1234Emancipation of Slavery in British Empire : 169 Years Later

  • M'lilwana Osanku
    Aug 1, 2007
      Wednesday, August 1, 1838 - Wednesday, August 1, 2007: Emancipation of Slavery in British Guiana; 169 Years Later.

      “On the 1st August, 1838 (Emancipation Day) the praedial labourers of British Guiana became absolutely freed”. Dr.  John Edward Godfrey (b. 1858), Surgeon General of British Guiana , 1912.

      “In 1834 the system of Apprenticeship created a great change in the feudal relations of master and man; the latter were no longer slaves. This partial freedom did not, however, satisfy them. They desired to be absolutely freed, and gave much trouble to their employers.” Dr.  John Edward Godfrey (b. 1858), Surgeon General of British Guiana , 1912.

      Source: Godfrey, the Hon. Dr. J. E., M.B., C.M., (E.D.), SURGEON GENERAL
      Village Administration and Local Government in British Guiana TIMEHRI: The Journal of the Royal Agricultural and Commercial Society of British Guiana ([Vol.2 Third Series - December, 1912] pages. 337 - 355) Publishers: The ARGOSY Company, Limited.)

      The Emancipation of Slavery in British Guiana took place on Wednesday, August 1, 1838. Today, Wednesday, August 1, 2007, marks 169 years or 61,726 days since that blessed event on that blessed day – However, there are several questions must Guyanese must ask themselves, including the following

       What strides has the people and the state of Guyana made in the last 169 years?
      Are we really free?
      Are we really free without reparations for 600 years of  labour in the Americas and the destruction and underdevelopment of our ancestral homeland?
      Are we really free to exist in horrible conditions as our ancestors did at that period?
      Are we really free to live in poverty?
       Are we really free to live at the whims of the ruling class?
      Are we really free to be controlled by a system of political parties?
      Are we really free to tricked by politicians and religious personnel?
      Are we really free to live with perpetual violence and criminal activities in our daily lives?
      Are we really free to exist in communities where uncontrolled bloodshed and mayhem is the order of the day?
      Are we really free to exist without socio-economic development and social justice?
      Are we really free to exist in a state of high unemployment and social degradation?
      Are we really free to exist in a state where the images of our young people are associated with criminal element and low moral values?
      Are we really free only to escape from Guyana as fast as we can?
      Just think about it, Emancipation of Slavery and share your thoughts with me – will you?

      Guyana's 1905 Rebellion - Nigel Westmaas