Re: [guyanese_genealogy] Re: Website

    Message 1 of 19 , May 16 10:18 AM
      Hello Sharon

      The Freehomepages.com/Cybamall.com doesn't provide Web Addresses just the webspace.

      They do however, provide loads of space which is ideal if you are knowledgeable about HTML.

      I know the basics and have put together one of my sites using their webspace.

      I have found it is better doing it this way as there are no restrictions on what you can add plus you can add Tables etc which aren't allowed on some free webspace sites.

      I read somewhere that all the .org Addresses are free as they are for non-profit making Societies/Charities etc.

      I will look into it more and try to find someone that provides free .org web addresses.

      So to recap, we can get loads of free webspace HTML or other, should be able to get a free .org web Address, all we need is free hosting.

      Angelfire, Geocities, Bravenet etc provide free hosting with their sites.

      Maybe the providers of free .org Addresses also provide free hosting, i will find out.

      If not then the provider of a ordinary web Address will also provide free hosting but it normally comes with pop ups like my site.

      I will see what i can find out and get back, hopefully with some good news.

      I live in Surrey, just outside London, i know about Colindale but haven't yet been there although it is on my list of places to visit.

      It is where the BL keeps it's Newspaper section and it is in North west London somewhere.

      The Mormon's have a Family records centre in Salt Lake City, they also have a few smaller branches Worldwide including London where we are able to do research their records.

      It could be something to look up while you are there.

      Speak to you soon about the web space etc.

      Sharon <deuxchat@...> wrote:
      I don't think the WorldGen project is still viable with the
      exception of a few sites and it doesn't look as though Rootsweb is
      doing anything about it.  So sad for us.

      I looked at the freepages.com site and didn't see a free site for
      an ".org " organization, without ads.  Do you have the exact URL for
      that?

      You're right - many people know more about ancestral countries than
      do locals.  Where are you in the UK?  Have you ever been to the
      library at Colindale?  I can't get to England, but when I get to
      Salt Lake City, I plan to look for the following:

      These first 2 are known to be in several libraries in the UK but
      none known in the US:
          A voyage to the Demerary, containing a statistical account of
          the settlements there, and of those on the Essequebo, the
          Berbice, and other contiguous rivers of Guyana /
               By Henry Bolingbroke  published in London, 1807
                  (Book held by Manchester, Oxford and Wellcome Libraries)

          Guyanese sugar plantations in the late nineteenth century : a
          contemporary description from the "Argosy" / edited and
          introduced by Walter Rodney , Guyana, 1979
                (books held by:  SAS, Univ College of London, and ULL)

      I do know that copies of the following are at the Salt Lake City
      library:
         Veecock, Inge R (Main Author)    -  Births, marriages, deaths,
         1880 - 1896 : announcements as reported in The Argosy newspaper,
         Georgetown, British Guiana.   Copied from microfilms, shelfmark
         551, at the British Newspaper Library at Colindale (England).
         Includes index. London : I.R. Veecock, 1996, 988.15/G1 B3

         Veecock, Inge R. - Also - Births, marriages, deaths, 1864-1880 :
         announcements as reported in the Colonist newspaper, Georgetown,
         British Guiana  988.15/G1 B3

      All of these would be of great assistance in doing our research.

      Sharon

      --- In guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Jon - Budmart.co.uk"
      <budmartuk@y...> wrote:
      > Hello Sharon

      > He proberly got fed up waiting for someone to relieve him !! LOL

      > Regarding Worldgen's rules, i haven't lived in Guyana as i am born
      and raised in the U.K. but i have stayed over there a number of
      times with Relatives in the Country which in Guyana is like living
      there !!

      > My knowledge of Guyanese History and Geography is immense as it is
      part of my Heritage.

      > I proberly know more about Guyana than a lot of people who do live
      there !!

      > I don't know whether this would persuade them or not ?

      > On the same subject, i may be wrong but i don't think Suriname's
      Co-ordinator is Surinamese unless he lives there.

      > Regarding the webspace, pop up adds are a bit of a nuisance and
      may put people off looking at the site as it takes away it's
      professional image but if we can't get webspace from Rootsweb we
      won't have much choice.

      > Alternatively, if you are good at HTML,
      freehomepages.com/cybamall.com offfers masses of webspace, my main
      site runs there and i am only using a fraction of my allocated
      space !!

