Re: [guyanese_genealogy] Look up your family members in British Guiana Directory and Almanack for the year 1904

  • RUFF RYDERS
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 12, 2007
      Hello,

      I am a 2nd generation lost sheep of the Phillips
      Blackmon family. My Mother and Aunts - named Olga C,
      Phillips ,Estella Phillips and Eugenie Phillips
      arrived here in America in 1918 Ellis Island. My
      mother Died in 2005 and Aunts in 1998 and 1982. do you
      have 1915 Birth archives and any information on
      Randolph Arthur Phillips or Moore Isabella Phillips,
      Isabella Phillips? Sylvia Phillips ? Isabella
      Blackmon born possibly in the late 1800's early 1900's
      in Guyana

      Regards,

      Andre Morrison
      --- Sancho of Nabaclis <childrenofsancho@...>

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyggbs/Transcriptions/Transcriptions.htm

      > ---------------------------------
      >
      > Transcriptions from historic British Guiana
      > Directories
      > NOTE: These listings were selectively transcribed.
      > The list contained many meeting announcements and
      > other items which were felt not to be of interest to
      > genealogists. These files are in PDF, requiring the
      > free Adobe Reader which is available for download
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Never miss an email again!
      > Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail
      > arrives. Check it out.

      Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 27, 2007
        Hello Andre

        Your Mother and her Sisters all arrived in New York on Novermber 16 1918 and came from Demerara.

        Your Mom was born about 1915, her Sister Stella about 1917 and Eugenie about 1914.

        Their Mother Isabel Phillips was born about 1892 and accompanied them.

        I found a Alfred Phillips who was born about 1869 who arrived at the same time so may have also been a Family member, is it possible he could have been Alfred rather than your Arthur ?

        The Birth Certificates are all held at the General Records Office in Georgetown.

        Unfortunately i couldn't find anything on the other Phillips though there are one or two Blackmans in Guyana.

        --- Sancho of Nabaclis <childrenofsancho@ yahoo.com>
        wrote:

        > Home of the Guyana Genealogical and Biographical
        > Society This site, for genealogical purposes
        > only, will disseminate alternative sources of
        > genealogical and historical information to all
        > persons with ancestors ...
        > www.rootsweb. com/~nyggbs/ index.htm
        >
        > British Guiana Directory and Almanack for the
        > year 1904

        http://www.rootsweb .com/~nyggbs/ Transcriptions/ Transcriptions. htm

        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
        >
        > Transcriptions from historic British Guiana
        > Directories
        > NOTE: These listings were selectively transcribed.
        > The list contained many meeting announcements and
        > other items which were felt not to be of interest to
        > genealogists. These files are in PDF, requiring the
        > free Adobe Reader which is available for download
        >

        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
        > Never miss an email again!
        > Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail
        > arrives. Check it out.

        Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
        http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_tools. html

        Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      • RUFF RYDERS
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 29, 2007
          Dear Jon(Thank YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

          My mother and her sisters spent all of their lives
          trying to figure this out. they was left mother less
          in 1920 and fatherless in 1932 they had no contact
          except their paternal grandmother they knew by Dita
          who was very I would,nt say intense spirit but she was
          very spiritual of the old culture (candles etc. ) and
          was said to be of Portugal background she was 90 when
          she died in the 40's. her son was supposed to be
          Randolph A phillips a guyanese born musician (piano)
          could it be Arthur ? i don't know the name ALFRED does
          not sound foreign so it could be possible but i heard
          of no great age difference between mother and father.
          he did arrive in america BEFORE the mother and
          children and if ALFRED died in January 1932 then it's
          possible it's him but the age difference is an issue
          especially if the mother died in her 90's in the late
          40;s . we found a MATERNAl cousin who marrige name is
          Maude MEURTENS who died in guyanna in 2002 on Oct 5th
          Soesdyke EB she was born in 1912 her maiden name and
          mother /father would be helpful as well. I hope my
          writing a book one here does not disturb you it is the
          emotions you gave me with this find my family is
          smiling down on us , YOU for this. it was hard to know
          my family is from Guyana but know in detail a soul who
          can help. God Bless!!

