Reponse VA-RAC meeting 1028-02

  • Venus Hammack
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2002
      WARNING WARNING DANGER
      Gulf War Illnesses Issues is now like a car
      running on a flat tire. It is still moving but we are
      not going to get far, unless we change the Tire.

      Why do I say this, there are 325,000 veterans
      who say their health declined by some degree
      due their military service in the gulf war era period. Yes

      Yet on Monday, at the VA-RAC open hearing- besides
      the Committee, Kirt, Dave, and Denise and myself,
      2 other GW vets and 4 minor reporters, there were
      no other supports present.  Oh, I forgot a representative
      from DHSD (osagwi) was sitting behind me too!

      Only 3 vets wrote me - a send me an email, and requested
      I transport their ideas/opinions/complaints so I would hand
      deliver to the Committee members . Which I did.

      Listening to the Open remarks of the RAC committee, I
      was disappointed to learn of the situation they were in.
      [1] Charter/mission and authority was being ignored by
      other Offices in the Dept VA. The RAC was not being told
      when and if new projects/studies would be completed or
      notice of public creation of others.

      [2] Not withstanding, the direction of the VA Secretary, the
      GAO reports, congressional hearings DoD has done next to
      nothing to combine various databases to VA. Or shared GW
      statistics with the RAC.
      These requests are at least 36 months old. Snailpace.

      [3] With the huge speed bumps listed in the above 2
      paragraphs, the RAC with the best intentions and
      recommendations for GW veterans has been able to
      accomplish little. I do thank every member of the
      Committee for their efforts.

      [4] the RAC is being slowed by the bureaucratic nightmare.
      Which can not be relived unless thousand of veterans
      protests in writing or march, this Veterans Day.

      The flat has not stopped this car (RAC) yet, but it will
      it takes a nationwide response to change its tire.

      VA-R&D (cooperative studies) office gave us & RAC
      the following bread crumb to lull us:
              18 Oct 02 Program Announcement
              Deployment and Health Research Study.
      Todate this study has no assigned director
          no assigned fund source;
          no specific design abstract;
          no designated start or end date. Just a title !
      Sound like smoke to me.

      The RAC did inform me of one (1) other future study
      which has more legs (definition) and is funded.
      Are you getting what tax dollars should purchase? No

      Research, compensation, medical care,
      transportation for treatment, legislation are being
      given the weakest, lame response by DoD/Health Affairs
      Office and VA Environmental Agents offices. The
      Committee of Government Reform, has no teeth.
      I have yet to see Govt Reform submitted any office or
      agent to DOJ (justice) for accountability for the many
      regulations which have been failed to be implemented.

      There is no Article 15 here. If the job is not done - like
      merger of databases - no one lose their job here!
      Unless people/veteran again get public active the flat
      will stop this car.

      I await your response. Venus Hammack
      disabled gulf war veteran and angry citizen;
      reporting observations from the DC machine.

      DoD & VA Directors Don't Lie- Just Omit Data
    • ttopid@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2002
        Many apologies!  I had every intention of attending this meeting and even spoke with Kirt because I couldn't afford to be there for both days, deciding that Tuesday would be the day for me to attend.  However, my little boy (just 5 years old) got sick and no one in the house got any sleep.  He was up coughing all night and we were all up with him.  I wanted to be there, but it is a 3 hour drive for us on little (if any) sleep and we just couldn't drive the Beltway like that at the hour of maybe 0500 in the morning to get there in time.  I did submit all questions and comments on line prior to the meeting and I regret that I couldn't be there.  I am also disappointed to hear the outcome wasn't better.  But, it isn't for the lack of trying.  I know I am not the only one who submitted something in writing to the RAC.  I know that you are angry and hurt that attendance wasn't better.  However, as you should fully understand, we are all sick and have families who are sick.  Not everything is always just personal sacrafice.  I would have been more than willing to sacrafice some sleep and time to attend.  However, I can't make the drive alone and my kids can't be suffering as was the case.  There is really no need to make everyone here, who all care so much, feel responsible for these things.  I am sorry I wasn't there but my kids come first in everything in my life.  It isn't always someone else's fault.  We don't have the money or compensation to make the trip and although many of us would make arrangements outside the financial restraints, we have children and some of us have young children.  Please try not to blame those of us who have issues beyond this very important issue.  In your commentary here, I felt that you were somehow feeling abandoned in this struggle with the RAC.  It isn't personal and things do come up.  I know of many here who would have loved nothing more than to have been there (myself included), but some things are beyond our control.  I would be at every meeting and function if possible.  It just isn't possible.  I would love to be there for the Freedom March on Veterans Day.  However, I am scheduled for hospitalization during that time.  Atop all other issues we all suffer, we don't need to feel that we are somehow abandoning these very things that are so important to us.  I am sorry you are so angry and upset.  But, I happen to know that I wasn't the only one with an illness interfering with my plans for attendance.  I would like to know all the details I missed while caring for my sick son.  If you should feel so compelled as to call, you have my numbers at home and on my cellular.

        I am sorry I couldn't be there in more ways than I could even begin to tell you.  But, please don't hold us all responsible for things beyond our control.  This is how I read your message and I am sure I am not alone in this.  We all care and we all work toward getting things done.  I should say, at least most of us do.  We are all angry and we are all hurt and sick.  Taking it out on each other doesn't help matters, though.  ~Tracie~
[...]

        gulflink@yahoogroups.com is a service
        of http://www.gulflink.org.

        Hosted by: The Desert Storm Battle Registry
        A Gulf War Veteran advocacy group!

        Messages posted to this service are the
        opinions of the senders, and do not
        necessarily represent that of the group
        or DSBR. Any advertisements posted at the
        bottom are not necessarily endorsements
        of DSBR and affiliates.

      • Phillip Nelson
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2002
          ~Tracie~
              It is OK to feel that way. Most of us know you would be there if you could, but things happen or @!&$. And I understand. I think all she was tring to do is to give us information on the RAC and DOD OR HEAD UP!
          "Unless people/veteran again get public active the flat
          will stop this car." In hope, the all US PUBLIC see how things going for us (GULF WAR VETS). I hope you family is doing better. I wish, I could have been at the meeting too. I do not have the money at this time.
          Keep the faith,

          Phillip W. Nelson, Sr.
          5011 Ruthie Cove
          Memphis, TN 38127
          Phone: (901) 358-0714

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2002
              Tracie
              I am not unhappy with you not going to the
              RAC hearing. You have support this issue
              by your writing. You have given me letters for
              DSBR to walk in to government offices with. I thank you.
              If only more vets would.
                              For The Duration... Jagmedic
                              Deployment Illness Advocate - DSBR
              (PS) when I was in the Gulf War and worked very often in
              Coalition HQ Riyadh, folks& family keep asking me how long we
              usa would be there. After a couple of months, my answer was
              for the duration.