194Re: [guyanese_genealogy] Neville

    Jun 2 8:12 AM
      Hello Neville and Kizzyann

      There are numerous ways of looking at the point.

      Overall any one that isn't White is Black, then you have the different categories of Black - African, Indian, Mixed Heritage etc etc.

      There are a lot of people who have always considered themselves as "White" but have Black blood in them and they aren't aware of it until it has passed down the generations to their offspring.

      The term Mulatto is generally used in the Caribbean to describe someone who is either of mixed parentage (European/African) or of Mulatto parentage.

      They usually tend to be light skinned and have a mixture of European and African features.

      The terms Quadroon (a person having one-quarter African ancestry), Octoroon (a person whose ancestry is one-eighth African) and Quinteroon (a person who is one-sixteenth African; counted as White in some Countries) are also in use although less nowadays.

      These terms originate from the Colonial days especially in Spanish Colonies where your Racial make-up could affect your status in life and your inheritance, the laws were slightly more lax in the British Colonies.

      A lot of terms which are now deemed derogatory are still in common usage in the Caribbean where they aren't considered offensive or are considered less offensive as in other Regions.

      Refering to the Spanish terms, there are numerous terms such as Mestizo, Cafuzo, Sambo and various other terms of other Linguistic origins which describe the different mixes of African/European, African/Amerindian, African/East Indian, African/Chinese, Amerindian/European and East Indian/European and so on.

      I understood what you meant when you used the term Mulatto as meaning someone of mixed African and European heritage who is of a light-skinned complexion.

      kizzyann sam <kaas79@...> wrote:
      I'm sorry Neville i should not have placed the word race at the end of
      Mulatto, but the word Mulatto sometimes completely describes what a person
      would look like. My great grandfather as i was told had very pale complexion
      and it was difficult for anyone to know he had a drop of black blood in him
      unless that information was given to them . So by me saying Mulatto, members
      of the group i hope have a better understanding of the person i am looking
      for, if they were asking another individual instead of a paper trail.