      > Although i have pop ups on this site, these are from my web name
      hosts and not from the webspace providers.

      > As a Genealogical site we are a non-profit making site so can
      apply for a free .org web name and free hosting, hence no pop ups.

      > Bravenet may provide a reasonable service, others like Geocities
      and Angelfire proberly offer the same services.

      > Some way or some how we will get some thing running.

      > Regards

      > Jon
      >
      > Sharon <deuxchat@y...> wrote:
      > Hi --
      > When I told my son about volunteer to host the Guyana site, he
      sent
      > an email to see what would happen.... (to the "coordinator of
      South
> [...]
      > > >
      > > > Could you link to http://youngefamilyheritage.com? That's a
      > family
      > > web site in which the story of my family is being told.
      > > > I love what I saw - how about  a full name like Guyana
      > > Genealogical & Biographical Society?
      > > >  I envisioned something in the footsteps of New York
      > Genealogical
      > > and Biographical Society, which on East 58 Street, in Manhattan,
      > and
      > > linking with them in the future.
      > > > What are your views?..
      > > >
      > > > Sharon <deuxchat@y...> wrote:
      > > > Hello everyone --
      > > > I've been offline but haven't forgotten our website.  I'm
      > working
      > > on
      > > > a mock-up site to spark ideas and input from all of you, so
      that
      > > > we'll have the site we all want.  I will post a URL where you
      > can
      > > > all see it.  I don't have any photos of my own of Guyana so
      the
      > > mock-
      > > > up will have stock photos until we can get some not
      copyrighted
      > we
      > > > can use.
      > > >
      > > > I thought I'd also work on a page of the surnames we are
      > > > researching. You can email me and let me know you'd like your
      > > > surnames included - please give the following information:
      > > > Surname;   First/Middle Names;  Era of Person in Guyana (i.e.,
      > > 1800-
      > > > 1898);  Birth Location (i.e., Georgetown, Berbice, etc.); and
      > > > spouse's first & last names (maiden).
      > > >
      > > > Rootsweb provides us with a guestbook and I suggest we use it
      as
      > > > both a guestbook and for a bulletin board, where visitors can
      > post
      > > > their surnames or thoughts on Guyanese genealogy research.
      > > However,
      > > > I'd like to really promote the use of this group site because
      > here
      > > > we can interact!  I'll be working on a graphic that visitors
      can
      > > > click on to join the group.
      > > >
      > > > I'll be posting the mock-up sometime this week - hopefully!
      > > >
      > > > Sharon
      > > >

      > > > M'lilwana Osanku -[Selwyn H. Ross]--Sancho of Nabaclis
      > > > Researcher for Sancho Family History
      > > > Golden Grove and Nabaclis, Guyana.

      > > > ---------------------------------
      > > > Yahoo! Mail Mobile
      > > > Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.
      > > >

      > > > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !

      > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
      > > >

      > > > M'lilwana Osanku -[Selwyn H. Ross]--Sancho of Nabaclis
      > > > Researcher for Sancho Family History
      > > > Golden Grove and Nabaclis, Guyana.

      > > > ---------------------------------
      > > > Yahoo! Mail Mobile
      > > > Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.
      > > >
      > > > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !

      > > > Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search.
      Learn
      > > more.
      > > >

      > > > M'lilwana Osanku -[Selwyn H. Ross]--Sancho of Nabaclis
      > > > Researcher for Sancho Family History
      > > > Golden Grove and Nabaclis, Guyana.

      > > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      > > Service.
      > > >

      > > > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !

      > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      > Service.
      > >

      > > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !

      Service.

      > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Yahoo! Mail Mobile
      >  Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Richard B. Cheddie
      Message 2 of 19 , May 16 10:38 PM

        There is Guyana listing under http://genforum.genealogy.com/

        It is under South America

        I have came across that site a few times, it is still looking a host and has been for at least the last 2 years as far as i am aware.

        The Suriname site has been running quite well for the same length of time or longer and i wondered why the Guyana site couldn't run similiarly.

        If anyone has already contacted them, please let me know, if not i will send them a E-Mail and see what happens.

        <budmartuk@y...> wrote:
> [...]

        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Mail Mobile
        >

        > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !

        > http://mail.yahoo.com
        >

        > M'lilwana Osanku -[Selwyn H. Ross]--Sancho of Nabaclis
        > Researcher for Sancho Family History
        > Golden Grove and Nabaclis, Guyana.

