Well, cheated out of last night-How about tonight in Manhattan?

  • Curtis Borg
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2003
      Such a shame about last night!
      BUT, don't have to go to work Monday (Holiday and my Birthday!) and
      "Have Portaball, Will Travel" to somewhere in Manhattan tonight.
      The sky clock looks pretty fair, anyone "in"?
      I'll check the site during the day.
      Clear Skies-For Sure,
      -Curtis
      -
    • tags_p
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2003
        --- In guildofmanhattansidewalkastronomers@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis
        Borg" <cabinnyc@a...> wrote:
        > Such a shame about last night!
        > BUT, don't have to go to work Monday (Holiday and my Birthday!) and
        > "Have Portaball, Will Travel" to somewhere in Manhattan tonight.
        > The sky clock looks pretty fair, anyone "in"?
        > I'll check the site during the day.
        > Clear Skies-For Sure,
        > -Curtis
        > --
        > --
        > --
        Hi Curtis,
        I'm game for later this evening.
        Typically, I am a Central Park observer because I carry my scope(s)
        over there. However, let me know the location you desire and perhaps
        we can hook up.
        peter
      • Curtis Borg
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2003
          > Hi Curtis,
          > I'm game for later this evening.
          > Typically, I am a Central Park observer because I carry my scope(s)
          > over there. However, let me know the location you desire and perhaps
          > we can hook up.
          > peter

          Peter,
          Maybe around the walkway by Turtle Pond? I wish there was a
          possibility of the Sheep Meadow for tonight, but don't imagine that's
          an option....
          I'll check back in,
          -Curtis
        • tags_p
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2003
            Borg" <cabinnyc@a...> wrote:
            > > Hi Curtis,
            > > I'm game for later this evening.
            > > Typically, I am a Central Park observer because I carry my scope
            (s)
            > > over there. However, let me know the location you desire and
            perhaps
            > > we can hook up.
            > > peter
            >
            > Peter,
            > Maybe around the walkway by Turtle Pond? I wish there was a
            > possibility of the Sheep Meadow for tonight, but don't imagine
            that's
            > an option....
            > I'll check back in,
            > -Curtis
            > --
            > --
            Hi Curtis,

            Is Turtle Pond 86th-ish? What time would you set up? That may be a
            lug for me unless I cab with a small scope/tripod.
            Friday night I checked out Bethesda Fountain, a suggestion from Ben.
            It was pretty dark down there. Despite passing clouds, I was able to
            view Draco's Lozenge and UMi tail parts.
            I'll check back around 6:30 tonight for word.

            peter
          • msmythii
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5, 2003
              Borg" <cabinnyc@a...> wrote:
              > Maybe around the walkway by Turtle Pond? I wish
              > there was a possibility of the Sheep Meadow for
              > tonight, but don't imagine that's an option....

              Curtis/Peter/all,

              Tonight I will be stopping by the area between
              Turtle Pond and the Great Lawn for a bit of viewing
              with the TV-76. I was about to go down to Adorama
              to pick up a 6mm TV Radian eyepiece and some color
              filters but they are closed for the holidays.

              This area can be accessed from the 5th Ave entrance
              at 79th St. Head for the center of the park just
              north of Turtle Pond. From Central Park West the
              closest entrance is at 81st St.

              Hope to see some of you there.

              Ben

              P.S. - the area around Sheep Meadow for viewing is
              as bad as the viewing *on* Sheep Meadow is GOOD.
              The trees along the west edge of the meadow are in
              the way and the lights on the north edge (where
              there is some open sky) are tremendously offensive
              since they are so closely spaced. On Turtle Pond
              the lights don't seem to be as intrusive and there
              is *some* ability to get some distance away from
              them.

              P.P.S. - Mike, glad to hear that the park rangers
              will be thinking about a "rain date" for next year.
            • ianvanvoorst
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 5, 2003
                I am still finishing my scope today -- I might be done with it in
                time to observe tonight. It is still in a very experimental stage. If
                I'm done I would love to haul it up to Central Park -- if not, I may
                come anyway so I can check out the views through your TV.
              • Curtis Borg
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 5, 2003
                  > Hi Curtis,
                  >
                  > Is Turtle Pond 86th-ish? What time would you set up? That may be a
                  > lug for me unless I cab with a small scope/tripod.
                  > Friday night I checked out Bethesda Fountain, a suggestion from Ben.
                  > It was pretty dark down there. Despite passing clouds, I was able to
                  > view Draco's Lozenge and UMi tail parts.
                  > I'll check back around 6:30 tonight for word.
                  >
                  > peter

                  Peter,
                  I was running around downtown trying to do errands much of the
                  afternoon. Now I'm thinking about that ~ 70 lbs of equipment to haul
                  down 5 flights of stairs and I'm starting to waffle.....
                  I think I may have to just go up to my roof tonight.
                  "My bad!"
                  The Turtle Pond walkway is there by the Delacorte theatre-right there
                  from west 81st.
                  Glad to hear that Bethesda location worked out for you.
                  -Curtis
                • tags_p
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 5, 2003
                    --- In
                    guildofmanhattansidewalkastronomers@yahoogroups.com, "ianvanvoorst"
                    <ian@v...> wrote:
                    > I am still finishing my scope today -- I might be done with it in
                    > time to observe tonight. It is still in a very experimental stage.
                    If
                    > I'm done I would love to haul it up to Central Park -- if not, I
                    may
                    > come anyway so I can check out the views through your TV.

