Information

  • collis glasgow
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 5, 2009
      Hello there everyone, I too am looking for someone and would like to know if I can be helped. I am looking for a young lady who may be married by now, her name is Sharon Ross. She and her family had moved from Liverpool Village and had relocated somewhere either in Georgetown or West Coast Demerara. I am not sure where she is living now, but if anyone can help kindly do so.

      Collis.

      Nuff Blessings.

    • Cheryl Russell
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 6, 2009

        Sorry I can’t help any of you but does anyone know anything about the Gaskins? George A Gaskin (from Barbados) married I know not whom but their children, Elfrida and possibly Helena and Clarissa were born in Demerara. Elfrida was born in 1874, Helena in 1867. Where in Guyana could I find (preferably online!) a birth registration for Elfrida Gaskin? (In order to find her mother’s name).

        I would be grateful for any help or pointers.

        Thank you.

        Cheryl Russell

      • Yellowbird227684@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 10, 2009
          Hi,

          If I remember Berkeley Gaskin played cricket for BG in the 1950s. I'll check this out and get back to you.

          Gerry
        • Mlilwana Osanku
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 13, 2009
            GILL - At 1PM on Tuesday, July 2, 1940, at 51 Fourth Street Albert town, KITTY daughter of Prudence Ann Gill, sister of Valerie Gill, Mother of Greta Callender, cousin of Sydney Gaskin (Master-Contractor), and Berkley and Thelma Gaskin, aunt of Edward Durant of the Daily chronicle Limited and Kit Durant.
            Funeral will take place from the above address at 4PM, today.
            Friends please accept this the only intimation.
            Source: The Daily Chronicle, Wednesday, July 3, 1940:page 4.

            BERKLEY BERTRAM MCGARRELL GASKIN
            Born: March 21, 1908
            Educated: at Clarkson Congregational, Albert town (under Head Master A. G. Devonish), and Queen's College
            Clubs: Demerara Cricket Club, Churchman's Union
            man of the week #37
            Source: Man of the Week #37 - The Daily Argosy - Saturday, May 7, 1938 :page 9. Berkley Gaskin and Winifred Thierens of Buxton were married. they reproduced a few children, at least two sons. Winifred Gaskin would become more popular than her husband in Guyana, and the Caribbean Basin.

            --- In guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Yellowbird227684@... wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > If I remember Berkeley Gaskin played cricket for BG in the 1950s. I'll
            > check this out and get back to you.
            >
            > Gerry

          • Tyrone Powaday
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 13, 2009
              Hi my name is Tyrone Powaday and my question is if I am in Guyana where do i go to start research on family history??

              GILL - At 1PM on Tuesday, July 2, 1940, at 51 Fourth Street Albert town, KITTY daughter of Prudence Ann Gill, sister of Valerie Gill, Mother of Greta Callender, cousin of Sydney Gaskin (Master-Contractor), and Berkley and Thelma Gaskin, aunt of Edward Durant of the Daily chronicle Limited and Kit Durant.
              Funeral will take place from the above address at 4PM, today.
              Friends please accept this the only intimation.
              Source: The Daily Chronicle, Wednesday, July 3, 1940:page 4.

              BERKLEY BERTRAM MCGARRELL GASKIN
              Born: March 21, 1908
              Educated: at Clarkson Congregational, Albert town (under Head Master A. G. Devonish), and Queen's College
              Clubs: Demerara Cricket Club, Churchman's Union
              man of the week #37
              Source: Man of the Week #37 -  The Daily Argosy - Saturday, May 7, 1938 :page 9. Berkley Gaskin and Winifred Thierens of Buxton were married. they reproduced a few children, at least two sons. Winifred Gaskin would become more popular than her husband in Guyana, and the Caribbean Basin.

              --- In guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Yellowbird227684@... wrote:

              > Hi,

              > If I remember Berkeley Gaskin played cricket for BG in the 1950s. I'll
              > check this out and get back to you.

