209Re: [guyanese_genealogy] Neville

    Jun 6, 2005
      Hello Neville

      I regard myself as British as i am born and raised in England but i don't regard myself as English as you pretty much have to be a "club member" to get into their "club".

      I prefer to call myself an Irish-Guyanese or ethnically a Eurasian/Anglo-Indian as my Mother is from Belfast and my Father from Port Mourant.

      I have a deep interest in both sides of my Family History and in both sides of my mixed Heritage.

      I have been to Guyana a number of times and been to various places in Berbice and Demerara.

      I may not have been born or bred there but i feel a strong link culturely.

      Regarding the comunication problems, i remember before Jagan coming to power having to travel miles to make a phone call home, Telecommunications are a lot better now plus now Guyana is online we can get news as it happens.

      For a little while there had been a lot of improvements, i had seen it for myself on many of my trips to Guyana but it has all seemed to have came to a halt and the Country unfortunately now seems to be regressing rather than progressing.

      Security is a major problem at the moment with the high rise in Crime and internal Terrorism.

      The Government is however investing a lot of money into Tourism and is hoping to highlight Guyana during the Cricket World Cup and put in onto the Caribbean Tourist map.

      Guyana is rich in resources, it has Gold, Diamonds, Oil and Bauxite amongst other main exports but seems to be poor in how it manages its affairs.

      I am also sure if Guyana was ever to receive a miraculous rebate or reparation from Britain it too would disappear just like George's Gold !!

      Nobody in the Towns or Villages would see any of it, thats for certain.

      Neville Quelch <nquelch@...> wrote:
      Hi Jon:

      I no longer call myself a Guyanese because I left in 1963 and worked all over Canada.  I was never able to keep up to date on Guyanese affairs  because of the obvious communication problems.  Today, I still keep out of Guyanese affairs and depend on people like you and this genealogy service for bits and pieces of information.  Any comments, as such, must be neutral  However, I saw real progress in 1972 when the company I worked for was contracted for the electrification program of the day.  I spent 5 months in Guyana watching new subdivisions, roads  and infrastructure projects in progress.  The electrification project would have permitted new industries to start and grow in the rural areas and help avoid the congestion problem that is plaguing most of the capital cities of the developing countries and especially South America.

      Before leaving Canada to work on the project, I was called into an executive's office and told that I was going back as a Canadian and must in no way get involved in Guyanese affairs.  During my 4th month, I was approached by the main opposition party first and by the governing party second for contributions.  I informed both parties of my directives and that I could not contribute any party.  It did not take very long after for me to be summoned and told that I was needed in Canada for another project.

      I will never know if it was arranged or a coincidence but I was needed in Canada.  I really wanted to contribute to Guyana's development in any small way that I could.  Recently, I looked at the yearly increase in GDP from 1960 to 2003.  I was surprised to learn that much development had not taken place.  If a miracle could take place where Guyana was reimbursed by the UK the money would disappear like that of the gold money of the famous composite "George Pitatoe(?)."

      Regards

      Neville

      "Jon - Budmart.co.uk" <budmartuk@...> wrote:
      Hello Neville

      Thanks for your comments.

      Most Guyanese can trace their History back to the time of Slavery or Indenture.

      With the exception of the Amerindians who are the Native people of Guyana, all our Ancestors arrived in Guyana in one way or another due to the Sugar Industry.

      Sugar and Cotton were the two main exports that kept the British Empire running and Britain very wealthy.

      Britain is still a wealthy Nation today because of it's previous exploitation of "cheap labour" over the last 300 years or so.

      Although it may acknowledge it built it's wealth on the backs of our Ancestors, we are very unlikely to ever see any remorse or receive any apologies in anyway.

      Some have suggested the paying of reparations but this would bankrupt Britain as it was the main abuser of the Slavery/Indenture systems.

      Anyway it is all part of our History and the best thing to do is to build a decent future rather than living in the past.

      Neville Quelch <nquelch@...> wrote:
      Hi Jon:

      Thanks for the lesson.  It just goes to show what can be derived from the use of cheap labour in the production of economic goods.

      Enjoying this,

      Neville

      "Jon - Budmart.co.uk" <budmartuk@...> wrote:
      Hello Neville and Kizzyann

      There are numerous ways of looking at the point.

      Overall any one that isn't White is Black, then you have the different categories of Black - African, Indian, Mixed Heritage etc etc.

      There are a lot of people who have always considered themselves as "White" but have Black blood in them and they aren't aware of it until it has passed down the generations to their offspring.

      The term Mulatto is generally used in the Caribbean to describe someone who is either of mixed parentage (European/African) or of Mulatto parentage.

      They usually tend to be light skinned and have a mixture of European and African features.

      The terms Quadroon (a person having one-quarter African ancestry), Octoroon (a person whose ancestry is one-eighth African) and Quinteroon (a person who is one-sixteenth African; counted as White in some Countries) are also in use although less nowadays.

      These terms originate from the Colonial days especially in Spanish Colonies where your Racial make-up could affect your status in life and your inheritance, the laws were slightly more lax in the British Colonies.

      A lot of terms which are now deemed derogatory are still in common usage in the Caribbean where they aren't considered offensive or are considered less offensive as in other Regions.

      Refering to the Spanish terms, there are numerous terms such as Mestizo, Cafuzo, Sambo and various other terms of other Linguistic origins which describe the different mixes of African/European, African/Amerindian, African/East Indian, African/Chinese, Amerindian/European and East Indian/European and so on.

      I understood what you meant when you used the term Mulatto as meaning someone of mixed African and European heritage who is of a light-skinned complexion.

      kizzyann sam <kaas79@...> wrote:
      I'm sorry Neville i should not have placed the word race at the end of
      Mulatto, but the word Mulatto sometimes completely describes what a person
      would look like. My great grandfather as i was told had very pale complexion
      and it was difficult for anyone to know he had a drop of black blood in him
      unless that information was given to them . So by me saying Mulatto, members
      of the group i hope have a better understanding of the person i am looking
      for, if they were asking another individual instead of a paper trail.

      Discover Yahoo!