Fw: [gulflink] VA overseas exams

  • Kirt Love
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2005

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 10:07 AM
      Subject: RE: [gulflink] Persian Gulf Coordinators - under review

      VA will not pay for registry exams (this would include the Gulf War Phase I & Phase II)  for veterans residing overseas .  If the veteran plans to return to the US, arrangements should be made in advance at the VA facility to schedule a registry exam.  Also, if the veteran is willing to pay for the registry exam at the overseas location and a private physician is willing to perform the registry exams overseas (in this case Germany) the pertinent VA administrative issue and appropriate forms may be obtained from the VA Medical Center, 50 Irving Street, N.W. , Washington , DC  20422 , Attn:  Environmental Health Coordinator (136). The physician must complete GWR examination worksheets with exception of the facility number, suffix (if applicable) and county and state.  This information will be completed by the VA EH Coordinator at Washington, DC who transmits the code sheet date to the AAC registry website.

      Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) only pays for an exam when a compensation requires an exam for rating purposes.

      Our VBA office staff stated they believe that Dr. Stargardt (plus several others) are conducting Compensation and Pension exams and treat veterans (as authorized by FMP).  Without getting information from the Consulate in Frankfurt, they do not fully understand this request. The veteran needs to explain what he is looking for (if these are registry exams then these are not one of the benefits provided overseas; the veteran, when he returns to the US, should request this exam at that time from one of our VA facilities)  If this relates to compensation, please provide some specifics and the VBA will respond to this request.

      Refer to the following article on Foreign VA benefits:

      Foreign VA Benefits

      VA provides benefits and services to veterans overseas; however, those  benefits and services are provided in a different manner than for veterans who live in the United States.

      VA will pay for medical services for treatment of service-connected disabilities for veterans who are living or traveling in foreign countries (Canada and the Philippines excluded).  Authorization and payment for medical treatment of service-connected disabilities are completed by our Foreign Medical  Program (FMP) located in Denver, Colorado.  The FMP address is: P.O. Box 65021, Denver, CO  80206-9021.  Veterans living in Canada should contact the VA Center in White River Junction, VT 05009-0001, and veterans living in the Philippines should contact the U. S. VA Office, 2201 Roxas Blvd., Pasay City 1300, Philippines.

      VA regional offices are responsible for processing and establishing service-connected conditions, pension ratings and other benefit programs.  Veterans who live in Canada should file a claim with the VA Center in White River Junction, VT at the address listed in the above paragraph.  Veterans living in Mexico, South and Central America, and the Caribbean should file a claim with the Houston Regional Office at 6900 Almeda Road, Houston, TX 77030.  Veterans in the Philippines should contact the VA Office at the address list in the above paragraph.  Veteran living overseas in countries not listed above should contact the Pittsburgh Regional Office, 1000 Liberty Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222.

      Veterans and their dependents living overseas can also contact the United States Embassy, the Foreign Benefits Unit (FBU), in the country they are living for assistance.  FBU staff can assist veterans and their dependents in filing VA benefit claims and in answering VA benefit questions.

      Veterans and their dependents can also find information about VA benefits and services provided overseas on the World Wide Web at:

      (www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/foreign/index.htm).  This web site provides valuable information about VA's Foreign Services Program, and it also enables the inquirer to ask questions, receive answers to their questions, and to apply on line for a number of VA benefits.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 22, 2005

        Thanks for helping me get this information. I do appreciate it. Problems with the US consulate in Frankfurt: Nobody at the consulate seems to be able to give a direct answer to any questions that I might seem to ask. Secondly they have very limited hours for calling for helping if I am not mistaken 3 ½ to 4 hours each morning. In my experiences with them they (anyone there) seems to play telephone tag with you example: “I will have to transfer you” you end up on hold for long long periods or transferred again. All telephone calls cost money here in Germany especially city to city calls. Being on the telephone from my city Schotten to Frankfurt (roughly 90 kms) can add up quickly.

        My points are these: 1. Extremely hard to access 2. Nobody seems to be able to answer any question 3. They are responsible for scheduling any VA exams which they do not or will not do. 4. Very frustrating, expensive, and time consuming to get any type of answer.

        The US consulate scheduled my last appointment with the VA (roughly 2002 if my memory doesn’t fail me). I took a day off work, caught the train to Frankfurt, then caught a city bus, then walked several city blocks to make it to my appointment on time with DR. Stargardt. When I finally did arrive, I found a note on the door saying that she no longer does nor accepts VA appointment in English. Needless to say, this trip to Frankfurt cost me a lot of money and I was so agry that I could chew nails. When I did get back home I called the VA in the states to complain, They said, that they knew that DR, Stargardt no longer was seeing any VA patients and that it was the US consulates job to schedule and call off (notify me) any appointments scheduled with DR. Stargardt. So, needless to say I tried to get somebody on the phone at the Consulate. I succeeded but all they could do was pass me from person to person. The US consulate has serious problems! Therefore, us veterans living here in Germany suffer the consequences!

        I am not complaining here and am grateful for your efforts on my behalf! I just wanted to let you know of my costly and frustrating experiences with them!

        Thanks! Danny

[...]

        gulflink@yahoogroups.com is a service
        of http://www.gulflink.org.

        Hosted by: The Desert Storm Battle Registry
        A Gulf War Veteran advocacy group!

        Messages posted to this service are the
        opinions of the senders, and do not
        necessarily represent that of the group
        or DSBR. Any advertisements posted at the
        bottom are not necessarily endorsements
        of DSBR and affiliates.