SURINAMESE OPPOSITION VOWS TO OUST GOVERNMENT OV...

  • M'lilwana Osanku
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2007

      It seems Guyana took the right approach. It seems it was a Guyanese effort. It is my understanding Sonny Ramphal, Rashleigh Jackson and Barton Scotland (A Sancho, a Nabaclisman) were all called in to prepare and present Guyana's case.

      It appears Surinam did not prepare a case; they depended on this historical conclusion of the boundary being the western reaches of the Corentyne River. I was always told once you are in the Corentyne River you were in Surinam. I was very tired of hearing of fishermen I knew of 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 and 69 villages, being captured, arrested, and detained in Surinam, during the late 1960s and early 1970s.

      There is now some talk that Jagdeo is taking all the credit for the victory.

      However, I believe Guyana and Surinam ought to share the Corentyne River basin – Is that logical?

      I would love to witness the two countries being developed along the lines as of USA and Canada. Small nations ought to pool their resources to combat the developed nations of the world or they will continue to be consumers and not producers.

      I believe a bridge across the Corentyne River and or an underground tunnel would do wonders for the people of the Corentyne Region, and indeed Guyana as a whole.

      What's your views on these expressions?

      --
      The slave may have appeared in a profit and loss account as an item, a thing, a piece of property, but he faced his new situation as an African, a worker, and a man. At this level of perception – It is quite irrelevant to enquire from which tribe or region a particular African originated… Walter Anthony Rodney (1942 -1980) Dares Salaam Tanzania
      October 1969

      The similarity of African survivals in the New World points not to tribal peculiarities but to the essential oneness of African Culture; that culture was the shield which frustrated the efforts of Europeans to dehumanize Africans through servitude… Walter Anthony Rodney (1942 -1980)

      "The kind of ancestors we have is not as important as the kind of descendants our ancestors have"… Dr. Phyllis Ann Wallace (1920-1993)