581Re: [guyanese_genealogy] Irish in British Guiana - will you?

    Mar 8, 2006
      Hello Sancho

      You are right that Historical Accounts that we have are based on the interpretations of people from the East Indian Community and may not necessary always be based on true Historical Accounts but on the thoughts of Individuals.

      I base my Historical knowledge on actual Primary evidence that can be witnessed such as Documentation and in the modern age Film.

      The History of East Indians is fascinating and so should be learnt truefully and correctly and those wishing to learn should not be influenced by prejudiced views or bias views from certain Members of that and other Communities.

      There is much evidence of the Dutch presense in Guyana as it was once a Dutch Colony and their legacy is all around us - Relics, Graves, Documents, place names, Surnames etc.

      There isn't so much evidence of the Irish but they were in Guyana.

      There were both Irish Planters and Irish Indentured Servants, the Planters were most likely Protestants of English or Scottish origin but most of the Indentured Servants would have been Catholics.

      The Planters would have been in Guyana since the 18th Century but the Indentured Servants arrived in the 1830's just before the Indians and Chinese.

      Let me know what you would like to know in particular and i will have a look.

      Sancho of Nabaclis <childrenofsancho@...> wrote:

      My brother,
      I am not only interested in 1964.  I am interested in any and every event and period in the history of that community, in particularly.
       I am trying to find the underlying history of the community.  The history that was known by those resting in peace in the communities.  I am not with the politically and ethnic sensitized versions.
      What people write and proclaim as the history of the communities, are for the most part only their imitation of the true story of the communities.
      Be on the look out for the Dutch and Irish in British Guiana - will you?

       It was more than  enough for me today. It was simply too cold and windy.

      Bronx , NY
      Clear24°
      Feels Like: 14°
      Dew Point: 3°
      Humidity: 32%
      Visibility: 10 MI

      "Jon - Budmart.co.uk" <budmartuk@...> wrote:
      Hello Sancho

      I will look into it and get back with any findings.

      I previously stated 1962 but i meant 1964, i just got my dates muddled slightly.

      There was still violence in 1962 and British Troops were sent to restore order but the actual events in Mackenzie/Wismar was in 1964.

      What happened is no different from events in Bosnia, Iraq, Kosovo, Rwanda, Congo, Northern Ireland and other places where Race and Sectarian Issues have torn Countries apart.

      It is a shame that such events have entered our discussions but they are all part and parcel of our History and although distasteful should not be forgotten about.

      If i find anything on Golden Grove and Nabaclis in 1964 i will let you know.

      Sancho of Nabaclis <childrenofsancho@...> wrote:
      Jon
      can you access june 30, 1964 and look for the reports of the burning of Gandhi Memorial in Golden
      Grove? I think I got the date correct. it must be June or July 30, 1964. Ramakant told me. I am
      not sure now.
      Any reports concerning Victoria, Golden Grove, Buxton - the ECD let me have it  - I am older now.
      I can handle it in 2006. I certainly could not in 1964. I thought the people (both black and
      Indian) were plain old crazy. They seemed to have lost their darned minds. People whom I had loved
      and respected were on the hunt and on the run from each other. I do not ever want to experience a
      race war, again.
      the news shows what happens daily as per example in recent days in IRAQ...that is the effects of
      Religious tribalism.