        • RUFF RYDERS
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 29, 2007
            Hello Jon ,

            On ancestry .com I found the actual ship records of my
            mom and sisters and grandmother, i found a Arthur
            phillips but he sailed from a port in TRINIDAD ?? was
            that common for people in Guyana to sail to america
            from other ports??

            I need also info on family name mrs F.SKEETES my
            greatgrandmother (yes i just learned that thanks to
            you)

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 9, 2007
              Thank you again Jon,

              I see the name F SKEETES on the record as a
              Grandmother. Is it possible to obtain info on this
              name?

              regards,
              Andre

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 9, 2007
                Hello Andre

                I don't know if you have read my message to Julie but i mentioned that i have been offline for a few months as my computer was broken which is now fixed but i have a backlog of requests and E-Mails to deal with amongst other things so i am very "snowed under" plus i haven't been well for the last number of weeks and haven't been able to concentrate as much as i would like on Genealogy whilst being sick so i will add your name to my list and i will definately get back to you but it won't be for a week or two.

                I may do a quick search before then as it might not be too big a search and see if i can find anything on Ms Skeetes and get back to you but if not i will definately look it up for you but it won't be for a while.

                Everything has just piled up and currently i don't feel up to getting stuck in as i would have done if i was feeling a bit better.

                Sorry for any inconvenience, i will help out when i can, i hope to get treated as soon as i can and get back into the swing of things.

                Speak to you soon.

                --- "Jon - Budmart.co.uk" <budmartuk@yahoo. com> wrote:

                > Hello Andre
                >
                > Your Mother and her Sisters all arrived in New
                > York on Novermber 16 1918 and came from Demerara.
                >
                > Your Mom was born about 1915, her Sister Stella
                > about 1917 and Eugenie about 1914.
                >
                > Their Mother Isabel Phillips was born about 1892
                > and accompanied them.
                >
                > I found a Alfred Phillips who was born about 1869
                > who arrived at the same time so may have also been a
                > Family member, is it possible he could have been
                > Alfred rather than your Arthur ?
                >
                > The Birth Certificates are all held at the General
                > Records Office in Georgetown.
                >
                > Unfortunately i couldn't find anything on the
                > other Phillips though there are one or two Blackmans
                > in Guyana.
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Jon
                >

                > RUFF RYDERS <thamentallist@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                > Hello,
                >
                > I am a 2nd generation lost sheep of the Phillips
                > Blackmon family. My Mother and Aunts - named Olga C,
                > Phillips ,Estella Phillips and Eugenie Phillips
                > arrived here in America in 1918 Ellis Island. My
                > mother Died in 2005 and Aunts in 1998 and 1982. do
                > you
                > have 1915 Birth archives and any information on
                > Randolph Arthur Phillips or Moore Isabella Phillips,
                > Isabella Phillips? Sylvia Phillips ? Isabella
                > Blackmon born possibly in the late 1800's early
                > 1900's
                > in Guyana
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Andre Morrison
                > --- Sancho of Nabaclis <childrenofsancho@ yahoo.com>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Home of the Guyana Genealogical and Biographical
                > > Society This site, for genealogical purposes
                > > only, will disseminate alternative sources of
                > > genealogical and historical information to all
                > > persons with ancestors ...
                > > www.rootsweb. com/~nyggbs/ index.htm
                > >
                > > British Guiana Directory and Almanack for the
                > > year 1904

                http://www.rootsweb .com/~nyggbs/ Transcriptions/ Transcriptions. htm

                > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                > >
                > > Transcriptions from historic British Guiana
                > > Directories
                > > NOTE: These listings were selectively transcribed.
                > > The list contained many meeting announcements and
                > > other items which were felt not to be of interest
                > > genealogists. These files are in PDF, requiring
                > the
                > > free Adobe Reader which is available for download
                > >

                > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                > > Never miss an email again!
                > > Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail
                > > arrives. Check it out.

                > Expecting? Get great news right away with email
                > Auto-Check.
                > Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_tools. html

                > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !
                >

                > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                > Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

              • RUFF RYDERS
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 10, 2007
                  Thank You Jon,

                  Please feel better, your health is much more
                  important.

