the main problem with researching your genealogy. Guyanese, are known for talking and no action - but we it comes to themselves and relatives - their lips are sealed, except for the very elderly, those well past 70 years of age - are far and away the family historians' best source of oral history.

          I found that my kinship the older folks who were exposed to my rudeness when I was a youngster are far more willing to cooperate with my efforts - failing memory and all. Being known as the Manish man in the kinship helps among the elderly females of my kinship.

          It is those of my generation who disappointed me the most. The females who were like my sisters, only care to chat of their present circumstances and what has befallen Sancho in Guyana, in recent years. Their children could careless for the knowledge of their past. I know for several has told me they are concerned with their affairs - not that of their grandparents, and other fore bearers - now I wept, for those were words of fellows whose rear ends I loving cleaned as if they were my very own.

          I am enlightened by members of the community on my kinship, more than I obtain from relatives. The print media including the following are outstanding sources of information; who is who in British Guiana, fourth edition, 1945-48, Daily Argosy, and Daily Chronicle -newspapers of British Guiana, and the Official Gazette of British Guiana.

          I guess it is easier when one's kinship in Guyana, has unique names such as Sancho, Young, and Campbell in the Guyanese Context - for in the international scope those names are quite common, indeed. Now, Although Sancho is a rare bird in England - I have not found the records of the dates of births of my ancestors therein. What is most troubling? Ignatius Sancho scholars have continued rejecting the idea that he may have fathered Sancho of Guyana, and the English speaking Caribbean nations. It is very difficult to prove them wrong for the Sancho family of Guyana has no idea when their fathers of the Guyana phase of their experience; Bentick, John and Tuckness Sancho were born. In fact, Sancho does not know when they died, and whom they married, names of their children, and children mothers - yet the known total of their off springs upon a single family tree are well past 900 souls. And, that with no accounting for one brother, and one child for another. Only, the good Lord knows the accurate tally of the descendants of Bentick, John and Tuckness Sancho.

          There are Sancho of Buxton and Berbice - whom I have no idea - which of the three brothers is their ancestor. And, to top that I can acquire no cooperation in getting to the bottom of it all. Guyanese lips are frozen. I wondered what Sancho has done them, which they simply refuse to shed light upon his footsteps, in their communities.

          What I would like to know is what data is found on a death, and marriage certificates of a Guyanese citizen? I know the dates of marriages of two relatives in the 19th. Century. I am hoping that their documentation would enlighten me as per the names of their parents, dates of births - et. al.; for they are not found in the cemeteries.

          How about detailing the data found on marriage and death certificates?

          Could you send me digital copies of marriage and death certificates?

          Thank you very much

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 26, 2005
            Hello Jenn

            The Archives have some Church records but most of them will still be retained by the Parish Churches.

            St Georges is a major Church, they most likely have all the records still available, i am not too sure about Christchurch.

            Some St Georges records are Online but not all, i will see if i can find anything and get back to you.

            Their Marriage Certificates will be held at the GRO, unfortunately as you say they won't let you search throught their records so you need to find the right dates.

            It is such a shame that Relatives won't help out, it is a common factor to all Genealogists when Family refuse to help or pretend they don't know anything.

            A lot of the older Generations assume we are being nosy and don't wish to tell anyone their business but they fail to understand that in decades when they are gone so will be their History !

            My own Family have lots of Photos of people who were related but no one now knows who they are or aren't sure who they are as they never passed down their details !

            It is something we have to persevere with or we would never get the information we need, you may need to trick them into talking ! LOL

            I will see if i can find anything on the Church records and get back to you although it may be a week or two but i will definately get back.

            Watch this space !

