Re: [guyanese_genealogy] Look up your family members in British Guiana Directory and Almanack for the year 1904

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 9, 2007
      Hello Andre

      I don't know if you have read my message to Julie but i mentioned that i have been offline for a few months as my computer was broken which is now fixed but i have a backlog of requests and E-Mails to deal with amongst other things so i am very "snowed under" plus i haven't been well for the last number of weeks and haven't been able to concentrate as much as i would like on Genealogy whilst being sick so i will add your name to my list and i will definately get back to you but it won't be for a week or two.

      I may do a quick search before then as it might not be too big a search and see if i can find anything on Ms Skeetes and get back to you but if not i will definately look it up for you but it won't be for a while.

      Everything has just piled up and currently i don't feel up to getting stuck in as i would have done if i was feeling a bit better.

      Sorry for any inconvenience, i will help out when i can, i hope to get treated as soon as i can and get back into the swing of things.

      Speak to you soon.

      RUFF RYDERS <thamentallist@...> wrote:
      Thank you again Jon,

      I see the name F SKEETES on the record as a
      Grandmother. Is it possible to obtain info on this
      name?

      regards,
      Andre

      http://www.rootsweb .com/~nyggbs/ Transcriptions/ Transcriptions. htm

      http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_tools. html

      > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !
      >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

    • RUFF RYDERS
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 10, 2007
        Thank You Jon,

        Please feel better, your health is much more
        important.

        High Regards,
        Andre

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 10, 2007
          Hello Andre

          Thanks, i hope it will clear up soon so i can knuckle down to things again.

          I will go back over what i found previously and look for any extra information for your Skeetes Ancestors as soon as i can.

          Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 18, 2007
            Hello Andre

            Sorry about the delay in getting back as i am still unwell but have been catching up a little with requests as it could be a while until i am better.

            I was hoping to shake it off but it seems it will be a while until i am able to do so.

            Mrs F. Skeete was your Maternal Great Grandmother, i have tried to find some more information on her but unfortunately was unable to do so.

            I would guess she was born in the 1860's or possibly the early 1870's and lived in Georgetown.

            I have found the following information though which may be of interest :

            In 1920 Stella (recorded as Estella), Eugenie, Olga and another Sister - Maude are recorded as living with their Father Randolph Phillips and his Mother (your Great Grandmother) Welhelmena Phillips.

            Randolph (also arrived in 1918) was born about 1892 and his Mother was born about 1868.

            They lived in Manhattan and had someone called Temarra Blackman living with them.

            In 1930 your Mother Olga and her Sister stella (recorded as Estelle) were living in Jamaica, Queens with a Black American Family called Weeks.

            Isabel isn't mentioned alongside Randolph but it does state that Randolph was married and it also mentions that Maude was born in New York though it doesn't mention who Randolph's Wife was, whether it was Isabel or a 2nd marriage.

            I hope this is of help, for your Great Grandmother F. Skeete you will probably have to get in touch with the Guyana GRO.

          • M'lilwana Osanku
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 18, 2007
              Andre Morrison
              I am aware kinships of Morrison and Skeete were resident in Golden Grove and Nabaclis Village district. In fact, I know the Morrison folks were light skinned and well-known in the district for their pursuit of academic excellence.  George H. H. Morrison was trained at Mico in Jamaica . He was Headmaster at Cumberland Wesleyan School and was a County Schools’ Inspector, in Berbice. I am sure George H. H. Morrison migrated beyond the confines of British Guiana .
               Another Morrison, a female was a school teacher at Golden Grove Wesleyan School under the legendary James Alfred Trotman.

              The Skeete folks resided over the line at Golden Grove. I am aware of one family which produced numerous attractive dark-skinned females.

              Blackman was also a schoolmaster and the name is also found in the district.

              It is possible these are your folks; too…

> [...]

              > > > Never miss an email again!
              > > > Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail
              > > > arrives. Check it out.

              > > Expecting? Get great news right away with email
              > > Auto-Check.
              > > Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

              http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_tools. html

              > > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs
              > !
              > >

              > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
              > > Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car"
              > smell?
              > > Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

              > Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect.
              > Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us.

              http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

              > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !
              >

              > ------------ --------- --------- ---
              > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places

              http://mail. yahoo.com

              Guyana's 1905 Rebellion - Nigel Westmaas

            • Joan Seymour
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 18, 2007
                Hello Jon,
                I hope not to add to your load of research too much and must offer my
                wishes for your returned health as soon as possible.
                Would you have any way of checking for me the date of the first
                marriage and the name of his first wife of my grandfather James Tudor
                Seymour.? He was born in 1875, and was a widow when he married my
                grandmother in 1910. He might have married in Essequibo as he was a
                land surveyor there for some time. Regards, J0an Seymour

                Joan T.Seymour,
                Consultant

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 23, 2007
                  Hello Joan

                  Thanks for your kind wishes, i am a bit better but still not back to normal, it is something that may take a while to clear up completely.

                  I take it your Grandmother was Phillipine Dey and that the Poet and Writer Arthur James Seymour is your Father or Uncle.

                  I have had a look but unfortunately could not find any details on his first Wife, the only other place where to look is in Guyana itself at the General Records Office.

                  There are a few people researching the Seymours such as Patricia Cullen and Kim Andrews, they are or used to be members of this Group, have you been in contact with them ?

                  Sorry i couldn't be of much help.