RE: [guyanese_genealogy] Information

  • Cheryl Russell
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 14 8:58 AM

      Hello Gerry,

      I received the info  on Berkely Gaskin from Mlilwana Osanku [childrenofsancho@...]; thank you for checking it. I cannot tie it in with the little I know about my Gaskins but will keep it just in case I find out more.

      I have just spoken to the Registrar Office in Guyana but they can’t send me my great grandmother’s  birth certificate because I don’t have the DOB (just the year) and they don’t do searches! Don’t know what to do about that – just hope I get lucky I suppose!

      Thanks again for your help.

      Kind Regards

      Cheryl

      Cheryl Russell

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 14 9:01 AM

        Apparently the National Archive or the General Register Office, general Post Office Building, Georgetown.

        Good luck – I am in the UK and getting nowhere fast!

        Cheryl Russell

        From: Mlilwana Osanku <childrenofsancho@...>
        Subject: [guyanese_genealogy] Re: Berkley Gaskin
        To: guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thursday, August 13, 2009, 11:47 AM

        GILL - At 1PM on Tuesday, July 2, 1940, at 51 Fourth Street Albert town, KITTY daughter of Prudence Ann Gill, sister of Valerie Gill, Mother of Greta Callender, cousin of Sydney Gaskin (Master-Contractor), and Berkley and Thelma Gaskin, aunt of Edward Durant of the Daily chronicle Limited and Kit Durant.
        Funeral will take place from the above address at 4PM, today.
        Friends please accept this the only intimation.
        Source: The Daily Chronicle, Wednesday, July 3, 1940:page 4.

        BERKLEY BERTRAM MCGARRELL GASKIN
        Born: March 21, 1908
        Educated: at Clarkson Congregational, Albert town (under Head Master A. G. Devonish), and Queen's College
        Clubs: Demerara Cricket Club, Churchman's Union
        man of the week #37
        Source: Man of the Week #37 -  The Daily Argosy - Saturday, May 7, 1938 :page 9. Berkley Gaskin and Winifred Thierens of Buxton were married. they reproduced a few children, at least two sons. Winifred Gaskin would become more popular than her husband in Guyana, and the Caribbean Basin.

        --- In guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Yellowbird227684@... wrote:

        > Hi,

        > If I remember Berkeley Gaskin played cricket for BG in the 1950s. I'll
        > check this out and get back to you.

        > Gerry

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:guyanese_genealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:guyanese_genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Joan Seymour
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 14 11:30 AM
          You could also try the National Library where they have a stock of old
          newspapers that might have some nugget you are seeking. Re the birth
          certificate copy, if you also do not have the ward e.g. Bourda,
          Lacytown, Queenstown, etc in which the person was born you will not get
          too far with the search. JOan

          Joan T.Seymour,
          Consultant

          Cheryl Russell wrote:

          > Apparently the National Archive or the General Register Office,
          > general Post Office Building, Georgetown.
          >
          > Good luck – I am in the UK and getting nowhere fast!
          >
          > */Cheryl Russell/*

        • stella webb
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 15 4:56 AM
            All I know is he was born in Demerara, Guyana.

            ymailto="mailto:childrenofsancho@...">childrenofsancho@...>/*

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 15 4:59 AM
              Do you know if the records go back as far as 1841?  I contacted the records office in
              St Lucia about a record of death for Henry (1896) but it was too early - apparently they
              didn't start to keep records until much later.

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/guyanese_ genealogy/ join

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 16 4:26 AM

                I believe that is where my great grandmother, Elfreda (or Elfrida) Beatrice Gaskin was born as well (1874). Is that likely to be enough? (presuming I ever establish a DOB that is, or manage to get it searched...!)

                Cheryl Russell

                href="mailto:childrenofsancho@...">childrenofsancho@...>/*

                href="http://us.mc654.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com" target="_blank">http://us.mc654.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com>,

                href="mailto:guyanese_genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com">guyanese_genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                href="http://us.mc654.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=guyanese_genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com" target="_blank">http://us.mc654.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=guyanese_genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>