RE: [guyanese_genealogy] Re: Visit to Slavery Exhibition at Docklands Museum, London

  • S. Gray
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 31, 2007
      Your input on the exhibits is quite interesting.  I was wondering whether there exists a list of the names of the passengers on the respective ships that left ports in India for Guyana.  Perhaps such list will assist in identifying the date of entry (to BG) of ancestors and also give an idea as to what part of India they lived before coming to BG.

      Thanks for sharing your experience!

      Sara

      To: guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: april2774@...
      Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 22:35:51 +0000
      Subject: [guyanese_genealogy] Re: Visit to Slavery Exhibition at Docklands Museum, London

      I went to the exhibition today. It was insightful. The wall showig
      the dates of the ships and the number of human 'cargo' being brought
      home (Demerara) touched a nerve and made me think.

      The rest of the museum had a whole wealth of information about London
      and in particular East London. Being a Plaistow/Dagenham girl this
      was well worth going to and I learned a lot.

      Point to note, the exhibition is free from now till New Years Eve,
      make the effort and go.

      --- In guyanese_genealogy@ yahoogroups. com, "Jon - Budmart.co.uk"
      <budmartuk@. ..> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone
      >
      > I visited the Docklands Museum in east London on Sunday (i didn't
      start the fire, i promise ! LOL) to view the new Exhibition on
      Slavery.

      > There was a enormous fire in London yesterday that has blackened
      the sky across the Capital, some thought it was a Terrorist attack
      but it was a accidental fire on the 2012 Olympics building site.

      > It seems everywhere i go something happens straight afterwards,
      there is a Family joke that people move when they hear i am visiting
      LOL as practically everywhere i have gone to has suffered a
      Earthquake, Hurricane, War etc. hours after i have left !

      > The Exhibition is well put together and is very interesting
      although it was very busy yesterday as it was a free entry weekend
      but probably be empty again today. LOL

      > There is lots of exhibits - whips, log books, shackles and
      chains, fine China and Silverware from the Planters etc. and lost of
      information boards with pictures and a few video presentations.

      > I was also interested to find a board on Indentured labour which
      showed a map of the World with arrows from India to the Caribbean
      showing movement and the routes taken of Indentured Servants along
      with a few short explainations and a figure chart.

      > You are probably familiar with the figures but here they again :
      >
      > Mauritius 450,000
      > British Guiana 239,000
      > Trinidad 144,000
      > Natal 152,000
      > Jamaica 36,500
      > Suriname 34,000
      > East Africa 32,000
      > Fiji 61,000
      >
      > I jotted down the main write up but couldn't read my own writing
      (sorry, quite bad !) so have improvised some of the words so this is
      what it mainly said :

      > Soon after the abolition of Slavery the British Government found
      a new source of cheap labour in India.

      > Faced with growing poverty and hardship at home many Indian
      labourers where cajoled or tricked into signing up and then
      transported to the Colonies to labour at rates of low pay.

      > From 1834 onwards many were tranported to the Caribbean or
      elsewhere where they suffered from extreme conditions and poor
      treatment.

      > About 1,500,000 Indians were bonded by the system, most of these
      who came later became Citizens of the Caribbean Nations.

      > So Indentured Servants have also got a mention as they are
      normally left out of any Exhibitions like this.

      > I think they are planning for the Exhibition to be permanent so
      if so it will get bigger and should expand in the future.

      > There is a comments board where visitors can leave their thoughts
      and i added my card and read the others but was quite shocked in that
      about 50% of those who left their comments felt the Exhibition was
      inaccurate and made the British out to be wicked and that it wasn't
      as harsh as it is made out to be !

      > Most of the other 50% and rightly so showed abhorence for Slavery
      and commended the Museum for a excellent Exhibition, a small number
      of that 50% although showing abhorence for Slavery also felt that it
      wasn't enough and that it had held back from showing some of the full
      horrors and was a bit politically correct in it's interpretation.

      > Indeed it did leave out some of the more attrocious events such
      as raping Women, branding Slaves and Slaves been forced to urinate or
      deficate in the mouths of other Slaves who were being punished but i
      felt on the whole had covered Slavery quite well.

      > It was after all a Family exhibition so they probably didn't wish
      to give Children nightmares but i agree that it should be mentioned
      and perhaps the admission age raised.

      > Those who after looking through the exhibits came up with
      comments about it being over the top and that Slavery wasn't so bad
      mirrored comments made to Doctor Robert Beckford after his
      Documentary "the Empire pays back" and defies logic, i suppose the
      same people deny the Holocaust ever happened !

      > I am very astonished that so many hold such views in the modern
      age and obviously weren't moved in any way by the Exhibition.

