Re: [guyanese_genealogy] re: Lynette Gibson - Central High School

  • Lynette Gibson
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 19, 2008
      Hi Olinda:

      Gibson is my married name, I attended Chatham High School as Lynette Cummings. Sorry.  Best regards and hope you find your friend.

      Just Lyn
      At Home

      olinda plange <olindaplange@...> wrote:
      Hi Lynette,
      Your name seems to link to an old school friend of mine from Central High School in Georgetown.
      Are you the one? if  this is correct , well ! ..

      Hoping to hear from you soon,

      Dollette Olinda  Morrison Plange (Belfield)

      Lynette Gibson <rajohncummings@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Hello Erwin:

      Just logged on after quite a while, I noted your comments and will try to locate someone in Barbados who can check there.

      Best regards
      Lyn Gibson
      At Home

      eecrbrew <eecrbrew@yahoo. com> wrote:
      Dear Ms Gibson:
      I must assume you have searched familysearch. org the LDS genealogy
      web site. I tried it because Barbados was famous for maintaining
      records but I could not find any trace of a Richard Streete. If he
      was as prominent a citizen of Barbados as you suggest there must be
      some trace of him in Barbados so I would suggest that you find a
      researched in Barbados to start your search there. I am sure there
      are professional researchers there.
      I can understand your frustration because I am myself trying to
      trace the Odles from Barbados who emigrated to Guyana in the late
      19th century but with no luck.

      Erwin

      --- In guyanese_genealogy@ yahoogroups. com, Lynette Gibson
      <rajohncummings@ ...> wrote:

      > Dear Bernard:
      >
      > I just logged on and saw your email, thanks for taking the time
      to respond. Sad also to note that there is no genealogical
      researcher in Guyana at this time. I'll try and see if anyone down
      there has any further thoughts on this.

      > Best regards
      > Lyn Gibson
      >
      > Bernard Abraham <bernabram@. ..> wrote:
      > Lynette,
      >
      > Engaging the services of a London based researcher would only be
      useful if the information you're looking for is to be found in
      London: eg. at the National Archives, the British Library and
      several other London repositories.
      > However I suspect that in your case the research needs to be
      done in Guyana, so you need a researcher in Georgetown. As far as I
      know there aren't any, so in the end you might have to go there and
      do the leg work yourself as I did last December. But be prepared to
      be frustrated in your search for records! Still, you might have
      better luck than I did!
      > I certainly hope so.
      >
      > Bernard
      >
      > Lynette Gibson <rajohncummings@ ...> wrote:
      > Dear Readers:
      >
      > I sent an email since March 2007 looking for information - ANY
      info - but got no response. I have to assume that this was so
      because of the format of sending a "family blurb". Here is the info
      once again in encapsulated form for easier reading. I am willining
      to pay for this information if need be and am considering using
      Roger E. Nixon's company in London.

      > ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= =======
      > Richard Streete, called "Ched" by his family and friends arrived
      in British Guiana from Barbados. He came during the British take
      over of this country, from the Dutch, after slavery was abolished in
      or around the mid eighteenth (18th) century - 1850 or 1851. Ched was
      of mixed race (black and white), he was raised by his father and his
      father's wife (not his mother). His father was an important man at
      the sugar plantation, either a plantation manager or an overseer.
      After his father's death in Barbados he came over to British Guiana,
      possibly because he was the only son in the family. Ched was
      apparently wealthy, one never knew if he worked. Ched then met ANNIE
      McDERBY, a British Guianese lady who was of mixed race also, like
      Ched. She had been born a free woman and was not an ex-slave. They,
      Ched and Annie had ten (10) children, nine of whom survived: - Julia
      (eldest), Ernest, Mary, Margaret, Letitia (Mother's mother),
      Charles, Edwin, Harty, Alexander, Elizabeth. Ched
      > Streete was apparently a wealthy man. The land deeds dated 1852
      showed that he owned the entire lot at 26 Prince William Street,
      Plaisance, East Coast Demerara, British Guiana. In July 1853 he
      built two (2) houses at both ends of this lot and brought up his
      family with Annie at his side. When Annie died, he continued to live
      with his favourite daughter, Sis' Mary. This address on Prince
      William Street was where most of Mother's children were born. The
      land was then turned over to his eldest grand-daughter, Rebecca
      Cummings.

