558Re: [guyanese_genealogy] Burnham's not a worthy author

  • Neville Quelch
    Mar 2, 2006
      Hello Jon:

      There are two things I should have highlighted in my last correspondence.  One is that I particularly mentioned that I was in Guyans for the Electrification Project in 1972.  Obviously, I met with Forbes at a function held by the Electricity Corporation.  I also met with him in the 1960s in Montreal.  If he remembered me from any of those occasions, he certainly did not let on and I certainly did not care if he did or not.  My contention is that he was certainly trying in 1972.  I had to leave as a result of the slowness in receiving the funding for the project.  I was really needed in Montreal to clean-up a mess left on another project in Nova Scotia.

      Had the funding, which had been previously approved, come through Guyana would have been a different country today.  As far as his being a monster, I had no knowledge as my work took me from one province to another and I lost all contact with Guyana.  Neither family nor friends could find me at times much less to discuss the affairs of Guyana.

      The second thing that should have been highlighted is the 1974 oil embargo but as I stated, I don't want to go into that because it requires explaining the macro economics of the era and the impact that the oil embargo had on world economies.  I am quite sure you must know that it led to extremely high interest rates and finally the 1981/82 recession.  Did the lack of funding for the Electrification program change Burnham?  I don't know, I was too busy in a small town in Quebec before going to Alberta.  We also did not have the Internet with its speedy communications.

      I lived still in Guyana in 1962 and can assure you that there was no massacre in any part of Guyana.  The government at the time was Chedi's PPP.  Also when we had the 6-month general strike in 1963 it was still Cheddi's PPP in office.  However, In 1968 while in Montreal I learnt of major civil disorder that occurred in 1966 and/or 1965 during which one of my brothers-in-law lost a sister in a ferry explosion on the Demerara River.  At the time, I was in Ottawa and getting ready to go to Winnipeg.

      As stated in my previous communication, the program to "Feed, House and Clothe Ourselves by 1976"  is probably the best program for a developing nation.  It could only be realized through self-reliance.  And, there was abundance.  This is where I become a hideous fiend.  Any atrocious actions taken by the governing body to achieve such a great result can only be considered to be (and I use an Americanism) collateral damage.

      I have just opened the door to abuse.  However, consider what is happening in under developed countries around the world.  You mentioned a few names from the same era.  Can you see the relationships?  Even in Canada we had a separatist group from Quebec that wanted to separate Quebec from Canada by means of force and actually murdered a cabinet minister and held the British High Commissioner captive in 1970.

      Open economy economics as practised in developed countries led to discontent around the world, France, USA, Cuba, Venezuela, etc.  Closed economy economics or Communism was growing.  Russia had invaded several countries and was looking at coming further west.  In other words, the whole world was in a turmoil.  Out of this came the likes of Burnham and Jagan and the others you know in Guyana,  Jamaica had Bustamante and only T&T had sobriety under Eric Williams.

      Back in Montreal, Rosie Douglas was leading a group of students in the destruction of a university's computer (an act for which he was asked to leave the country but given an opportunity to finish his degree).

      The era was full of of unfavourable events not only in Guyana but also world wide.  Africa is still undergoing change but now has to contend with unfavourable trade practises by the developed countries.  Besides civil wars, there is the HIV/Aids epidemic which is also claiming large amount of Guyanese victims.

      The PPP has been in office since 1992 and the country has not progressed.  Last year the GDP/per capita rose only one half of one percent.  As far back as 1965 Guyana and T&T had the same GDP/per capita.  Today, T&T GDP/per capita is there times that of Guyana - a country with vast natural resources   The gold is nearly depleted at a time when gold prices are close to $575/oz.  Instead of building a major transmission line and providing the country with a reliable source of electricity that would encourage investment and industry which in turn would create jobs and reduce crime, the government is building a stadium to host a few games of a cricket tournament.  The money for which will never repay the expenses - even if the people came.  And the people will not come as a result of the crime.

      What would you do if you were starving and saw a tourist?

      Was Burnham Caribbean Man of the Century?  None of the candidates that has been put forward can fill the shoes of the position.  Where does Malcolm X come in?  Is he an Honourable West Indian?  And what did he do for the West Indies?  He did more for Canada and maybe the other developed countries governed by White people.

