New hiccup with WRIISC clinic in DC - No Hoptel anymore

  • Kirt Love
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2006
      New hiccup with WRIISC clinic in DC -
      No Hoptel anymore

      Dear Readers

      A veteran who stayed at the DC WRIISC clinic started trouble
      with VA that has turned things for the worse. His spouse wouldn't
      stay at a hotel one night that week when they came in, even with
      a hotel voucher - and the veteran raised a stink with everyone
      including Congress. So VA's retaliation is to not offer the Hoptel
      service to family members of vets going to the WRIISC in DC.

      This is a major problem, as there are NO hotels any where even
      remotely close to the Washington DC VAMC. Worse yet, this is
      one of the roughest neighborhoods in all of DC - you don't walk
      anywhere near this area. You drive in, and drive out.

      I for one thought the idea of Hoptel ( Hotel services in the VAMC
      hospital ) made it safe for family members of patients traveling to
      DC. But, the issue has arisen that female safety with the hoptel
      so close to the psyche ward is in question as well.

      This has to change. Its not the fault of WRIISC, but VA itself not
      be accommodating enough of the family members of sick soldiers.
      Its all scary enough as it is, traveling to DC from all over America
      to a place you don't know for a week.

      I've also found the WRIISC clinic may not be able to handle 3
      vets at a time. They are now booked solid into March, and its
      sounding like 2 at a time is the max they can handle. So the
      clinic is not matching its growing pains. Which is even more
      reason to open a WRIISC clinic somewhere else - like the
      mid United States. My proposal, Houston Texas where the old
      Gulf War Referral Center was.

      But, for now something must be done about the Hoptel service
      in the Washington DC VAMC. We have lost a valuable service,
      and it needs not only to be reopened - but expanded to accommodate
      its growing clientele. Spouses of WRIISC patients.

      More to follow....

                                                          Sincerely
                                                          Kirt P. Love
                                                          Director, DSBR