                  High Regards,
                  Andre

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 10, 2007
                    Hello Andre

                    Thanks, i hope it will clear up soon so i can knuckle down to things again.

                    I will go back over what i found previously and look for any extra information for your Skeetes Ancestors as soon as i can.

                    Speak to you soon.

                    Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 18, 2007
                      Hello Andre

                      Sorry about the delay in getting back as i am still unwell but have been catching up a little with requests as it could be a while until i am better.

                      I was hoping to shake it off but it seems it will be a while until i am able to do so.

                      Mrs F. Skeete was your Maternal Great Grandmother, i have tried to find some more information on her but unfortunately was unable to do so.

                      I would guess she was born in the 1860's or possibly the early 1870's and lived in Georgetown.

                      I have found the following information though which may be of interest :

                      In 1920 Stella (recorded as Estella), Eugenie, Olga and another Sister - Maude are recorded as living with their Father Randolph Phillips and his Mother (your Great Grandmother) Welhelmena Phillips.

                      Randolph (also arrived in 1918) was born about 1892 and his Mother was born about 1868.

                      They lived in Manhattan and had someone called Temarra Blackman living with them.

                      In 1930 your Mother Olga and her Sister stella (recorded as Estelle) were living in Jamaica, Queens with a Black American Family called Weeks.

                      Isabel isn't mentioned alongside Randolph but it does state that Randolph was married and it also mentions that Maude was born in New York though it doesn't mention who Randolph's Wife was, whether it was Isabel or a 2nd marriage.

                      I hope this is of help, for your Great Grandmother F. Skeete you will probably have to get in touch with the Guyana GRO.

                    • M'lilwana Osanku
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 18, 2007
                        Andre Morrison
                        I am aware kinships of Morrison and Skeete were resident in Golden Grove and Nabaclis Village district. In fact, I know the Morrison folks were light skinned and well-known in the district for their pursuit of academic excellence.  George H. H. Morrison was trained at Mico in Jamaica . He was Headmaster at Cumberland Wesleyan School and was a County Schools’ Inspector, in Berbice. I am sure George H. H. Morrison migrated beyond the confines of British Guiana .
                         Another Morrison, a female was a school teacher at Golden Grove Wesleyan School under the legendary James Alfred Trotman.

                        The Skeete folks resided over the line at Golden Grove. I am aware of one family which produced numerous attractive dark-skinned females.

                        Blackman was also a schoolmaster and the name is also found in the district.

                        It is possible these are your folks; too…

> [...]

                        > > > Never miss an email again!
                        > > > Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail
                        > > > arrives. Check it out.

                        > > Expecting? Get great news right away with email
                        > > Auto-Check.
                        > > Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                        http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_tools. html

                        > > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs
                        > !
                        > >

                        > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                        > > Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car"
                        > smell?
                        > > Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                        > Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect.
                        > Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us.

                        http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

                        > Visit Budmart.co.uk for all your Collecting needs !
                        >

                        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                        > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places

                        http://mail. yahoo.com

                        Guyana's 1905 Rebellion - Nigel Westmaas

                      • Joan Seymour
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 18, 2007
                          Hello Jon,
                          I hope not to add to your load of research too much and must offer my
                          wishes for your returned health as soon as possible.
                          Would you have any way of checking for me the date of the first
                          marriage and the name of his first wife of my grandfather James Tudor
                          Seymour.? He was born in 1875, and was a widow when he married my
                          grandmother in 1910. He might have married in Essequibo as he was a
                          land surveyor there for some time. Regards, J0an Seymour

                          Joan T.Seymour,
                          Consultant

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 23, 2007
                            Hello Joan

                            Thanks for your kind wishes, i am a bit better but still not back to normal, it is something that may take a while to clear up completely.

                            I take it your Grandmother was Phillipine Dey and that the Poet and Writer Arthur James Seymour is your Father or Uncle.

                            I have had a look but unfortunately could not find any details on his first Wife, the only other place where to look is in Guyana itself at the General Records Office.

                            There are a few people researching the Seymours such as Patricia Cullen and Kim Andrews, they are or used to be members of this Group, have you been in contact with them ?

                            Sorry i couldn't be of much help.