      In the American civil war there was collateral damage.  In the French Civil war there was collateral damage.  In Venezuela, Cuba, countries in Central America, Africa and Asia there was collateral damage.  Shouldn't there have been collateral damage in Guyana?  I don't remember which of the revolutionary leaders said "Unless a country has a civil war it cannot become stable."

      Guyana differs from most countries because it has two dominant races.  For Guyana  to become stable then it must suffer two civil wars.  The second appears to be imminent.

      Like Sancho, I strayed from the original point even though I came back on a few occasions.  Was Burnham Caribbean Man of The Century?  After considering the era and events I vote yes.

      Neville

      "Jon - Budmart.co.uk" <budmartuk@...> wrote:
      Hello Neville

      Georgetown has always been looked after well and also the East Coast but other areas of the Country such as Berbice were left in the dark ages.

      Electricity and Phone lines have only just been ran through the Corentyne in the last couple of years !

      I have been to Guyana a number of times and stayed with Relatives and they have to rely on Generators for Electricity and there are shortages in water and other amenities.

      Much of Berbice had resembled the County in the 19th Century, it is only in the last few years that modernization has set in with Government spending on a long forgotten and abandoned area.

      Similiar Programmes are now in place in Essequibo in the Interior as well as the Coast.

      I have been to Georgetown a few times and it is still pretty neat with nice Buildings which has been added to in recent years although now it is pretty dangerous, more than it used to be.

      Visitors to Guyana now lock themselves in their Hotel rooms for protection as the Country is completely lawless, woe to the Elections and next years Cricket World Cup !

      Basically Georgetown triumphed as did Linden over other areas as they were void of investment and abandoned from technological advancement.

      The AWI was all down to Taxes, the Colonists refused to pay more Taxes to Britain and erupted when forced to pay a Tax on Tea, they then decided they could run their own affairs and opted for Independence.

      There are always two sides to every discussion and both sides should always be looked into as we can't dismiss one side without examining the other.

      Burnham may have done some great things for Guyana but he is also forever tainted for the bad things he done.

      Neville Quelch <nunicorng@...> wrote:
      Now we are really heating up without an end in sight.  Was Burnham as great as the Caribbean believed?  Is Sancho the racist Black history student right in disrespecting Burnham?  And where does one Anthony Persaud fit into this fight between two brothas?

      O Laud! Oh Laud!

      I saw "Feed House and Clothe Ourselves by 1976" in action when I spent 6 months in Guyana back in 1972..
        There were housing developments going up every where.  Food was being dumped in the Demerara River at the end of the day and the stores were filled with clothes.  1976 was approaching with the country having reached the goal with years to spare.  I don't believe that Sancho was born and haven't a clue of what such prosperity was.

      That was the year the Guyana hosted the Non-Aligned countries and Carifesta.  No shortages of Hotels or places to stay.  No shortages of food.  It was like being in a tropical paradise.

      Why Was I in Guyana in 1972?  I had gone back to work on the Electrification program that was to string a 67 KV Transmission Line from Canje in Berbice to Diamond, just south of Georgetown.  To convert all appliances to 60 Hz from the British system of 50 Hz.  At completion, the sugar plantations could sell excess power to the Electricity Corporationt and buy in times of need.  The power supply would come from the old Kingston Plant, 6 Diesel/generators in New Amsterdam and a station to be built at Diamond.  Enough power to encourage industry along the Transmission Line route which in turn would allow people to live and work in their communities.

      Georgetown would not be as congested as it presently is.  Young girls would not have to leave their communities for Georgetown where they would have to prostitute themselves in order to eat and/or find a place to live.

      Guyana would need to invite immigrants from West Indian countries as labour was needed to met the growing country.  The immigrants would have to come from the WI because the culture was similar and we could all live in harmony.

      I don't feel like continuing what might have been if the oil embargo of 1974 didn't come along.  But it is sufficient to say that the oil embargo did irreparable damage to Guyana.  I am not planning on writing a book on that or even an article.  Sancho is a Good researcher.  I leave it to him.

      I have one bit of advice for Sancho.  Do not study history without studying the economics of the country of the period you are studying.  Much of the history you write about is meaningless to me because it dos not convey any supporting evidence.  A typical example is the American fight for independence from England.  Why did they fight?  What caused it?

      You also gave Dr. Eric Williams a bit of a rough time without even reading his works.  I would suggest that you grow up before trying to express yourself to an experienced audience.

