Legislation Proposal before VA Subcommittee

  • Kirt Love
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2006
      Legislation Proposal before VA Subcommittee

      Dear Readers

      Myself, Jon Powers ( VVAF ), and Garett L.Reppenhagen ( VVAF ),
      met with Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson staff yesterday at the
      Senate to discuss a few issue with them of Gulf War 1990 to present
      Iraqi Freedom 2006.

      I had proposed the salvaging of the Gulf War Registry.

      Cutting to the chase, I asked for the extension of the December 31st 2003
      deadline for 10 more years.

      Under Title 38 SS 1117, 1118 it shows that the GW Registry has
      passed its deadline. But, VA has temporarily extended the program
      under OIF to get the troops in under the Gulf War Registry.

      Below is a survey form showing the problems VA is having with
      dealing with OIF. The program has problems, and needs retooling
      which is part of what I pitched the Senators staff.

      I'm not fighting to save the Registry status quo, I've made it clear that
      the Registry needs veteran help - that's part of my push with the VA
      staff on this. But, for now I'm keeping this simple. There is nothing else
      in the wings to replace this - no national level program even proposed
      by VA - RAC or anyone else that can compete. So something is better
      than nothing.

      In the next few weeks we should hear something from the Senators
      office on the proposal, for now we have to wait on them to review
      it and come up with their input.

      More to follow.....

                                                                  Sincerely
                                                                  Kirt P. Love
                                                                  Director, DSBR

                                      DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS

      SURVEY:       2006 Environmental Agents Service Environmental Health Programs

                                         GW Operations Iraqi Freedom/Enduring Freedom

      TO:       All Environmental Health Clinicians and Coordinators

      SUBJ:   Operations Iraqi Freedom/Enduring Freedom

      Last year, our office conducted a survey for all Registries at each VAMCs and Outpatient Clinics to review and ensure policies, procedures and administrative mandates for Agent Orange, Ionizing Radiation, Depleted Uranium, Gulf War, including Iraqi Freedom were being met.  We received 161 responses out of 172 Environmental Health Coordinators.  Overall the responses to our survey were positive.

      Due to a heavy phone log of calls regarding complaints specifically on Operation Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom we have received recently from some Clinicians and Coordinators, we are once again conducting a similar Survey.  This time we need to hear from you, what are your specific complaints, so we can address your issues and concerns for an example.

      Please provide your written response to the attached survey and provide your answer to our office no later than February 14, 2006.  Your reply can be submitted electronically via e-mail to Michelle.Foster@... or Helen.malaskiewicz@....   If you have any questions or concerns please contact Ms. Foster at 202-273-8465 or Ms. Malaskiewicz at                202- 273-8463.

      Sincerely,

      Mark A. Brown, Ph.D

      Director, Environmental Agents Service

      SURVEY:       2006 Environmental Agents Service Environmental Health Programs

                                         GW Operations Iraqi Freedom/Enduring Freedom

      1. What are the backlogs, if any, you are experiencing?

      1. On average, how long does a veteran have to wait from the day of his/her request until the scheduled examination date?

      1. Do you have a F/T or P/T Clinician assigned to perform the OIF/OEF exams?

      1. If a veteran missed his/her appointment do you reschedule exams and if so how long does it take to reschedule?

      1. Do you have any problems entering exams into the EAS/AAC website?  (often, sometimes, rarely) Please explain,  http://vaww.registries.aac.va.gov

      1. Are follow up exam worksheet being performed if not,  provide reason?

      1. Are you able to establish combat veterans eligibility?