Edgewood and Sarin studies

  • Kirt Love
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2005
      Dear Michael

      Your points are all valid on the MUFA IOM handling
      of its data. Only problem is no ones addressing any
      of this at this moment, its not being mentioned at
      VA - WRIISC - DOD - etc.

      All I can say is that I will make this part of my future
      questions to committees to include the Gulf War
      IOM health review now going on. VA and DOD next.

      The Edgewood experiments are another sorry chapter in
      the DOD human test trials. So you have my sincere apologizes
      that as a American Citizen I did not sanction this. This was
      the brain child of sick people in power who felt human life
      was expendable. Which still goes on today.

      However, I will ask DHSD Mike Kilpatrick on this
      issue of Edgewood, and see if I can make it a more
      pressing part of the SHAD era data they glossed over.
      Project:VA-63A

      I know this isnt quite the answer you had in mind,
      but Ive seen weird things go through the hands of
      DHSD, and then they sit on it for years.

      This is one of them. I will follow this more advidly.
      Again, thank you for serving your country - and
      surviving all that to speak out about it.

                                                  Sincerely
                                                  Kirt P. Love
                                                  Director, DSBR

      Note: Could you break up your copy into paragraphs in the
      future, as a favor to me. Its very hard to read the message
      in one giant paragraph, my eyes arent that good anymore.

      This is the link to the original report in pdf at the IOM.

      The doctor did this phone survey on a Army Grant
      DAMD17-99-1-9485, and released in Military Medicine.

      This report is similar to the IOM MUFA report:
      Long-term Follow-up of Army Personnel
      Potentially Exposed to Chemical Warfare Agents

      The Medical Follow-Up Agency worked under special
      security protocols, and cant release all its data sources.

      Long-Term Health Effects of Exposure to Sarin and
      Other Anticholinesterase Chemical Warfare Agents
      March 20, 2003

      During the period from 1955-1975, the U.S. Army conducted a series of experiments at Edgewood Arsenal, Maryland in which military volunteers were exposed to various kinds of substances, including chemical warfare agents such as sarin and other anticholinesterases. This is the second survey done to examine the adverse long-term effects of known exposure in the volunteers from the Edgewood experiments. In this current study, the Medical Follow-up Agency of the Institute of Medicine conducted a telephone survey of 4,022 military volunteers to compare the current health of those exposed to anticholinesterase agents with the health of men in two other control groups: those who had been exposed to other substances and those who had been exposed to no active agents. The telephone survey asked about general health, but was mostly focused on neurological and psychological health problems. This is because there is some evidence that exposure to pesticides-which chemically resemble anticholinesterase agents and thus might be expected to produce similar health effects from exposure-can cause neurological and psychological health problems.

       In general, the study found few differences in health among the three groups of men. Experimental exposure to anticholinesterase agents was associated with significantly greater sleep problems and significantly fewer attention problems, depending on the control group with which the comparison was made. Statistically significant differences were not found in memory problems, peripheral neuropathy, vestibular dysfunction (i.e., dizziness), depression, generalized anxiety, somatization, or prevalence of birth defects.

       The survey also asked about exposures to hazardous chemicals outside of the Edgewood experiments. Men who reported such exposure also reported significantly higher levels of problems in memory, attention, sleep disturbance, peripheral neuropathy, somatization, depression, generalized anxiety, vestibular dysfunction, and birth defects. These higher levels were independent of experimental exposure. However, they may be subject to reporting bias; i.e. because the non-experimental exposures were self-reported, there may be a tendency for those who recall hazardous chemical exposure to be more likely also to recall health problems. In this study, the health effects of experimental exposure were less frequently seen than the effects of non-experimental exposure.

       This study was funded by Army grant DAMD17-99-1-9485 and appears in Military Medicine: International Journal of AMSUS, Volume 168(3): 239, March 2003.