Re: [gurudwaras] Digest Number 146

  • STANISLAV VARGA
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      Guru Fateh
      Here is a very interesting question indeed. I think a
      well researched response to this question will be very
      enlightening. In my childhood I used to see pictures
      of our Gurus wearing turban wrapped around a 'kulla'.
      This was before pictures drawn by Sobha Singh started
      appearing.
      Regards
      N. Singh

      In response to the above, From what I understand, the turban wrapped around a kulla, is actually a turban wrapped around a selhi topi, which it is said that Guru Nanak wore, and the following Gurus wore upto Guru Ram Das, and the beggining of the Sodhi lineage of Gurus. The seli Topi with turban is said to be a Bedi tradition. The dastar also gained significance from the time of Guru Hargobind due to the protection it offered for warriors, while being easier to wear than a helmet.It is quite accurate that there are many pictures pre- Sobha Singh of the earlier Gurus wearing this headdress as opposed to the the dastar, however when making such an assertion, it should be noted that the time such pictures were released was onewhere the true identity and ideals of Sikhi were being compromised by the Mahants under the guidance of Brahmins, and thus such attempts may well be distortions of history to challenge the unique Sikh identity started by the first Guru Nanak, and continued till the 10th Nanak, and then gifted to the Khalsa.

      Thus in my opinion, I think I prefer the post Sobha Singh pictures.

      Sorry if I have offended anyone, or made any mistakes. If you would like me to clarify or elaborate, please let me know.

      Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru JI Ki Fateh.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/UwRTUD/UOnJAA/i1hLAA/DmiolB/TM

      There are 3 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Digest Number 142
      From: STANISLAV VARGA
      2. Re: Digest Number 145
      From: Harvinder Sidhu
      3. Re: Digest Number 145 - Message 1, Question about Turban
      From: "N. Singh"

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:41:54 -0800 (PST)
      From: STANISLAV VARGA
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 142

      Can you tell me who actuallyu wrote these first 4 lines of the Dohra please.

      Thanks

      gurudwaras@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There are 2 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. RE: Digest Number 141
      From: "bhupender singh"
      2. First four lines of Dohra ( recited after Ardas)
      From: "AP Singh"

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:59:26 +0000
      From: "bhupender singh"
      Subject: RE: Digest Number 141

      waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh

      there are total five gurudwara sahibs in France andall near to Paris.

      One of the main gurudwara in France is gurudwara singh sabha

      http://www.singhsabhaparis.com/Committee_members_main.htm

      I think you can get detail of other from this gurudwara too.

      waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh

      From: gurudwaras@yahoogroups.com
      To: gurudwaras@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [gurudwaras] Digest Number 141
      Date: 24 Feb 2005 15:32:01 -0000

      There are 2 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Digest Number 140
      From: Pritam Rangar

      2. Gurdwaras in Paris?
      From: "Mandeep Singh"

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:04:23 +0000 (GMT)
      From: Pritam Rangar

      Subject: Re: Digest Number 140

      Dear AP Singh ji,

      I was moved to read the Mool Mantra, and English version of it.
      This is the beauty of Sikh religion, we have not created a separate God
      and we do not call others by names. Great maturity of our Guru ji's
      thought, deeds and practice.

      I was wondering if it goes upto 'Nanak Hosi be Such'?

      I am in Seattle, USA and will return to London on 9 May, 2005.

      Kindest regards,

      Pritam
      ++++++++++++++++
      Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:07:22 +0000
      From: "Mandeep Singh"
      Subject: Gurdwaras in Paris?

      VaahegurooJeeKaaKhalsaa
      VaahegurooJeeKeeFaateeh

      Does anyone have any information and locations and addresses of any
      Gurdwaras in Paris France. Is there just one or is there many. And if so,
      how are they run, according to which Marayda (ie. Akal Takht (SGPC), Taksal,
      Sikh Missionary, etc.

      Would be grateful for any information or links. Thank you

      VaahegurooJeeKaaKhalsaa
      VaahegurooJeeKeeFaateeh

      http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

      NRIs, Open an ICICI Bank NRI A/c
      http://creative.mediaturf.net/creatives/icicibank/jan05/ERA_TL_MSN.htm Get a
      free CD of your favorite songs

      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:22:25 -0000
      From: "AP Singh"
      Subject: First four lines of Dohra ( recited after Ardas)

      AAAGYA BHAYEE AKAL KI , TABHEE CHALAAYO PANTH
      SABH SIKHAN KO HUKAM HAI , GURU MAANIO GRANTH
      GURU GRANTH JI MAANIO , PARGAT GURA'AN KI DEH
      JA'AKA HIRDHA SUDH HAI , KHOJ SHABAD MAIN LEH

      The order has come the from eternal lord , to create the panth
      all sikhs are hereby ordered , to accept the granth as their guru
      with faith in the guru granth , the guru's blessings become manifest
      one who truly wishes to seek god , he will find him in the words of
      the shabad.

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:11:52 +0000 (GMT)
      From: Harvinder Sidhu
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 145

      Dear Jagdev Singhji,
      Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
      I am here to answer your question. You asked why we sikhs wear Dastaar.
      So, listen because it is for this Dastaar Sri Guru Gobind Singhji faught hard & led the lifes of his entire family. In the anciant times only those weared Dastaars who were kings, maharajas, land lords, rich people, higher class caste people, etc. But Guru Sahibji Gave us this gift by removing the castism from the society & he just faught to have Dastaar for every one.
      Guruji's dream is SABAT SURAT DASTAAR. Its a duty of every Gursikh to wear dastaar after hearing to history of Sri Guru Gibind Singhji.
      So, did you get my point in brief.
      Guru Fateh
      Harvindersingh Sidhu.

      From: jagdev singh

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:54:16 -0800 (PST)
      From: jagdev singh

      hi

      im jagdev from singapore and a have a question which is .............

      why do sikhs man wear the turben?

      i have searching for the answer for a long time so if it possible anyone out there could give me the answer ......

      thanks

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      [This message contained attachments]

      [This message contained attachments]