LTC Peter Weina response - 1,178 Leishmaniasis cases in November 2004

  • Kirt Love
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29 10:13 AM
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 11:41 AM
      Subject: RE: 1,178 Leishmaniasis cases in November 2004

      Dear Sir;

          I understand your frustration with the variability in reported cases for leishmania, but my explanation below is still valid in the face of your most recent questions.  The simple, most direct answer to your question is that there is no "accurate" "true" number to the question as stated: "the total number of soldiers coming back with Leishmaniasis".  The question is too broad and vague.  If you ask how many laboratory confirmed cases of cutaneous leishmania are there, we can give you a number which is one answer.  If you ask how many cases have been treated for cutaneous leishmania from Iraq, we can give you a number which is another answer.  If you ask how many cases are reported to the reportable disease database, we can give you a number which is yet another answer.  None of them are going to be the same.  There are many types of leishmania (clinically), there are different ways of diagnosing leishmania (clinically or laboratory confirmed), and as stated below, there are different ways of physicians (both military and civilian) to report officially the number of cases to a database.
          I have given you my personal perspective, but it is just that, a personal perspective not backed by science and does not necessarily reflect the position of the U.S. Army.  The Office of the Surgeon General of the Army is the official source of the number of cases of leishmania in soldiers returning.  Also, the AMSA MSMR report at CHPPM is the number that is most available to you and frankly is no better or worse than data I have available to me.  In the absence of solid data to dispute those numbers, it is the best we have.

      respectfully,

      Peter J. Weina, PhD, MD
      LTC (P), MC, USA
      Director, Leishmania Diagnostics Laboratory
      Walter Reed Army Institute of Research
      503 Robert Grant Avenue
      Silver Spring, MD 20910
      Phone: 301-319-9956