      Finally, anyone with such vision as LFSB would win "Man of the Century" every century.

      Sancho of Nabaclis <childrenofsancho@...> wrote:
      Even you will recognise and concede the Most Honourable Dr. Eric Williams was by far a better human being than your brother Forbes was.  The fat boy assassinated the brilliant and extraordinarily talented African teacher and philosopher, Dr, Walter Rodney.  Burnham did not stop there but threatened the welfare of Fred Wills.  I understand, among others, GDF soldiers; my brother’s life was in danger.

       Well let me enlighten you.  Sancho had stood by Forbes in the early going.  Bertrand Abrams, T. Anson Sancho, Uncle Oswald Sancho later U. Leebert Sancho - and his father Charlie Sancho in Bachelor's Adventure, were all Burnhamities.  Another Sancho, Emerson Samuel, painted his portrait.  Burnham was at varying times surrounded by my loved ones.  There may have been other Sanchos in Burnham’s corner, such as Harold Lutchman, and Joycellyne Loncke.  Research is continuing.

      I believe my parents were too, were Burnhamities.  They will not admit it.  By 1968, they distanced themselves from the PNC.  I often heard my father saying had he waited for Haynes and or Wills –instead of take a poor substitute, Burnham he would not have suffered defeat in the Courtroom.  Besides, he was fortunate to have Haynes and Wills to come to his rescue.  So do not think of selling me that Burnham was the greatest lawyer of the Caribbean.

      Burnham then showed Sancho his colours; Burnham them gave Sancho his but to kiss ?when they refused they begun abandoning Guyana ?for alien lands ?some swearing never to return even to rest in peace with the ancestors.
      Personally, cancelling my mother's pension after a 45-year career as a primary Schoolteacher April 1928 - September 1972.
      Stealing the Shareholders's land at Golden Grove where he Burnham built a memorial to himself.
      My mother, her sister, and relatives lost their land in the Burnham madness.

      Castro gave his family’s land to the Cuban people ?Burnham stole from the shareholders of Golden Grove and Nabaclis.

      There you have Burnham used then abused Sanchos.  However, it is the generations of Golden Grove and Nabaclis folks who lain down.  They simply refused to stand up with the female Sanchos.  The females were trying to prevent the peoples land including their own from being used for Burnham's whims.  I am most angry at the folks, who let Burnham do as he please in Golden Grove and Nabaclis. I am angry at those of my community who attacked Indians and their property. In fact, it is accurate to note that I still hate their actions - and or non movement as the case - such as the land grabbing scheme.

       Golden Grove and Nabaclis folks let Sancho down, again.  The only period they did not let Sancho down was between 1848 and 1884.  Those old timers stood with Bentick Sancho.  That is the Golden Grove I am most proud thereof.  I pray that stout leaders will again rise out of that chaos my beloved adopted ancestral home now finds itself due chiefly to the fact they bowed down to Forbes.  They turned their back on the dreams of the forty-eight shareholders.
      When I left the East Coast, it was in a horrible state.  There were daily dosages of power and water shortages ?to go with fuel and food shortages.  You would have money and nothing to buy.  I had to tilt the soil to ensure a ready supply of green leafy vegetables were readily available for home consumption.  Now it is worst.  Then police Sharma and his crew were killing people.  Now the petty criminals have armed themselves the cowardly forces are scaring the nation with their gun and ammunition.  It is death and destruction everywhere.  Retards crying for and defending their Burnham.  Had someone belled that fat cat before January 1977?  I would still be at in the tropics.

      roger moore <roger42m@...> wrote:
      Thank God where would he find time to write when he had a country to run?
      Roger

      Sancho of Nabaclis <childrenofsancho@...> wrote:
      A number of his speeches was printed and titled a Destiny to Mould. However, the Schomburg Center for Black Studies have in it collection a number of his utterances. It is not accepted that Forbes wrote anything at all. again What is known to be preserved, are speeches.
      The Schomburg center offers a wide collection of material written  on Guyana by both Guyanese and foreigners.
      Recently, it was my greatest pleasure to read Leo's Poetry in the center...Leo Martin was the foremost poet in the history of Guyana, if not the Americas. I sent an email to Mr. Howard Dodson recommending that the Schomburg Center acquire guyanese biographical books - primarily who is who in British Guiana the first three editions and the history of British Guiana Teachers' Association..

