Williams Family Genealogy : Who is who in British Guiana

  • M'lilwana Osanku
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2010

      Christgy0@...

      Williams Family Genealogy - Norris Williams

      Peace and Blessings!

      Please allow me to apologise for not responding much sooner to your correspondence. I do not possess a copy of any of the four editions of the who is who in British Guiana . Thus, I would not be able to say beyond a shadow of doubt whether there is any mention of your Williams ancestry therein. I can assure, that it is my understanding copy of the four  editions of the who is who in British Guiana are accessible and available at the Caribbean Research Centre - the library of the University of Guyana - at Turkeyen on the East Coast of Demerara. I put it to you to may be the necessary enquiries.

      I can assure you there are entries in the fourth edition of folks surnamed Williams. I am not sure when I shall wend my way to the research library in Manhattan New York City.  Therefore, I cannot promise you I shall jump to it. I think is high time all four copies of the publication as well as the two volumes of A. J. Seymour’s Dictionary of Guyanese Biography are made available at all of the branch libraries of the National Library. Also, a few more other texts on the history of villages in British Guiana must be made available to the reading public. In other words they ought to be reprinted and be made available to the general public.

      The best thing for you to do is obtain copies of the certificates of the births of your Williams ancestors. I do not know if this is of interest to you - but Williams is found in most of the so-called African villages on the East Coast of Demerara. I would not be surprised to be enlightened that people possess the surname in every community in Guyana where Blacks and Portuguese are to be found. There were several kinships of Williams in the Golden Grove and Nabaclis Village District. I distinctly remember that Portuguese Williams operated a Lemonade factory in the district. In fact, the ancestor of one of my First-Cousins is a Miss Williams. It appears her ancestry includes people of mixed heritage surnamed Callighan. That name appears to be amongst those which have long disappeared from Guyana .

      There was also the most honourable Dr. Frank Williams. He was an outstanding medical practitioner in the colony of British Guiana .  He is the father of Anadaye (I am not sure I got the spelling accurately). She is one of the outstanding advocates for women’s rights and upliftment of working class people in Guyana . She was also formerly a head Mistress of a Secondary School.

      “Discovering and reclaiming our ancestral heritage; Honoring our ancestors must become to the descendants as natural as breathing.” ...M’lilwana Osanku

      From: 5926413093@...
      Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 12:39:59 -0400
      To: chrisgy0@...

      {no text body}