Regarding Wade George Dinner Benefit in Mich, a gulf war vet

  • Kirt Love
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2005

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: MarysAWOL@..
      Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 5:50 PM
      Subject: Regarding Wade George Dinner Benefit in Mich, a gulf war vet

      Hello,
      I'm sending this email to every Senator and Congress Persons that I hope will completely read this email and willing to help. I'm also sending this to a few Governors. I'm also going to encourage my friends and family to send an email to very same people I have today.

      My name is Mary Cross, I live in Wyandotte, Michigan. I'm actually writing for my friend, Wade George and he lives in Grand Blanc, Michigan.

      Wade is a 40 year old man that was recently diagnosed with lung cancer and brain metastasis, he has three tumors in his brain. While he was initially told he has 90 days to live, he's praying for a miracle that he can survive this. The day after he was told of the diagnosis, he married his girlfriend of two years. Between the two of them they have five kids, three are residing with them.

      He has so much to do now, radiation treatments, other Dr appointments, set up a trust fund for the kids, assure that his wife be taken care of, not to mention, assure that his wife and kids will be able to reside in their home. Another concern is, he wants to adopt his wife kids, however, he can't afford it now. He prays a lot, but he worries more. He shouldn't have to worry and he shouldn't have to be concerned. What he should be able to do is focus on living, surviving, beating the cancer.

      Wade was selling real estate, however, he's no longer able to work, and his wife is needed home to take care of the kids and plus to take Wade to all of his necessary appointments.

      My friends and I are putting together a dinner benefit for Wade and his family. I found out on Wednesday, July 20 of Wade's cancer, and by Friday, July 22, we had a hall donated. As of today, we have enough food to serve approximately 350+ people. The benefit will be held on Sunday, August 7. It's great that we're having this for him, however, I already know we're not going to generate enough money to assure Wade that his house payments will continually be paid, insurance premiums, utilities, groceries, etc.

      Which brings me to the reason why I'm writing to you. Wade is a special man. Why is he special? Wade served in the Army for 7 years and 26 days. As well as, he was deployed for duty for Desert Storm/Gulf War. He was over there from August 6, 1990 to May, 1991. He's a Vet, a disabled Vet at that. On Veterans Day, 1999 he was declared a disabled Vet; on that very same day he was undergoing surgery for an open lung biopsy. Being a Vet, one would think the resources available would be insurmountable. However, it's not! Surprising? I'm outraged and so is Wade, as well as all of our friends and family.

      Wade was given one day notice that he was being deployed for Desert Storm. He had one day to ready himself. No time to do any researching on if he really should do this. There was no option, he was in the Army, he had to go, no questions asked. No questions allowed. Wade recently tried to get assistance from VA. Do you know what he was told? There's a 9 month waiting period to apply for benefits!!!!!!!! NINE MONTHS!!!!!!! He serves our country within one day notice, yet, he has to wait NINE whole months to APPLY?? What if he doesn't have nine months? Does it forfeit any benefits he would have qualified for if he dies before the nine months are over?

      This is an injustice to ALL of our men and women that have served for our country! If they can be deployed at the drop of a hat, then they should be able to get assistance at the drop of a hat! For people like Wade that are already concerned and praying that they are able to beat the odds of cancer, they shouldn't have to worry whether or not their families will be financially set after they pass away. The more worrying they do, the more it kills their immune system!

      Why can't it be when a VET is diagnosed (with news such as Wade's) that all a Dr has to do is fax or email all of the medical information into the VA system and the process can begin right away? Don't you think our VET's deserve that? They shouldn't have to wait and worry! We need to have a new law, amendment, enactment, what ever you want to call it, to help our VET's. I don't want for Wade to have to continually lose sleep and worry about finances for his wife and kids. I don't want him to worry about if he's going to lose his house.

      Please, Senators, Representatives, Governors, please help Wade and ALL of the others that are in his same position. Please help ease the concerns and worries. They deserve that after serving for our country. Allow them to focus on their health and spending quality time with their families.

      Thank you for taking the time to read my email.

      Mary L. Cross
      538 Ford Ave
      Wyandotte, MI  48192
      734-281-1615

      Wade E. George
      6441 Club Court West
      Grand Blanc, MI 48439
      810.695.6139

      "When I stand before God at the end of my life,
      I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left,
      and could say, "I used everything you gave me"."
      Erma Bombeck

      Benefit dinner to aid Gulf War vet

      Thursday, August 04, 2005

      By Brad Kadrich
      Staff Writer

      Colleen Wagner says the dilemma facing her friend and former roomate, Wade George, is like a Lifetime network movie of the week.

      George, a Gulf War veteran who came home with a disease doctors had been unable to diagnose, now faces the prospect of death after doctors found three inoperable brain tumors. A Grand Blanc resident, George spent more than seven years in the U.S. Army.

      He was recently given just 90 days to live, and now his friends are trying to raise money to help him fight the disease and help his family.

      "He's paying for all his medications, and he wants to adopt his wife's children," said Wagner, a Westland resident who roomed with George for a period of time. "We all adore him, and we'd like to do anything we can to help him."

      To that end, his friends have organized a benefit dinner for George in Plymouth. The event takes place 2-6 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 7 at the VFW Post 6695 on Mill in Plymouth. The dinner will feature mostacciolli, salad, rolls and soft drinks. Entertainment will punctuate the evening with the music of Keith Parmentier of Westland and comedians Mark Knope and Chrissy Burns.

      The event will also feature raffle prizes and a silent auction, items for which include two tickets to a U-M homecoming game, collectibles and gift certificates. The event also includes a bake sale and a bottle drive.

      While George lives in Grand Blanc, Plymouth was chosen as the site for the benefit because of its central location to George's friends, most of whom live in the area. The small group met mostly while chatting on-line, struck up friendships and base their relationships on helping each other.

      "We've met lots of wonderful people in the chat room, and many of us would meet on a Saturday night just to put a face to a name that was on the screen," said Mary Cross, a friend who is organizing the benefit. "What's great about this chat room is that whenever someone is in need we all do our best to get together and help that person and their family out."

      Tickets for the benefit are $10 for adults, $6 for children under 12 and $5 for senior citizens; children under 3 eat free.

      For more information, call Colleen Wagner, (734) 674-4570, or Mary Cross at (734) 281-1615.

      bkadrich@... - (734) 459-2700