What do we think of the Kerry/Edwards team?

  • i_shouldnt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2004
      I keep reading how these guys are hunters and pro-2nd ammendment but
      I think it's congress who makes the laws for the most part. What,
      if any, effect will the inevitable Kerry win do for shooters rights?
    • Rod McGinnes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2004
        Congress follows the president's lead. The reason the
        assault weapons ban is sunsetting is because the prez
        isn't pushing it. That might be different under Kerry.
        That said, we have to get our current preident out
        before he turns America into a Haliburton subsidiary.
        It's a tough choice...do I risk my guns or my civil
        rights?
      • guntotingliberals
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 24, 2004
          I think Rod's got it right. I am not willing to give up any of my
          rights, especially the right to keep and bear arms. While 'W'
          nominally holds the same positions as Kerry (pro-Assault Weapons Ban,
          supports closing the 'gun-show loophole,' etc.,) he knows where his
          bread is buttered, and is not pushing those issues. But that is not
          the only thing I'm worried about.

          Gun rights are important to me, but so are:
          The Right to vote
          Free speech
          Freedom of the press
          Freedom of assembly
          freedom from unlawful search and seizure
          The right to due process
          The right to a speedy trial
          Seperation of Church and State
          Equal protection under the law
          The right to privacy
          Right of habius corpus

          I can name an instance where the Bush-Ashcroft administration is
          violating, or has tried to violate each of these rights and freedoms.

          Add to that a horrid economic record, a foreign policy that has left
          us isolated in the world when we most need to be engaged... the list
          goes on and on.

          Here are a couple a couple of items in the news recently that make it
          impossible for me to vote for Bush:

          The FBI approached members the American Friends Service Committee, a
          Quaker public service group that once won the Nobel Peace Prize, and
          questioned them about terrorist plans for the Republican National
          Convention. They asked them if they were planning any unlawful
          activities, or if they knew of anyone planning unlawful activities.
          They told them if they knew and didn't say anything, they were
          breaking the law and would be arrested. This is just so rememnecent
          of "Are you now, or have you ever been, a communist."
          see http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=3855705
          and
          http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/state/article/0,1299,DRMN_21_3066739
          ,00.html
          or google-news quaker and fbi

          The other is the whole swift boat thing. Bush won't renounce an
          obviously dishonest and dishonorable ad. When asked to, he
          replies, 'we should get rid of all those types of ads.' (I have to
          paraphrase, because Google is acting up.) Great, so instead of
          showing leadership or taking some responsibility, he wants to quash
          everyone else's right to free speech.