DHSD Feb 6th 2003 meeting - Kirt Loves commentary

  • DSBR
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2003
      DHSD Feb 6th 2003 meeting - Kirt Loves commentary

      Today we had Dr. Meryl Nass attend with us as we talked
      with Mike Kilpatrick, Barbara Goodno, and other DHSD
      staff.

      This time we were NOT allowed to audio tape the meeting,
      due to national security - so instead they had a person
      taking the minutes for us.

      I opened with asking Mike for a status update on the last few
      months of questions. He had heard from frank O-Donnel that
      I wanted more than a one paragraph explanation for each item.

      Project SHAD Registry walk ins
      With regards to Project SHAD, its was explained to is that VA
      will now except Project SHAD Registry walks ins. Meaning that
      if a SHAD vet feels he may have been effected and has not
      received a letter from either VA or DOD - he can still request
      a SHAD related examination. VA and DOD had heard from us
      and others that SHAD vets were being turned away at VAMC's.
      So we will continue to monitor and advice them of VAMC's that
      continue to turn away vets. ( we will confirm this with VA next
      week ).

      Case Narratives - Unlikely vs. Possible
      Asto the OSAGWI case narrative argument of "Possible  vs.
      Unlikely". Well, VBA told DHSD that vets evaluations were not
      effected by the OSAGWI / CIA Khamasiyah narratives - then
      Mike elaborated on a case of VBA calling them on the phone
      about a vets claim that hinged on the narrative. So though they
      are arguing that they do not want to change the wording of
      the narratives, it appears the documents DOD effect claim
      adjudication for service connection. So it looks like a battle
      will ensue with VBA asto how to change this so that the
      OSAGWI narratives do NOT impact pending Gulf War claims
      on the argument of "Benefit of the Doubt vs. Burden of Proof ".

      John / Jane Doe Registry
      How do we account for more than 7,000 homeless / missing
      Gulf War veterans when it comes to the Gulf War death rate
      stats. We asked that Mike staff try harder at approaching WRIISC
      Dr. Han to address this in their survey studies. If a Gulf War
      vet dies, and is unidentifiable - then how is this updated to
      Social Security / Veteran Affairs. We were also redirected
      back to the VA's homeless program newer efforts. Again we will
      address their with VA shortly.

      AFIP tissue vaults - accessing HIV blood vaults
      This one is driving the AFIP nuts as they continued to get
      weekly request into this matter, and who will pay for the cataloging
      of Gulf War tissue samples. VA - RAC / WRIISC / HHS / DHSD.
      The matter continues to escalate internally as each department
      passes it up the chain, starting with the Research Working Group.
      They have no sound reason to refuse this request, and its still
      getting stuck in forum. But, we upped the anti by pushing the
      inclusion of the McKesson contractor to expand the purpose
      and use of the HIV blood vault for Gulf War research.

      USTRANSCOM
      Will they do a better job of monitoring refrigerated medical items
      in transit during Gulf War II. They had done a botch job on
      monitoring and transporting items in the 1990 conflict, specifically
      PB and Vaccine products. Namely the Anthrax Vaccine.

      Leichmaniasis monitoring in Afghanistan
      We will stressed the need for stricter monitoring and hygiene
      practices in Afghan with the Leichmania outbreak in full
      bloom. The troops need more than visual observation, and
      better training on parasitic diseases endemic to the region.

      Ganged Vaccine Research - there is none
      We still stressed the problem that this is now a hind site
      issue now that the troops have left port with ganged vaccines
      and 25% of the predeployment medical screenings not taking
      place. What little animal research that has been done on
      massed vaccines has met with terminal results, and shows
      a problem with multiple vaccines given in a short period.
      There wont be any effort to keep medical records in the
      field other than MED-EVAC and Naval medical records.
      Are these people being advised on the VAERS program,
      and are they receiving proper training on the use of
      the PB tabs, etc.

      Classified Missions - Service Connection
      How do we get a veteran service connected for a injury
      incurred during active duty missions. This is part of a
      database program being worked on with Special Forces
      for now. more to follow...

      NSO /VSO materials
      We want the materials that are given to the NSO's
      during the NSO / DHSD meetings on the proviso that
      the service groups DO NOT CIRCULATE information.
      There is no exceptable reason to exclude Grass roots
      from information that is supposed to be public knowledge.
      Unless something dirty is going on they don't want us
      to know, and that's what I FIRMLY believe.

      I hope that Venus and Meryl can fill in other points or
      areas that I may have missed. Part of this is addressed
      in the Bob Dunlap notes here at the bottom from DHSD.
      The rest we are expecting from DHSD in a timely and
      professional manner.

      We did our best for the troops of Gulf War II, and now
      begins the process of scrutinizing everything we can
      in the coming months as the war rages on.

      We will post the next meeting in advance enough for
      others to attend the March deadline.

                                                          Sincerely
                                                          Kirt P. Love
                                                          Director, DSBR

      Page 1
      DHSD's Bob Dunlaps notes from December 10th 2002
      meeting with Kirt love and Venus Hammack

      Page 2

      Page 3
    • Venus Hammack
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2003
        Anthrax Vaccines
        DoD-Health Affairs believes they can administer the first three series of shots
        before troops deploy into Middle East. Currently this is not happening.

        Gang Vaccinations
        DHSD is not tracking this events and has been unable to show
        documentation of Regulations prohibiting this in any protocols.

        Autopsy of Gulf War Vets
        DHSD says they do not know of programs to Central collect or track the
        cause of number of deaths of this population. DHSD report that Defense
        Manpower Data Center is NOT tracking (no evidence give) deaths in the
        medical retired and TRL personnel.
                Again the policy of "Don't Look, Don't Find"
                will hide the pathology in these deaths.

        Pyridostigmine Bromide
        DHSD failed to show us evidence of update medical education material
        which would inform medical personnel or servicemen on adverse effects
        and shelf-life of Pb. It is still unknown if there is a reporting mechanism to
        report, monitor, collect adverse effects.

        DHSD failed to show any Regulations or Mechanism to track deaths or
        illness in Dishonorable Discharge Veterans.

        DHSD failed to show any Regulations or Mechanism to track adverse reactions
        to Botox in service personnel.  Without this information medical research in
        DoD and Dept of Veterans Affairs is crippled.
                        Jagmedic (deployment illness) DSBR
[...]

        When it rains, it pours.