Drue Barrett phone call - 2nd Response from Dr. Howard Kipen on "Defining Gulf War Illness"

  • Kirt Love
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2005
      Dear All

      I just got off the phone with Drue Barrett at the CDC concerning the
      completion of HHS-6 Defining Gulf War Illness.

      The funding for the study has only been for three years, and the funding
      had started in 1998. So Dr. Howard Kipen has worked pro-bono to
      present on what the final manuscript will be on this study. Which now
      looks like it will conclude some time in 2006.

      Drue did emphasize that the CDC would like to see a final manuscript,
      but has little authority over him since he did publish throughout these
      remaining years.

      Since Drue is a current member of the DHWG ( Deployment Health
      Working Group ) I've asked for her follow up on this, and to talk with other
      HHS staff also related to this. So Robert over at HHS will fill in other
      details for me.

      So below is all I could find out on this, and will continue to ask questions
      as they months go by. But, no there wont be any announcements on this
      for December 2005.

                                                                  Sincerely
                                                                  Kirt P. Love
                                                                  Director, DSBR

      2nd ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 7:18 AM
      Subject: Re: Defining Gulf War illness - CDC

      Thanks for your note. As I said we are still working on the overall definition(s) to be derived from our interviews. Have attached a bibliography of things we have recently published that relate to the Gulf War Illness issue.  In addition to the analyses we are working on, one additional paper is in press at the British Journal of Psychiatry:  Military Deployments as a Risk Factor for Psychiatric Illness Among Gulf War Veterans.  First author is Nancy Fiedler.  As of now I don't have an anticipated publication date.

      Boyd KC, Hallman WK, Wartenberg D, Fiedler N, Brewer NT, Kipen HM.
      Reported Exposures, Stressors, and Life Events Among Gulf War Registry Veterans.
      Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 45(12):1247-1256, 2003

      N.T. Brewer, W.K. Hallman, H.M. Kipen, N. Fiedler.
      Why Do People Report Better Health by  Phone Than By Mail?
      Medical Care 42(9):875-883, 2004.

      Fiedler N, Giardino N, Natelson B, Ottenweller JE, Weisel C, Lioy P,
      Lehrer P, Ohman-Strickland P, Kelly-McNeil K, Kipen H.
      Psychosomatic Medicine. Jul-Aug;66(4):588-98, 2004.

      Wartenberg D, Kipen, H, Hallman WK, Boyd KC, Harris G.
      Unexplained Health Problems after Gulf War Service – Finding Answers to Complex Questions (letter).
      American Journal of  Epidemiology 157(6):567-68, 2003.

      1st----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 4:06 PM

      We are no longer collecting data, but are still preparing manuscripts.
      I wasn't aware that a final report was to be created, so I certainly
      haven't been aiming for a particular release.  Can you send me a
      format that is relevant?

      There is much in your email that is not familiar to me:]
      1.  Who are you and what organization do you represent?
      2.  What is HHS-6?

      Kirt Love wrote:

      Dear Dr. Kipen

      I received a response from Deployment Health Support Directorate
      as per HHS-6 "Defining Gulf War Illness", in which they agree the
      final report is supposed to be released the end of this year - but have
      no clue as to its progress.

      I've also tried to contact Drue Barrett over at the CDC to get a answer,
      and have not heard back from her on this.

      Is HHS-6 "Defining Gulf War Illness" concluded, and ready for release
      by the end of 2005?

                                                                  Sincerely
                                                                  Kirt P. Love
                                                                  Director, DSBR

      HHS-6 "Defining Gulf War Illness"
      These are posted at several website related to this study:

      Brewer NT, Hallman WK, Fiedler N, Kipen HM.
      Why do people report better health by phone than by mail?
      Med Care, 42:875-83 2004. Article

      Kipen HM, Hallman WK, Boyd K, Wartenberg D.
      Medically unexplained symptoms associated with environmental exposures:
      Progress in defining and explaining illness.
      Epidemiology, 12:S84. 2001. Article

      Boyd K, Hallman WK, Wartenberg D, Kipen HM.
      Predicting Sick Group Membership in Gulf War Registry Veterans.
      Epidemiology, 12:S84. 2001. Article

      Hallman WK, Kipen HM, Boyd K, Wartenberg D.
      Patterns of Symptoms Among Gulf War Health Registry Veterans
      Epidemiology, 12 (Supplement): S85, Jul 2001. Article

      Wartenberg D, Boyd K, Hallman WK, Kipen HM.
      The Use of Exploratory Factor Analysis for the Study of Medically Unexplained Symptoms.
      Epidemiology, 12 (Supplement): S85, Jul 2001. Article

      Boyd K, Wartenberg D, Hallman WK, Kipen HM.
      Stability of derived definitions of medically unexplained symptoms: Gulf War illness.
      Epidemiology, 11 (Supplement): S128, 2000. Abstract

      Kipen HM, Hallman WK, Fiedler N, Wartenberg D.
      Medically Unexplained Symptoms in Gulf War Veterans: Searching for Definitions.
      Epidemiology, 10(Supplement):S44, 1999. Abstract

      HHS-6 is the legislative number for Gulf War Research
      program under Human Health Services in 1997:

      CDC website description:

      DOD website description:
      Bone, Joint & Muscle Fibromyalgia Project Summary

      Drue Barrett Testimony to Congress:
      Current CDC-funded Gulf War Studies:
      "Finally, CDC is funding the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School to conduct a study examining case definition issues. The study will assess the persistence and stability of Gulf War veterans symptoms over time, compare the performance of data-driven case definitions to existing definitions for medically unexplained symptoms, and examine the role of psychiatric conditions in Gulf War veterans' unexplained illnesses. We originally expected that this study would be completed in late 2000, however the process of protocol development and clearance took somewhat longer than we anticipated. Thus, we expect that this study will require an additional year to complete."

      So the Deployment Health Support Directorate Website shows
      this study isn't complete. Estimated Completion Date: June 30,2003
      But, the CDC website says the end of 2005.

      Defining Gulf War Illness

      In November 1997, CDC funded a study to characterize and compare different approaches for defining the medically unexplained illnesses of Gulf War veterans. This study by the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School compared the symptoms of two groups of Gulf War veterans at two points in time. The study subjects included Gulf War veterans from the Department of Veterans Affairs' Gulf War Registry who had participated in a previous study conducted by the New Jersey researchers, and veterans who had participated in the CDC Air Force study. Data-driven case definitions for illness previously derived from these two groups of Gulf War veterans were compared with standard or existing case definitions for unexplained multi-symptom illnesses (such as chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and multiple chemical sensitivity) to determine which definition best characterized Gulf War veterans' unexplained illnesses. The study also tried to determine how well the derived and existing case definitions could be generalized in a new random sample of deployed and nondeployed Gulf War era veterans and active duty soldiers. The investigators are preparing manuscripts for publication which are expected by the end of 2005.
      The study subjects included Gulf War veterans from the Department of Veterans Affairs Gulf War Registry who had participated in a previous study conducted by the New Jersey researchers, and veterans who had participated in the CDC Air Force study.

           Project: HHS-6
           Agency: Department Of Health And Human Services
           Location: CDC, University of Medicine and Dental of Robert Wood Johnson Med School

           P.I. Name: H M Kipen
           Research Type: Epidemiology
           Research Focus: Symptoms & General Health
           Focus Category: Mental Health
           Study Start Date: November 01,1997
           Estimated Completion Date: June 30,2003