Vital Records Researcher?

  • bkantzos
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 30, 2007
      I telephoned the General Register Office in Guyana and was told that
      someone has to walk in to research vital birth, marriage and death
      records. The only exception is if the record pertains to yourself
      then you can request a copy of your own records through the
      consulate. However, they could not provide contact information and
      the telephone connection and accent made understanding the woman
      difficult.

      Have others had any success requesting records?

      Is there anyone out there willing to do a few lookups for me?

      Any information or assistance is appreciated.

      Thanks
      Barbara
    • Andrew Jodhan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 30, 2007
        Hi Everyone,

        My name is Andrew Jodhan.I was wondering if any has or knows someone who has a photograph of my father, James (Jimmy Jodhan).

        He is originally from Enmore and was last living at Golden Grove until death in 1964.

        I am very eager to see what he looked.

        Thank you,
        Andrew Jodhan

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
          Just to share a bit of my experience - I have asked a relative to check
          some church records for me in Georgetown, but he has to give the
          information to the pastor who will then do the search - not very
          satisfactory as I don't know how diligent these pastors will be in
          looking for the records! I imagine that one has to pay a fee to the
          Government Records office so they will maybe do a better job. Joan.

          Joan T.Seymour,
          Consultant

          bkantzos wrote:

          > I telephoned the General Register Office in Guyana and was told that
          > someone has to walk in to research vital birth, marriage and death
          > records. The only exception is if the record pertains to yourself
          > then you can request a copy of your own records through the
          > consulate. However, they could not provide contact information and
          > the telephone connection and accent made understanding the woman
          > difficult.
          >
          > Have others had any success requesting records?
          >
          > Is there anyone out there willing to do a few lookups for me?
          >
          > Any information or assistance is appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Barbara

        • roger moore
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
            Dear Joan, why do some of you people believe that Guyanese are stupid, ignorant, lack diligence and corrupt until they leave Guyana?
            Roger Moore

            bkantzos wrote:

            > I telephoned the General Register Office in Guyana and was told that
            > someone has to walk in to research vital birth, marriage and death
            > records. The only exception is if the record pertains to yourself
            > then you can request a copy of your own records through the
            > consulate. However, they could not provide contact information and
            > the telephone connection and accent made understanding the woman

            difficult.

            > Have others had any success requesting records?
            >
            > Is there anyone out there willing to do a few lookups for me?
            >
            > Any information or assistance is appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Barbara

            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            Building a website is a piece of cake.
          • Joan Seymour
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
              Dear Roger,
              I have no such views of Guyanese, but I do know that it is too much
              to expect that someone not related to me will spend a lot of time going
              over dusty records just so that I can find out about my family. Why
              should they?? it is not part of their work. Joan

              Joan T.Seymour,
              Consultant

              roger moore wrote:
              > Dear Joan, why do some of you people believe that Guyanese are stupid,
              > ignorant, lack diligence and corrupt until they leave Guyana?
              > Roger Moore

            • M'lilwana Osanku
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
                Joan, best greetings!

                If I may; I love the fact that you are pragmatic. in deed that is exactly how I feel. That is  one of the major reasons I really appreciate people such as  John O’Connor, Sharon Anderson, John Budhram,  Richard Cheddie and all those who have assisted me over the years, in my efforts to unpuzzle the footsteps of Campbell, Sancho and Younge in the Guyanese experience. However, I would not mind looking up records especially when I am aware the surnames involved are associated with the kinships of Sancho, Campbell , and Young/e, and /or the communities of Golden Grove, Nabaclis, Buxton and Friendship.
                 I must admit I get really excited when I believe there are possibilities that people I am asked to research are likely to be linked to my heritage.  I must also admit I am greatly influenced by my understanding of Arturo Alfonso Schomburg and his  approach to assessing and obtaining data and materials.
                Otherwise I merely place same on the proverbial back burner shall we say.

                I believe; if they are to survive; if are to provide adequate service to the people; the GGBS and Bhatchaman must evolve into institutions in which professional researchers are gainfully employed in London , Barbados , Georgetown , New York and USA .  I am trying to say I believe people must be compensated for their services, however, infants creep before they walk – therefore at some point; that is the natural genesis of genealogical societies.

                it has been my experience; In the Guyanese society particularly between September 1966 and September 1981, people,  working class persons, especially the civil servants expected their palms to be greased at every request. Guyanese expected to pay bribes for services rendered. That’s how corrupted the society had become.

