intro

  • danterosati <dante@interport.net>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
      Hi-

      I thought if we introduce ourselves and describe our observing
      locations, it will make it easier for people to see who is near who
      and who has found a good site, etc.

      I live on 75th st and Third Ave. There is a firehouse and schoolyard
      on 75th between second and third where I set up: the sidewalk is wider
      there, its a little darker, and not as much traffic. semi decent view
      of southern and eastern sky. I know going to the park or something
      would be much better, but I value being able to just go around the
      corner easily.

      I have a 8" Coulter dob, a c102hd, which is what I am using these
      days, with a drive so I dont have to keep jumping back to the eyepiece
      in between each viewer to use the slomo controls. I have just placed
      an order for a DGM optics 4" off axis newt OTA. should have it by May
      or so. I am >very< excited about this scope. check out the reviews
      especially:

      http://users.erols.com/dgmoptics/

      anyway, I hope we can all meet up for a starparty...

      that is....

      IF IT EVER CLEARS UP!!!!

      Dante
    • puddin12359 <puddin12359@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2003
        Hi - yes, this is a great way to start!

        I don't have my scope yet, but I ordered an 8" dob from Discovery,
        and it should be shipped either next week or shortly after (I called
        them today, explaining I'm a total "lefty", and they're customizing
        the tube so that the viewfinder and eyepiece is on the side where I
        can comfortably use it - the best thing is that they're doing this
        at no extra charge!). I've never used a telescope before, so I'm a
        newbie. I have a lot of learning to do.

        I live in a 3-story apartment building in Rego Park, Queens. I'm
        going to try the scope from my roof and will let you know how that
        works out. Also, there's a very nice park less than a mile from my
        place called Juniper Valley Park. It's equal to about 4 or 5 city
        blocks long, and roughly 2 blocks wide, and it has a huge softball
        field - enough for at least 2 different games going on at the same
        time, as far as I remember. There are no tall buildings around it,
        it's strictly residential - nothing but houses across the streets.
        I'm going to go by there one evening soon to see if it's lit up in
        the evenings. If it's not, it would be a great observing site. I'm
        only about 20 minutes from Midtown Manhattan by car (assuming no
        traffic over the 59th St Bridge and Queens Blvd.), or you can take
        the LIE to the Woodhaven Blvd Exit 19 - the park itself is only 10
        minutes from there, if that. I believe that would be the darkest
        area where I am.

        Hopefully I'll be able to share some good experiences with you soon!

        Marion

        --- In
        guildofmanhattansidewalkastronomers@yahoogroups.com, "danterosati

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2003
          HI Marion-

          My first telescope was an 8" dob too - one of those old Coulter dobs
          with the red tube. In fact its sitting here in the kitchen not three
          feet from me. Dobs cant be beat for ease of operation- I just had
          trouble pointing the thing at first (it didn't come with a finder),
          until I put a Telrad on it- then it was EASY. From my roof I could
          find m13 and even glimpsed the ring nebula- faint to be sure, but I
          could see it. I mostly just stared at Saturn for hours. I didn't find
          out just what the scope could do deep-sky wise until I took it upstate
          to go camping- then it was simply mind-blowing. I had to wait 3 or 4
          months for mine after I ordered it, so waiting a week or so aint too
          bad. :-)

          Your dark(er) sky site by your house sounds good. Let us know how it
          works out.

          Dante

          "puddin12359 <puddin12359@y...>" <puddin12359@y...> wrote:
> [...]
          > wider
          > > there, its a little darker, and not as much traffic. semi decent
          > view
          > > of southern and eastern sky. I know going to the park or something
          > > would be much better, but I value being able to just go around the
          > > corner easily.
          > >
          > > I have a 8" Coulter dob, a c102hd, which is what I am using these
          > > days, with a drive so I dont have to keep jumping back to the
          > eyepiece
          > > in between each viewer to use the slomo controls. I have just
          > placed
          > > an order for a DGM optics 4" off axis newt OTA. should have it by
          > May
          > > or so. I am >very< excited about this scope. check out the reviews
          > > especially:
          > >
          > > http://users.erols.com/dgmoptics/
          > >
          > > anyway, I hope we can all meet up for a starparty...

        • Marion
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2003
            Where did you place the telrad? I ordered one with the scope, but I haven't actually seen one on a dob. Someone else told me that I could put it where ever I want, but I just don't know where a good spot is -- I've only seen them on other kinds of scopes.
            My idea was to use the scope when I go upstate, but I don't think I'll be happy only using it 3 or 4 times a year! Finding out that you could see as much as you do from Manhattan...well, I just can't wait to get it up to my roof!
            "danterosati <dante@...>" <dante@...> wrote:HI Marion-

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2003
              --- In guildofmanhattansidewalkastronomers@yahoogroups.com, Marion
              <puddin12359@y...> wrote:

              > Where did you place the telrad? I ordered one with the scope, but I
              haven't actually seen one on a dob. Someone else told me that I could
              put it where ever I want, but I just don't know where a good spot is

              Marion,
              It's going to be a little experimentation, but not one you have to
              have any special knowledge to accomplish. Usually, they'll be near the
              focuser so that you can look easily through the telrad, then take a
              peek in the eyepiece. It's really determined by comfort and
              convenience. As a "leftie" you'll place your telrad a little
              differently than a right-eyed observer would put it.
              You've already started out with an excellent choice, you'll get this
              figured out just fine!
              -Curtis