vista

  • arie.nagel
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2008
      hi, im new to this group

      so, sorry if this problem was dealt with already!

      always used guide with xp
      but now w vista i get all kinds of problems:
      - no milky way or nebulae contours
      - even if i check off the galaxies, i get all galaxies
      - blue and red big stars, where no stars are
      etc.

      how to deal with this?

      arie nagel, netherlands
    • Markus Funke
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2008
        I'm using Guide8 on Vista64 for a while now, and the only thing I found,
        tha didn't look that nice are the toolbar buttons, the spaces between
        them are to big.

        See atached picture

        -- Markus

        Am 04.02.2008 15:01, schrieb arie.nagel:

        > hi, im new to this group
        >
        > so, sorry if this problem was dealt with already!
        >
        > always used guide with xp
        > but now w vista i get all kinds of problems:
        > - no milky way or nebulae contours
        > - even if i check off the galaxies, i get all galaxies
        > - blue and red big stars, where no stars are
        > etc.
        >
        > how to deal with this?
        >
        > arie nagel, netherlands

      • Denis
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2008
          Markus,

          that can be fixed, simply go the Guide Icon, right click and select
          properties, select compatibility tab, check the "disable visual themes".
          It should now work normally just like in XP.

          Denis

          Markus Funke wrote:
          > I'm using Guide8 on Vista64 for a while now, and the only thing I found,
          > tha didn't look that nice are the toolbar buttons, the spaces between
          > them are to big.
          >
          > See atached picture
          >
          > -- Markus
          >
          > Am 04.02.2008 15:01, schrieb arie.nagel:
          >>
          >> hi, im new to this group
          >>
          >> so, sorry if this problem was dealt with already!
          >>
          >> always used guide with xp
          >> but now w vista i get all kinds of problems:
          >> - no milky way or nebulae contours
          >> - even if i check off the galaxies, i get all galaxies
          >> - blue and red big stars, where no stars are
          >> etc.
          >>
          >> how to deal with this?
          >>
          >> arie nagel, netherlands

          > To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty email to:
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bill J Gray
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2008
            Hi Arie,

            (Scratching head) I doubt these things are actually Vista
            related. There _are_ some known Vista issues, described a
            bit (and solutions provided) at

            http://www.projectpluto.com/setup.htm

            The most major issue is that on some boxes, Guide refuses
            to even install; the Setup program fails. Fortunately, the
            new Setup utility provided at the above link fixes the problem.

            I would recommend that you e-mail me the file 'startup.mar'
            from your Guide folder; this contains most of the settings in
            Guide, and I think it will allow me to see what's going on with
            the first two problems you mention (isophotes and galaxies).
            I'd also recommend getting the 'in-testing' update at

            http://www.projectpluto.com/new.htm

            Mystery bugs frequently vanish when an upgrade is applied.
            I really don't know why (which bothers me), but it's definitely
            the case.

            For galaxies, I'd also recommend going into Display...
            Data Shown, and making sure that 'galaxies', 'NGC/IC', and
            'Messier' are turned off. If you turned off, say, galaxies
            and Messier objects, but left NGC objects on, then all the
            NGC galaxies would be shown (but no other galaxies).

            If that fails, I'd recommend right-clicking on one of the
            galaxies. You will get the usual short bit of info about it.
            Then click on Display, and turn the galaxies off. This will
            work if the galaxies are actually coming from some separate,
            user-added dataset.

            I would recommend the same method for the red/blue stars:
            right-click on them, then Display. But the first step should
            be to apply the update from 'new.htm'.

            -- Bill