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 27, 2005
              Message
              Jon,

              Thank you.  You guys are much more helpful than my own family members.  As you said, most of them are "too busy" or just do not care.  Although I told them that I am creating a genealogical history of the family and would provide them each with a copy free of charge, I am still waiting (for two years now) for the information about current descendants of two brothers.  As for the ancestors, all of the aunts, uncles, and parents are all dead ... so except for siblings, there is nothing else.  Most of them are either in Canada, the US, or dead.  So my only hope for help is from nieces or nephews ... but they are the ones who are "too busy" or disinterested.  What yuh gun do?  Sadly enough when they want something, they aren't too busy then.  Maybe I'll start using some blackmail.   If you want something ... then do something.
              Too bad we have to resort to these tactics.

[...]

            • Richard B. Cheddie
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 27, 2005
                Message

                Jenn,

                What I have found to be helpful in getting info is to send an outline of a family tree with blatantly erroneous info (like putting the wrong children’s name under the person whose children name you need) to the person who is not providing the data and ask them to verify that their name is spelled correctly and let them know that you will soon be sending it out for printing and framing as soon as you get in all of the corrected info from the rest of the family. This usually gets a prompt call or e-mail to correct the issue. A little bit of tergiversation, but it all for the good of the clan.

                Sometimes it takes an important event, or something totally unrelated to the genealogy project that gets family members interested. Don’t give up hope. You would be surprised who comes around after a number of years.

                Cheddie

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 28, 2005
                  Hello Jenn

                  We are all interested in the same Subject and have all been where you have been regarding Family interest.

                  We have to be Physcologists and Sociologists as well as Genealogists in this Game !

                  Family get togethers are a good way where we can quietly sneak Genealogy in without anyone noticing by adding Humour or telling stories, then they will start to talk, a few bottles of Rum can also work wonders ! LOL

                  "Ah lickle Rum help de 'ol folk dem tell good story !" LOL

                  Seriously, i wouldn't let it get your back up and give tit for tat but help them out when they ask but remind them how good you are to do it for them but would like a favour in return !

                  There are ways of getting information, we just need patience and to be a bit crafty !

                  Jenn <jmss114@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Yahoo! for Good

                • Jenn
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 30, 2005
                    Message
                    Sancho,

                    I will try to find the copy of my marriage certificate to my ex and post that later.  I've recreated the form that is used for birth certificates and am attaching it here for you.  I does not list the birthdates of the parents unfortunately.    In the section for Father's and Mother's names, the term "other description" was usually satisfied with the term "Native of" followed by their country of Birth.

                    Jenn

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 5, 2005
                      Hi Jenn,

                      I thank you  so very much. I do not know when last I viewed a Guyanese birth certificate. I do not know where the last copy of documenting the data of my birthing  I had in my possession is. I believe in Detroit. More than likely it was thrown in the garbage - left Detroit in February 1985. I remember because it was the last time I saw images of myself which were photographed in Guyana.
                      Any one who knows what is found on the death certificate (Guyanese) feel free to holler - will you?

                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 6, 2005
                        From what i can remember, on the birth certificate it
                        has the name of your parents, their birthdates(i
                        think), occupation etc.

                        <guyanagenealogy@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Jenn,
                        >
                        > I thank you so very much. I do not know when last I
                        > viewed a Guyanese birth certificate. I do not know
                        > where the last copy of documenting the data of my
                        > birthing I had in my possession is. I believe in
                        > Detroit. More than likely it was thrown in the
                        > garbage - left Detroit in February 1985. I remember
                        > because it was the last time I saw images of myself
                        > which were photographed in Guyana.
                        > Any one who knows what is found on the death
                        > certificate (Guyanese) feel free to holler - will
                        > you?
                        >
                        > Jenn <jmss114@...> wrote:
                        > Sancho,
                        >
                        > I will try to find the copy of my marriage
                        > certificate to my ex and post that later. I've
                        > recreated the form that is used for birth
                        > certificates and am attaching it here for you. I
                        > does not list the birthdates of the parents
                        > unfortunately. In the section for Father's and
                        > Mother's names, the term "other description" was
                        > usually satisfied with the term "Native of" followed
                        > by their country of Birth.
                        >
                        > Jenn

                        === message truncated ===

                        Nuff Blessings.