Re: [guyanese_genealogy] Fox and Morrison Family

  • Lynette Gibson
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 5, 2008
      Hello Olinda:

      I knew a Vesta Marshall who worked with me at the NIS in the 70's.  As far as I know she is in Canada.

      FYI and regards.

      olinda plange <olindaplange@...> wrote:
      Thank you very much for replying and also producing some very valuable information some of which I found to be decked with humour. Chuncha Hope was the Village cryier who used to ring the Village bell at Victoria and made the announcements which ended in ' Matte tell Matte, Tarra tel Tarra. This information has led me  to develop the idea that you seem to be very knowledgeable about people between Victoia and Golden Grove /Nabaclis. I feel very at home communicating with an older grass root who has the skills to illicit information from the exact locations. I have found that there are Morrisons in Nabaclis, Enmore, Haslington but predominantly by the score in Victoria. I have also been trying to locate the Fox family who perhaps have emigrated. There were twin boys from ? BV/Buxton who attended Queens College.  Maternally, I am also related to the Fredricks, (Cyril , (Poppy) Fredricks from Beterverwagting, Ex Assistant Commissioner of Police . The Perreira family, Victor, Gloria and Doreen from Golden Grove.  The elder Vic Perriera owned the shop by the railway line. I will make contact when I next travel to Guyana. I would also like to get in touch with another  school friend by the name of Vesta Marshall, who I believe is a resident  on one of the islands. She is the sister of Ernest, Stanley and Cecily . She is the niece of  the late and Major Thompson and Mae Thompson of Victoria Village. I would also honour the memory of  Mr. Morrison, Headteacher, Golden Grove, Mr. Melbourne (Golden Grove) was indeed an influential figure who sometimes invigilated the school leaving examinations.  Mr. Stanley. A. Truman, ( deceased, Buxton), my headteacher of Victoria Roman Catholic School, who always kept a wild cane under his desk for punishment and discipline, My beloved teachers, Mrs.Doreen Ainsworth, headteacher,  ( deceased Victoria),  Mrs. Claribel Joseph, ( deceased,Golden Grove) I must also mention Cecil Saul, (USA), a polite, motivated, scholar and well loved by my family.These people are very familiar with my relatives and are some of the main sources of inspiration to my health and well being.

      Thank you again for the information which was truly a wonderful spiritual voyage of reminisccence for me.

      Olinda Morrison Plange

      There was a family named Sealey that lived at the corner of David and Earl's Avenue in Kitty almost opposite the Sanchos (your relatives,M' lilwana ) . I knew one of the boys named Geoffrey,the others I do not remember.
      From: olindaplange@ btinternet. com
      Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:29:56 +0000
      Subject: [guyanese_genealogy ] Fox and Morrison Family

      Hello everyone,

      I have sent a message last year about my family history. The Surname
      on my maternal side is Fox and paternally Morrison. I have received
      no response from anyone. I would appreciate a swift reply.
      But first I will give some background information about the Fox
      family who lived in Hope Village/Nootenzuil on the East Coast of
      Demerara. The Morrison family are from Airyhall Village/Mahaicony.

      My mother's name is Ambrozine Rebecca Fox (B.February1904- D.1978) and
      married my Father Reginald Ignatious Morrison (B.October 1894-D.1979.

      The records are very difficult to find and we need to find out if
      anyone is a friend or family member of the Fox and Morrison family.

      Relatives are also with the surnames of London, Luke, Trotman or
      Trottman, Seymour, Sealey, Collins, Basil, Duke, Joseph, and Williams.

      I await to hear from you.

      With kind regards

      Olinda Morrison Plange

      Sounds like? How many syllables? Guess and win prizes with Search Charades!

      "Only God Can Judge Us, Either Love Us or Leave Us Alone, May be you’ll Love Us When We Die . If You Can't Respect That Your Whole Perspective Is Wack." Mlilwana Osanku

    • M'lilwana Osanku
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 13, 2008
        Blessed Love!
        My dear sister Olinda ,
        I do not know whether the information included in this correspondence concerns the people of your interest. However, it is likely they are - the African contingent of the populace of Guyana was never ridiculously overwhelming - and therefore persons with similar surnames are all likely relatives - and or obtain the European name from slave masters who were for all intense and purposes member of the same kinship.
        There are two entries relating biographical data on folks surnamed Fox listed on page 184 in the fourth edition of the publication “Who is who in British Guiana, 1945-1948”.
        I did not obtain the total details found therein. I received the book much too late to copy the entries. The library was closing for the evening. I have no idea when I will make it to the institution in the near future. However, I copied a number of the highlights.
        Jacob Nathaniel Fox and Joseph Edward Fox are brothers. They are sons of Joseph Fox, and his wife, Betsy Elizabeth nee Billy. It is my understanding the kinship of Billy came to British Guiana from Grenada . In fact Charles Griffith of Bush Corner in Golden Grove so enlightened me.

         I suggest you access the material at your convenience in at the British Library in London in the UK , at the library of the University of Guyana in Guyana , and at the research institutions in the USA and the Caribbean .

        JACOB NATHANIEL FOX
        Foreman Engineer, Plantation Diamond
        RESIDES: at Plantation Diamond, East Bank Demerara.
        BORN: February 28, 1880 at Buxton, son of Joseph Fox, Carpenter Contractor, and his wife, Betsy Elizabeth nee Billy.
        MARRIED: Julia Blackman

        JAMES EDWARD FOX
        Boot and Shoe Maker

        "Only God Can Judge Us, Either Love Us or Leave Us Alone, May be you’ll Love Us When We Die . If You Can't Respect That Your Whole Perspective Is Wack." Mlilwana Osanku

      • olinda plange
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 17, 2008
          Hi Lynette,

          Thanks very much for your help in locating Vesta Marshall who resides in Canada.

          Great Blessings
          Olinda

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 22, 2008
            Hello Ms.Plunge
            My name is Vanessa Wilson Fox.My husband Steven is the grandson of Jacob Nathaniel Fox of Buxton.Jacob had four children:Stanislaus(my father in law), Alan Emerson,Angela and Sholto in that order.They all now reside in the US.Stanislaus has two sons,Emerson has one son and three daughters,Angela has two sons and Sholto has one son.The grandkids are a whole other email.

            Hope that i've helped.
            Vanessa

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 23, 2008
              I am awaiting to hear from Sholto for information

              Many Thanks for your concern
              Olinda Hermita PLANGE