        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Mail Mobile
        >
        > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !

        > Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search. Learn
        more.

        > M'lilwana Osanku -[Selwyn H. Ross]--Sancho of Nabaclis
        > Researcher for Sancho Family History
        > Golden Grove and Nabaclis, Guyana.

        Service.

        > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Mail
        >  Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

        Yahoo! Mail Mobile

        Message 3 of 19 , May 20 8:15 AM
          Hello Sharon

          I don't know where i read it but can't find any more on it and have found there now seems to be a charge for .org Addresses as there is for all other Web Addresses.

          The best i can find is the following :

          It doesn't seem to be a easy site to follow but if it offers a free Domain etc it could be worth looking into, apart from that we would have to return to earlier options.

          What are your views ?

          Message 4 of 19 , May 20 8:38 AM
            Hello again Sharon and all

            I have decided to give Rootsweb another chance to see if they will accept our application.

            If i don't hear anything by this time next week then they proberly aren't interested.

            If so, then we have to start refering to our other options.

            If they accept, then its all systems go !!

            I will keep you updated on any progress.

            <budmartuk@y...> wrote:
> [...]

            > > > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !

            > > > Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search.
            Learn
            > > more.
            > > >

            > > > M'lilwana Osanku -[Selwyn H. Ross]--Sancho of Nabaclis
            > > > Researcher for Sancho Family History
            > > > Golden Grove and Nabaclis, Guyana.

            > > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            > > Service.
            > > >

            > > > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !

            > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            > Service.
            > >

            > > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !

            Service.

            > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > Yahoo! Mail Mobile
            >  Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.

          • Sharon
            Message 5 of 19 , May 20 10:04 AM
              Hi Jon and all,

              Thanks for the tip on finding the free org site. I will follow that
              and see how it works.

              Yesterday, I finally heard from Rootsweb - here is the message from
              them....

              --

              >Vicki- RootsWeb Web Accounts Team

              I have asked M'lilwana for a mailing address we can use but haven't
              heard back with an address yet. The need for structure s what I was
              referring to in an earlier message - having officers and some
              structure (such as a home base, mailing address, etc.) in order to
              have "official" status. Most genealogy societies have a mailing
              address so people can send in their membership dues and communicate
              with the Society. Hopefully, we can handle most things online but if
              there is to be a membership form and dues, they would have to be
              sent via post office.

              If anyone wants to volunteer an address - for at least the
              beginnings of our society - it would be great. The address would
              need to be "good" and have someone willing to handle incoming mail -
              if any. I would think the address would have to be as follows
              because the volunteer would need his/her name included to guarantee
              delivery:

              Attn: Secretary/Treasurer - (The volunteer's name)
              Guyana Genealogical and Biographical Society
              (The volunteer's mailing address)

              I would prefer not to give my address as I volunteered to create a
              website and I'm unable to do more.

              I received the Rootsweb message yesterday, so I need to reply right
              away.

              Thanks,

              Message 6 of 19 , May 20 11:42 AM
                Hello Sharon

                I have just sent my message to Rootsweb today, i should have waited a bit longer.

                We asked for one and might end up getting two lots of webspace !! LOL

                We hadn't reckoned on a Mailing Address as we are based Online but i suppose all "proper" Societies etc have a Mailing Address.

                We would also have to provide a Fax Number and possibly a Phone Number (although i am not too keen, as i wouldn't wish to be woken up at 3 in the morning !!)

                This is something we all need to sort out before we can get back as it makes us look unprofessional.

                We need to supply a Mailing Address, E-Mail Address, Website Address (temporary one will do for now) and possibly a Phone and Fax Number.

                I would personally like to keep it free of dues but we can still provide a Mailing Address, just to meet the rquirements although we would have to be prepared for actually receiving Mail !!

                Would the Address have to be based in Guyana or can it be based outside ?

                If any Address will do, i would be prepared to offer mine as a possible temporary Address for now, we could always change it in the future.

                Please let me know what you think and i will send you a reply Saturday.

                To we speak again.

                <budmartuk@y...> wrote:
> [...]

                > > > However,
                > > here
                > can

                > Learn
                > > > more.

                > > > Service.

                > > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                > > Service.
                > > >

                > > > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !

                > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                > Service.
                > >

                > > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !

                > > Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                > >  Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.
                >

                > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !

                Service.

                > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !

                >  Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.

                Yahoo! Mail