      > Some of the 50% who abhored Slavery were Black as they noted this
      in their comments and were happy that someone had covered their
      History as many mentioned there was little interest in Society in
      general for their History and this is the only place with such a
      Exhibition (they weren't aware there was a Exhibition at the Victoria
      and Albert Museum which may still be there, i am not sure) so wished
      for it to be permanent so that others can come and view it.

      > It is well worth visiting, the normal admission is GBP 5-00 but
      allows you to make a additional visits for free as it is a Annual
      admission fee.

      > One of the information boards was a transcription of the Slave
      Ships that left London from 1795 to 1799 with details of the Ships,
      their Captains and Owners and where they went to.

      > I wrote down the details of the Ships that went to Guyana and
      will post it soon plus i will add it to the GGBS Website.

      > Hey, i might even have appeared on TV as there was a TV crew
      standing broadcasting right next to me as i was writing down the
      details even though they were Arab and it is probably being shown
      somewhere in the Middle east where they are wondering who the oddball
      on the left is ! LOL

      > They also have their own private Archives which can be visited by
      appointment, i was told that i could visit and told about the
      Holdings they have though the person i spoke to wasn't sure whether
      the transcription mentioned above was from their Holdings or from the
      National Archives, Caird Library or elsewhere.

      > I had also planned to visit the Museum of London but it took me
      so long to get there i didn't have time to fit another Museum in so
      perhaps another day.

      > London is full of Museums and Galleries so i recommend them to
      anyone that lives nearby as most of them are also free and stay open
      late 7 days a week.

      > Over the years i have visited many of them a number of times and
      sometimes do research while i am there, other times i just enjoy the
      exhibits, many years ago when i was a Teenager i went on a guided
      tour of the British Museum and put my hand up to answer every
      question the Guide asked and pointed out a number of things they
      didn't mention much to their annoyance as they joked that maybe i
      should be the Guide and they will take a break ! LOL

      > It would be nice if there was a dedicated Museum for Ethnic
      minorities but there isn't and it is unlikely there ever will be so a
      few Exhibitions are the next best thing.

      > Regards
      >
      > Jon
      >

      > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !
      >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make Yahoo! your
      homepage.

      Your chance to win great prizes with TELUS and Windows Live Messenger for Mobile. Click here for more information!
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
        Hello Heather

        It is nice to hear of someone else who has visited the exhibition so knows what i was talking about from first hand experience.

        That wall only gave the Ships that arrived in London in the period 1795-1799, if you add all the other years up to 1807 and 200+ years beforehand plus all the arrivals in the Cities of Liverpool, Bristol and other ports, you will get a idea of just how big the traffic was !

        It is a pretty good Museum, i like the Sailor's Town section where one can walk through reconstructed streets of 18th Century London with all the noises and smells added to make it even more appealing.

        East London is a very interesting area which is full of Historical interest as it contains the Dockland area which includes the West India Quay where the Sugar Merchants were based, the actual Museum is located in former Sugar Merchant's offices !

        East London has also been one of the most deprived areas of London and has saw many riots and had a lot of bomb damage during WW2 and today is home to some of the largest Immigrant communities in England.

        There are many old buildings still around (either whole or derelict) dating back to Victorian days and before whereas many other areas of London have been more modernized, i done my own "Jack the Ripper" tour last Summer and visited all the sites of interest, most of which have hardly changed in appearance !

        It is also a great place for shopping and for Restaurants as it has about 5 or 6 large markets and Brick Lane has more Indian Restaurants than anywhere else in the Country.

        To me the East end is just as interesting as the West end though most Tourists don't venture much beyond the West end of London.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
          Hello Sara

          There are Ships lists of the passengers who left India for Guyana but they are not held in London but in Guyana itself.

          There are not a complete set of records as many have perished over the decades and still do due to the climate and a lack of security as some have been stolen and others destroyed.

          There is a period during the 1860's where all the books are missing but apart from then there are records for before and after which are almost complete.

          The books contain the actual Emigrant passes which were carried by the Indian Indentured servants and they are filed by Ship name and arrival date.

          The first Indians arrived in 1838 and the last in 1916, they mainly came from two States in India (Uttar Pradesh and Bihar) and were mainly Hindu.

          Others included Muslims, Christians, Sikhs and Jains and came also from the Punjab, Bengal, Orissa and southern India as well as from neighbouring Nepal and Afghanistan.

          Here is a article i wrote a couple of years ago which will fill you in more :

          In order to locate the correct Emigrant passes you need to get your first Guyana born Ancestor's birth certificates which will give the Immigration details for their Parents.

          Sometimes the name can help to identify the possible area of origin as Indian names are regional, for example Singh is a name mainly found in the Punjab and western Uttar Pradesh, Beharry is a name from Bihar and Persaud and Budhram are Uttar Pradesh names.

          To: guyanese_genealogy@ yahoogroups. com
          From: april2774@hotmail. com
          Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 22:35:51 +0000