                I bear witness; that my mother – Muriel Sancho while, the Head Mistress of No# 68 Government School would become enraged when persons attempted to bribe her in the effort of gaining employment for their children as a Pupil Teachers. I believe; Muriel Sancho made every effort to educate me; corruption, regardless of the enticements, is not the way of Sancho. Allow me to state the my mother was really offended by the lyrics of the two folk songs in which Sancho is the subject. She would blister my rear-end and lecture me about love and family first; for the infraction of singing the folk songs.

                I am cognizant; the moral fiber of our society has taken a tremendous whipping over the years and there is no end in sight. However, I humbly require – that you and I refrain from jumping off - the historical, the genealogical and biographical – let us not stray to far into the social dilemma which is now Guyana . Thanks for your time and tolerance and cooperation and understanding…

                roger moore wrote:
                > Dear Joan, why do some of you people believe that Guyanese are stupid,
                > ignorant, lack diligence and corrupt until they leave Guyana?
                > Roger Moore

                Guyana's 1905 Rebellion - Nigel Westmaas

                Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

              • Joan Seymour
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 4, 2007
                  Thanks for that comment, and I agree with you about sharing information.
                  I wonder who has the possibility to look up the BMD records of the last
                  century as I am finding that I need some dates in order to verify other
                  information. I am looking for the dates of birth or marriage of : Stella
                  (Mrs Charles) Gordon nee Seymour ; Beryl ( Mrs Benjamin) D'Arcy nee
                  Seymour; Dolly (Mrs Oscar) Parris nee Seymour. They were all born after
                  1903 in Demerara and their father was James Tudor Seymour. No mother's
                  name was given.
                  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Joan

                  :Joan T.Seymour,

                  Consultant

                • Bernard Abraham
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 22, 2007
                    Joan,

                    Attached is an extraction from WWBG 1945 for the names you gave, in case you haven't seen this before. Curiously enough there's a photo of a J.R.C.Gordon, retired sugar planter, but there's nothing in the text for him.
                    I also came across a message board posting about a James Tudor Seymour who emigrated to Australia from Guyana, but the dates don't quite fit. If you haven't seen it before it's at the following link

                    Regards
                    Bernard

                    M'lilwana Osanku wrote:
> [...]
                    > historical, the genealogical and biographical – let us not stray to
                    > far into the social dilemma which is now Guyana. Thanks for your time
                    > and tolerance and cooperation and understanding…
                    >

                    > */Joan Seymour /* wrote:
                    >
                    > Dear Roger,
                    > I have no such views of Guyanese, but I do know that it is too much
                    > to expect that someone not related to me will spend a lot of time
                    > going
                    > over dusty records just so that I can find out about my family. Why
                    > should they?? it is not part of their work. Joan
                    >
                    > Joan T.Seymour,
                    > Consultant
                    >
                    > roger moore wrote:
                    > > Dear Joan, why do some of you people believe that Guyanese are
                    > stupid,
                    > > ignorant, lack diligence and corrupt until they leave Guyana?

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                    mailto:guyanese_genealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:guyanese_genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Joan Seymour
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 22, 2007
                      Thanks for that Bernard. It doesn't give me the Gordon I am looking for
                      but at least I have found out that there is another Seymour branch that
                      I didn't know about. The James Tudor Seymour that you saw on the message
                      board by the Australian searchers would be the brother of my
                      ggrandfather?? but we don't know for sure. My grandfather was the James
                      Tudor who is mentioned in the notice as the father of Arthur James. Joan

                      Joan T.Seymour,
                      Consultant

                    • M'lilwana Osanku
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 23, 2007
                        Joan,
                        I am not sure I asked prior to this intrusion. However, I am also seeking a family group name Gordon. Isabelle Gordon, and her son Fred and Darryl Gordon. Isabelle Gordon in her elder years suffered from altheimzers disease. Isabelle Gordon remained very  close to the Sharper family.  Isabelle Gordon attended services at Golden Grove Methodist Church .  I am told Fred Gordon was employed at Mahaica Hospital –Darryl Gordon became a Medical Doctor.    The Gordon clan migrated to Massachusetts in the USA . I believe Darryl Gordon has a son named Darryl Gordon. Nora Bradshaw visited often with the Gordon family in Massachusetts . I believe Isabelle Gordon is an immediate relative of Catherine Elizabeth Virginia [nee Sancho] Archer, the grand mother of Dr. Joycelyn Loncke. In other words Isabelle Gordon was known and regarded as a member of the kinship of Sancho.
                        It is a possibility; our  Gordon families of interest are connected. I am hoping something, anything could lead me and other researchers to the Gordon family of my interests.