      roger moore <roger42m@...> wrote:
      Its not about what books he wrote, though one that comes to mind is a 'Destiny to Mould', but the impact that he made on the Caribbean and Guyana. It is obvious that the voters thought so

      Roger

      Carol Williams <cviva2001@...> wrote:
      Can you inform on the literature on Burnham? Did he write any books, are his speeches available?

      roger moore <roger42m@...> wrote:
      No matter how you twist and turn Sancho Burnham was the best person that ever happened for Guyana and the Caribbean. Not only did Guyanese voted for Burnham as Caribbean man of the Century but the majority of the Caribbean did as well. Don't let your hatred for the the man, for no apparent reason might I add, cloud your man. He was great for the Caribbean and Guyana.
      Roger Moore

      Sancho of Nabaclis <childrenofsancho@...> wrote:
      I made an effort to be objective and open minded in the effort to read Halim Majeed’s literature, “Forbes Burnham: National Reconciliation And National Unity, 1984-1985?
      I found it a most difficult exercise.  I simply could not get by the seventhteenth page.  My tolerance was simply; exhausted.  Although I love reading his articles, I did not read the five-page forward written by Dr. Aubrey Bonnett.  I attempted to test my ability to assess repressive forces that I personally suffered, as explained by their advisor.  However, I fond it a rather overwhelming task ?like attempting to fetch water in a basket.  I prefer reading John Gladstone after all that oppressor is European and clearly defined enemy of the people.  I must say Sam Sharp, and Paul Bogle ?adopted the right attitudes when dealing with folks such as Burnham.  Just look at the Africans in Jamaica and their attempts at self-emancipation.
      I do not know what is truthful and what is not honest in the book.  I would careless.  I noted one paragraph mentioning my hero, Dr. Walter Rodney that did for me.  Is Eusi Kwayana mentioned in the book?  Can you share with me?
      Any enlightening take you may have accessed
      What are your opinions of this exposure of the shenanigans of Burnham and Jagan and their platforms PNC and PPP, after the assassination of Walter Rodney?
      An online poll conducted a few years ago in the region he was declared “Caribbean Man of the Century.?lt;/FONT>

      I managed to read the following;

      I understood at some point between 1942 and 1945, Burnham, taught T. Anson Sancho at Queen’s College.  Thus,  the only note I appreciated is that Burnham taught Fred Wills (one of my heroes)Shridath Ramphal, Rashleigh Jackson, Bryn Pollard and Keith Massiah.(Majeed : 2)

      President Burnham’s achievements will certainly withstand the test of any scrutiny.  They are secured in the midst of external aggression and destabilization, and internal turmoil.  Territorial threats came from the eastern and western fronts; the purveyors of the old order campaigned strenuously to halt the march of national development, and the political opposition at home played havoc with the foundations of the national economy.  It is little wonder, therefore, that in an online poll conducted a few years ago in the region he was declared “Caribbean Man of the Century.?lt;/FONT>
      New historians and historiographers, as separate from mythmakers, poison-pen scribblers and charlatans, will one day objectively examine his contributions to national, regional, and international developments and record his successes ?and his shortcomings.  For, after all, he was human.  But his place in history is Secure and future generations of Guyanese will one day study him from a qualitatively different standpoint - as the formidable intellectual, resolute leader, and shrewd statesman that he was.  (Majeed: 16 & 17)

      In 1979, the outstanding Guyanese historian, intellectual and political co-leader of the Working People’s Alliance , Dr. Walter Rodney, articulated the concept of a Government of National Unity and Reconstruction, with the exclusion of the People’s National Congress.  This scenario too did not come to actualization.  (Majeed: 31 & 32)

      Eternal Blessings, Love, Peace, Power & Unity
      M'lilwana Osanku - Sancho of Nabaclis.
      Researching - Sancho, Campbell, Young (Younge), Solomon, Ross & Martin - Families of Guyana.
      History of Golden Grove and Nabaclis Village District, East Sea Coast Demerara, Guyana.
      "A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots." The Most Honourable Marcus Garvey (1887-1940) People's Power Forever Vote AFC Tme for Change - down with ethnic politics -

      Yahoo! Mail

      Yahoo! Mail

      Yahoo! Mail