RE: [guyanese_genealogy] Henry Smith (1841)

  • Cheryl Russell
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2009

      Sorry I can’t shed any light on this at all!

      Cheryl Russell

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2009
        When you find out anything, I'd love to know. My ancestors, William and Sarah Turner, also left Guyana for New York around that same year, having lived about a decade in Guyana after coming there from Great Britain. His father was an upholsterer in London, and there is speculation they went to Guyana to oversee the woodpicking. But why did they go to New York rather than back to Britain?

        Do you know anything about your ancestor's occupation? That might give you some clues. --Joanne

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2009
          Henry Smith was a mariner and (apparently) he died at sea off St Lucia in 1896.
          I have a copy of the 1861 census which shows him living as a boarder in Liverpool.
          The 1871 and 1881 census' show him living in London with his wife, Ann, and their
          3 children.  I have a copy of Henry and Ann's wedding certificate which shows Henry's
          father as a Clark Smith, but I have no idea where Clark originated from and why he
          went to Guyana.