FW: [guyanese_genealogy] Quarless Family

  • Stan Jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2007

      From: Stan Jones [mailto: foscolort@... ]
      Sent: 30 April 2007 19:32
      To: ' guyanese_genealogy@yahoogroups.com '
      Subject: RE: [guyanese_genealogy] Quarless Family

      Hello Jon:

      Many thanks for the reply below:

      The information on John Isaiah Quarless being born in Liverpool is certainly wrong as his death certificate (23rd. August 1976 Liverpool) says he was born January 1st. 1875 in Black Rock , Barbados . He married Elizabeth Laurence 11th. August 1898 in Liverpool and her father Abraham Laurence was born in Jamaica in 1848. John Isaiah’s father is named on his marriage certificate as Henry (deceased) a Planter. The British 1901 census also gives John Isaiah’s birthplace as Barbados . Family stories say John had two brothers, namely Charles who worked on the Venezuelan railways and Walter, a concert pianist, plus a sister, possibly a teacher who died in Demerara. John Isaiah’s mother is believed to have been  South American Indian however family stories are not very reliable.

       I have also obtained the same information as you about an Henry Quarless marrying Mary Rosetta Prescott (Prescod) from the FamilySearch site but can’t prove this is the right set of parents. Friends who have visited Barbados also can’t find any record of the birth of John Isaiah Quarless in Black Rock.

      I have some information on the derivation of the name Quarless if anyone is interested.

      Many Thanks once again for your help.

      Best regards

      Stan Jones