                        Bernard Abraham wrote:
> [...]
                        > > historical, the genealogical and biographical – let us not stray to
                        > > far into the social dilemma which is now Guyana. Thanks for your
                        > time
                        > > and tolerance and cooperation and understanding…
                        > >

                        > > */Joan Seymour /* wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Dear Roger,
                        > > I have no such views of Guyanese, but I do know that it is too much
                        > > to expect that someone not related to me will spend a lot of time
                        > > going
                        > > over dusty records just so that I can find out about my family. Why
                        > > should they?? it is not part of their work. Joan
                        > >
                        > > Joan T.Seymour,
                        > > Consultant
                        > >
                        > > roger moore wrote:
                        > > > Dear Joan, why do some of you people believe that Guyanese are
                        > > stupid,
                        > > > ignorant, lack diligence and corrupt until they leave Guyana?

                        Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

                      • Joan Seymour
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 24, 2007
                          M'lilwana,
                          You did mention a connection with the Seymour family before - you asked
                          about Dolly Parris nee Seymour, and she was one of my father's half
                          sisters by his first wife, whose name I do not know and am hoping to
                          discover. The Gordon who is connected to my family is Charlie Gordon,
                          who was a radio operator on ships, and he married my Aunt, Stella
                          Seymour. When he stopped working on ships he maintained a number of
                          short wave radios in the home and did repairs for other people. I never
                          did meet any of the members of his family and have no idea how to trace
                          them. does this give you any clue about the Gordon family? Joan

                          Joan T.Seymour,
                          Consultant

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 8, 2007
                            Hello Andrew

                            Was your Father a Musician who played the Violin ?

                            There was a Violinist from Golden Grove called Jimmie Jodhan who played at a gathering at Chester's Auditorium in Golden Grove in 1948.

                            There is report of it in the Sunday Chronicle of April 11th 1948 although there may not be any pictures.

                            The Newspaper may have a picture or possibly Chester's Auditorium if it still exists or who ever occupys the site may have Photos from past events there.

                            Alternatively as he was a Musician there may be pictures of him elsewhere where he performed.

                            He may also be mentioned under a Indian first name as many Indo-Guyanese have European firstnames which they use in daily life but a Indian name for official purposes like my Father is called John but his official name is Seepersaud.

                            Try and find out more about his work and you may find some nice Photos of him performing.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 9, 2007
                              Andrew,
                              How are you doing? I am certain your mother would recognize Chester 's Auditorium in Golden Grove.
                              Run the following by  her and enlighten me - will you?
                              Chester 's Auditorium in Golden Grove became Lam Dance Hall .
                              A High School was established with Carlton  Paton  Browne Melbourne and Donald  Ashley Bevel Trotman were among the Members of the  Board of Governors of the High School. The Principal of the High School was an Indo-Guyanese male. This information is found in my web logs - just google - Jodhan +musician +Guyana.
                              Pitta’s Rum Shop (Spirit Shop) became   Chester 's Rum shop. The building was situated at the corner  of the Middle walk and the street in which the Dover residence stands in Golden Grove.
                              The building was still standing in September 1981. However  the building which housed Chester 's Auditorium in Golden Grove, no longer exists.  A church stood on the land in September 1981. The location is precisely opposite where Merle Douglas has her grocery business in September 1981.
                              In 1961, I begun to recall visiting my ancestral adopted home; Chinese, probably Lam was still occupying the building. In fact; Merle Douglas purchased the business from Chinese folks. It  is at the Golden Grove side line dam with Nabaclis at   Public Road   - the southern portion. The grocery store is directly opposite on the north of the Public Road .
                              You ought to privy to this data – you should know more of the district than I do -  I do not see why not – except, perhaps you were too young to recall. There was also a Baber shop on the premises when I arrived in the rural district with some sense of recollection.  I believe it was Dood Trotman (James Trotman) who was employed at that location. I do not recall the physical appearance of the barbers. However, I know I received a total loss of my hair on several occasion at that location.

                              Andrew Jodhan <ajodhan@kikcorp. com> wrote:
[...]

                              Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!