                    I'll be up there around 8:30 or so. I don't go up there frequently
                    but remember a small lawn area between the pond & walkway. I guess
                    that where I'll setup. Hope to c'ya there.
                    peter
                  • ianvanvoorst
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 5, 2003
                      Didn't make it out -- I had a real bad problem with my mirror cell.
                      Hope you got some good view!

                      --- In guildofmanhattansidewalkastronomers@yahoogroups.com, "tags_p"
                      <peter.tagatac@q...> wrote:
                      > --- In
                      > guildofmanhattansidewalkastronomers@yahoogroups.com, "ianvanvoorst"
                      > <ian@v...> wrote:
                      > > I am still finishing my scope today -- I might be done with it in
                      > > time to observe tonight. It is still in a very experimental
                      stage.
                      > If
                      > > I'm done I would love to haul it up to Central Park -- if not, I
                      > may
                      > > come anyway so I can check out the views through your TV.
                      >
                      > I'll be up there around 8:30 or so. I don't go up there frequently
                      > but remember a small lawn area between the pond & walkway. I guess
                      > that where I'll setup. Hope to c'ya there.
                      > peter
                    • Curtis Borg
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 5, 2003
                        "ianvanvoorst" <ian@v...> wrote:
                        > Didn't make it out -- I had a real bad problem with my mirror cell.
                        > Hope you got some good view!

                        Ian,
                        I put too many miles on while walking today and didn't have the umph
                        to haul the Portaball up to the park. Instead, I brought it up one
                        flight to the rooftop. Not too bad a sky. Stayed up for quite a while.
                        Clouds started to soften the sky around 11pm and I came down by 11:45.
                        Some neighbors in the building found their way to the roof while I was
                        there and I ended up giving a little sky show. They were most knocked
                        out by the views of the moon in the binoviewers! They provide quite an
                        impact!
                        Again, my apologies for not getting up to the park-especially since I
                        put the initial post up on the list here.....Hope others got some sky
                        time in as well.
                        -Curtis
                        -
                      • tags_p
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 6, 2003
                          Borg" <cabinnyc@a...> wrote:
                          > --- In guildofmanhattansidewalkastronomers@yahoogroups.com,
                          > "ianvanvoorst" <ian@v...> wrote:
                          > > Didn't make it out -- I had a real bad problem with my mirror
                          cell.
                          > > Hope you got some good view!
                          > >
                          > Ian,
                          > I put too many miles on while walking today and didn't have the
                          umph
                          > to haul the Portaball up to the park. Instead, I brought it up one
                          > flight to the rooftop. Not too bad a sky. Stayed up for quite a
                          while.
                          > Clouds started to soften the sky around 11pm and I came down by
                          11:45.
                          > Some neighbors in the building found their way to the roof while I
                          was
                          > there and I ended up giving a little sky show. They were most
                          knocked
                          > out by the views of the moon in the binoviewers! They provide quite
                          an
                          > impact!
                          > Again, my apologies for not getting up to the park-especially since
                          > put the initial post up on the list here.....Hope others got some
                          sky
                          > time in as well.
                          > -Curtis
                          > --
                          > --

                          A great time last night with Ben, Nick and Ken at Turtle Pond. When I
                          arrived Ben was observing either Uranus or Neptune. We bagged some
                          beautifuk faint fuzzies between our scopes. To name a few, we saw:
                          Dbl star-Gamma And, Epsilon Lyr; G-M31 & ?M32?; OC-DBl Cluster, NGC
                          457 (Owl Cluster/ET), M103, NGC 663, Pleiades, Hyades; GC-M15; Assoc-
                          Alpha Per Assoc; Asterim- Brocchi's Cluster; Sol Sys - at ~246x &
                          ~273x - Mars & Moon.
                          We had some company from pedestrians who shared some of the views.
                          Two dog walkers hung out for a bit of time.
                          The sky's transparency and seeing were nice early with some passing
                          clouds. There was some diminishment in these conditions a bit,
                          however the experience was superb to the end when we wrapped up
                          nearing midnight. Ben finished off with Brocchi's Cluster and I split
                          E Lyr.
                          I don't often observe with others so it was a pleasure of bagging
                          different views, discussing the observations and sharing
                          scopes/eyepieces. I trust there will be more opportunities where we
                          observe together.
                        • msmythii
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 6, 2003
                            Peter,

                            Thanks for the followup. I missed mentioning many
                            items!

                            Ben