              > Gerry

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:guyanese_genealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:guyanese_genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Cheryl Russell
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 14, 2009

                Hello Gerry,

                I received the info  on Berkely Gaskin from Mlilwana Osanku [childrenofsancho@...]; thank you for checking it. I cannot tie it in with the little I know about my Gaskins but will keep it just in case I find out more.

                I have just spoken to the Registrar Office in Guyana but they can’t send me my great grandmother’s  birth certificate because I don’t have the DOB (just the year) and they don’t do searches! Don’t know what to do about that – just hope I get lucky I suppose!

                Thanks again for your help.

                Kind Regards

                Cheryl

                Cheryl Russell

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 14, 2009

                  Apparently the National Archive or the General Register Office, general Post Office Building, Georgetown.

                  Good luck – I am in the UK and getting nowhere fast!

                  Cheryl Russell

                  Hi my name is Tyrone Powaday and my question is if I am in Guyana where do i go to start research on family history??

                  GILL - At 1PM on Tuesday, July 2, 1940, at 51 Fourth Street Albert town, KITTY daughter of Prudence Ann Gill, sister of Valerie Gill, Mother of Greta Callender, cousin of Sydney Gaskin (Master-Contractor), and Berkley and Thelma Gaskin, aunt of Edward Durant of the Daily chronicle Limited and Kit Durant.
                  Funeral will take place from the above address at 4PM, today.
                  Friends please accept this the only intimation.
                  Source: The Daily Chronicle, Wednesday, July 3, 1940:page 4.

                  BERKLEY BERTRAM MCGARRELL GASKIN
                  Born: March 21, 1908
                  Educated: at Clarkson Congregational, Albert town (under Head Master A. G. Devonish), and Queen's College
                  Clubs: Demerara Cricket Club, Churchman's Union
                  man of the week #37
                  Source: Man of the Week #37 -  The Daily Argosy - Saturday, May 7, 1938 :page 9. Berkley Gaskin and Winifred Thierens of Buxton were married. they reproduced a few children, at least two sons. Winifred Gaskin would become more popular than her husband in Guyana, and the Caribbean Basin.

                  --- In guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Yellowbird227684@... wrote:

                  > Hi,

                  > If I remember Berkeley Gaskin played cricket for BG in the 1950s. I'll
                  > check this out and get back to you.

                  > Gerry

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      mailto:guyanese_genealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      mailto:guyanese_genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Joan Seymour
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 14, 2009
                    You could also try the National Library where they have a stock of old
                    newspapers that might have some nugget you are seeking. Re the birth
                    certificate copy, if you also do not have the ward e.g. Bourda,
                    Lacytown, Queenstown, etc in which the person was born you will not get
                    too far with the search. JOan

                    Joan T.Seymour,
                    Consultant

                    Cheryl Russell wrote:

                    > Apparently the National Archive or the General Register Office,
                    > general Post Office Building, Georgetown.
                    >
                    > Good luck – I am in the UK and getting nowhere fast!
                    >
                    > */Cheryl Russell/*

                  • stella webb
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 15, 2009
                      All I know is he was born in Demerara, Guyana.

                      ymailto="mailto:childrenofsancho@...">childrenofsancho@...>/*

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 15, 2009
                        Do you know if the records go back as far as 1841?  I contacted the records office in
                        St Lucia about a record of death for Henry (1896) but it was too early - apparently they
                        didn't start to keep records until much later.

                            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/guyanese_ genealogy/ join

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 16, 2009

                          I believe that is where my great grandmother, Elfreda (or Elfrida) Beatrice Gaskin was born as well (1874). Is that likely to be enough? (presuming I ever establish a DOB that is, or manage to get it searched...!)

                          Cheryl Russell

                          href="mailto:childrenofsancho@...">childrenofsancho@...>/*

                          href="http://us.mc654.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com" target="_blank">http://us.mc654.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com>,

                          href="mailto:guyanese_genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com">guyanese_genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                          href="http://us.mc654.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=guyanese_genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com" target="_blank">http://us.mc654.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=guyanese_genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>