Radical Gun Nuttery

  • McGinnes
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 12:23 PM
      By Jove, I think this chaps got the right idea:

      http://www.gun-nuttery.com/paper.php

      I really like the stickers idea.
    • Brandon Chase
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3 2:54 PM
        Yep, this guy definitely has the right idea. I think the key point is
        to just keep challenging people's assumptions. I hate to admit it, but
        I never even really thought about gun control that much until I'd
        actually held a gun in my hands and fired it. Up until that point, I
        was all for the assault weapons ban and magazine capacity restrictions
        because I'd just adopted the stereotypical liberal viewpoint of "guns
        are bad, we need to restrict them as much as possible".

        A large percentage of my friends (mostly liberal) have reconsidered
        their views on gun control since I started discussing it with them, and
        several have even become gun owners themselves. As one might expect,
        however, the ones who haven't changed their stance are the same people
        who refuse to even discuss it, and most of them actually get angry/upset
        when I try to bring it up.

        The fact that they actually get upset when I try to have a civil
        conversation with them about guns pretty much says it all. I've found
        that the "that's just stupid" argument usually indicates insecurity,
        which of course can generally be attributed to unsubstantiated beliefs
        based on knee jerk reactions/emotions rather than carefully considered,
        rational thought.

        And with people like that, trying to change their mind is like trying to
        convince a party line Republican that gay people should be allowed to
        get married :)

        Brandon

        --
        Brandon Chase