      > (RICHARD) DICK JOHN: came from the Congo in the mid eighteenth
      (18th) century. He was an independent educated man (African &
      Chinese mixture) from the Congo, and spoke several languages -
      English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese as well as his native
      tongue. He was in control of the sugar estate at Lichfield, Berbice
      from around 1849 to 1850. At that time most of the sugar estates
      were owned by the Dutch. They were later taken over by the British
      and he was then transferred to either the Lusignan estate or the La
      Bonne Intention estate. He had two daughters whom he nick-named Baby
      Annie and Baby Rose. When they grew to be women they married a Scott
      and Hudson respectively.

      > Hannah Yarwood (born Hannah Tourney) and Robert John Cummings
      came from Barbados with her 3 (three) year old daughter Frances, she
      was called "Diddy". She was then a widow and she later met and
      married Robert John Cummings a native Guianese. She later had four
      (4) more children: Aunt May, Nehemiah, Stanley and Allan.
      > RELATED TO THE FOLLOWING FAMILIES
      > Adams, Alexander, Andries, Beaton, Boynes, Butts, Caleb, Carter,
      Daniels, Douglas, Eastman, Easton, French, Haynes, Hollingsworth,
      Hudson, Ince, Laurence (Lawrence), Mathis, Maurice, McDerby, Phipps,
      Profitt, Scott, Simons, Smith, Sparman, Streete, Tourney, Yarwood,
      Wills,

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your
      pocket: mail, news, photos more.

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > Yahoo! Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try
      it now.

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      Yahoo! FareChase.

    • Lynette Gibson
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 19, 2008
        Hello Shah?:

        Gibson is my married name, I was born Lynette Cummings.  I however have an Aunt who married a Wesley Gibson (deceased) and they all (that family) live in England - I do believe that they are related to the Gibsons from Essequibo.  As a matter of fact it seems as if all the Gibsons in Guyana are related in some way or the other.  Best regards.

        Lyn Gibson
        At Home

        SHAH <newyorka104@...> wrote:
        Speaking of names, your surname is the same as mine and a cousin from Essequibo, named Amos Gibson who left for New York some years ago. Would you happen to have family from Essequibo?

        SG

        <rajohncummings@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
        came from Barbados with her 3 (three) year old daughter Frances, she
        was called "Diddy". She was then a widow and she later met and
        married Robert John Cummings a native Guianese. She later had four
        (4) more children: Aunt May, Nehemiah, Stanley and Allan.
        > RELATED TO THE FOLLOWING FAMILIES
        > Adams, Alexander, Andries, Beaton, Boynes, Butts, Caleb, Carter,
        Daniels, Douglas, Eastman, Easton, French, Haynes, Hollingsworth,
        Hudson, Ince, Laurence (Lawrence), Mathis, Maurice, McDerby, Phipps,
        Profitt, Scott, Simons, Smith, Sparman, Streete, Tourney, Yarwood,
        Wills,

        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
        > Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your
        pocket: mail, news, photos more.

        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
        > Yahoo! Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try

        Yahoo! FareChase.

      • olinda plange
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 21, 2008
          Hi Lynette,
          Thanks for your kind reply.
          OLinda

          <rajohncummings@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
          came from Barbados with her 3 (three) year old daughter Frances, she
          was called "Diddy". She was then a widow and she later met and
          married Robert John Cummings a native Guianese. She later had four
          (4) more children: Aunt May, Nehemiah, Stanley and Allan.
          > RELATED TO THE FOLLOWING FAMILIES
          > Adams, Alexander, Andries, Beaton, Boynes, Butts, Caleb, Carter,
          Daniels, Douglas, Eastman, Easton, French, Haynes, Hollingsworth,
          Hudson, Ince, Laurence (Lawrence), Mathis, Maurice, McDerby, Phipps,
          Profitt, Scott, Simons, Smith, Sparman, Streete, Tourney, Yarwood,
          Wills,

          > Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your
          pocket: mail, news, photos more.

          > Yahoo! Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try

          Yahoo! FareChase.