1134Honor Our Black Heroes: Fight for Gates Ave Renaming to Sonny Abubadika Carson Avenue.

    May 1, 2007
      FIGHT FOR GATES AVE RENAMING TO SONNY ABUBADIKA CARSON AVE

      The Legal Battle Begins Monday in a NYS Supreme Court Hearing to
      Stop NYC Council Speaker Christine Quinn and 3 white men of the Parks & Recreation committee (Council members Alan Gerson, Dennis Gallagher and Joseph Addabbo) from their unprecedented attempt to remove Sonny Carson Avenue from a package of street name changes.

      PACK THE COURT ROOM!
      Hearing
      Monday, May 7, 2007 at 9:30 AM
      NYS Supreme Court Court
      60 Centre Street
      Room 428 - Part 25
      Downtown, New York, NY

      City Council Hearing
      Wednesday, May 9, 2007 at 9:30 AM
      City Hall
      Chamber
      Downtown, New York, NY

      For more information call (718) 398-1766

      STARTING NOW
      CALL CHRISTINE QUINN EVERY DAY!

      TELL HER SHE CAN NOT DICTATE BLACK HEROES IN THE BLACK COMMUNITY
      HANDS OFF SONNY ABUBADIKA CARSON AVENUE!

      District Office
      224 West 30th St (Suite 1206)
      New York, NY 10001
      Phone: (212) 564-7757
      Fax: (212)564-7347

      City Hall & Legislative Affairs
      City Hall
      New York, NY 10007
      Phone: (212) 788-7210
      Fax: (212) 788-7207

      December 12th Movement
      Black Men's Movement
      456 Nostrand Avenue
      Brooklyn, New York 11216
      Phone: (718) 398-1766
      Fax: (718) 623-1855
      Email: D12M@...

      April 23, 2007
      PRESS STATEMENT
      For Immediate Release
      Contact: Media Relations (718) 398-1766

      A Legal Action Stops NYC Council on Sonny Carson Street Name
      A Tale of Two Cities: One Black, One White
      New York – On Friday, April 20, 2007 legal representatives of the Brooklyn, Bedford – Stuyvesant Community went into court under an Article 78, seeking and being granted a stay of action by the City Council on “Introduction 556-A”, which seeks to name approximately 53 streets in the five boroughs, until New York City Council Speaker, Christine Quinn, and Council members Alan Gerson, Dennis Gallagher and Joseph Addabbo of the Parks and Recreation Committee “Show cause” for their unprecedented action which removed the properly and legally presented request of Brooklyn’s Community Board 3 for the re-naming of Gates Ave. (between Classon Ave. and Marcy Ave.) to Sonny Abubadika Carson Avenue. This legal action challenges the aforementioned Council Members actions as arbitrary, capricious and without precedent.

      It is the view of the December 12th Movement that the actions of the City Council members named above were fundamentally racist and an attempt to deny the Black Community equal protection under the law on the one hand and our right to community control on the other.
      Exactly 150 years ago (1857) Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Roger B. Tawney, in Dred Scott Decision, issued these infamous words “ Blacks have no rights that Whites are bound to respect”, and it is clear 150 years later that four White members of the New York City Council reaffirmed Chief Justice Tawney’s words are still true.

      The Council members “capricious” cover of Mr. Carson being a “controversial” person, and Council member Gerson’s statement that “we own all the streets” can not hide that there continues to be two New York’s – One Black, One White.
      A Black community without rights. A community where over 50% of Black men are unemployed, over 50% of young Blacks drop out of High School and a young unarmed Black man can get shot 50 times the night before his wedding. A community, where just yesterday we find that the Imus racist rant was carried on by White police in the police precincts against Black women. A Black community where we are being priced out of existence, under the unwritten New York City Housing policy that Blacks live where Whites don’t want to live, until they decide to live there again – witness Harlem and Bedford – Stuyvesant.

      And on the other hand a White community of privilege that lives above the law and can change or discard the law when it suits them.

      Black Nationalist activist Sonny Abubadika Carson was a product of this condition and rose above it, not his people. Sonny was before anything else a “Black Man”, an object targeted for extinction today. Therefore, the attack on the re-naming of Gates Ave. to Sonny Abubadika Carson Avenue is more than attack on person thereof, but the example of community control, racial pride and stiff resistance offered to any disrespect of our people.
      It was Sonny who led the fight to rename Reid Ave. to Malcolm X, Sumner Ave. to Marcus Garvey, Fulton Street to Harriet Tubman Blvd. and Elementary School P.S. 262 to El Haqq Malik Shabazz School. It was Sonny who recognized that we lived in a community with many streets and cultural institutions named after slave owners and criminals who passed White approval. We do not plan on letting this racist action of these White City Council and Mayor override the wishes and will of our community. We will not stand for two cities, two rules of law and two city councils which violate our fundamental Human Rights.

      Guyana's 1905 Rebellion - Nigel Westmaas

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic