Lunar map

  • Laren Dart
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2003
      When using Lunar bitmap #3, there are some outlined areas near Pico. I
      know the black areas are caused by missing data, but why are these areas
      outlined? They also show in several other parts of the Moon. I have
      uploaded a jpg to show what I mean:

      http://www.got.net/~ldart/pico.jpg

      TIA,
      Larry

      http://www.got.net/~ldart
      writing and photography
    • Bill J Gray
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2003
        Hi Larry,

        Those lines are part of the "lunar features" (craters, landing sites,
        etc.), not the bitmap. I experimented with adding in such lines,
        expecting that I'd come up with some suitable way to provide
        a vector lunar map. I didn't finish that project, but unfortunately,
        I see I didn't pull out the test lines.

        If you look toward the end of 'planet10.gaz', the text file
        containing the list of lunar features shown by Guide, you'll
        see about twenty lines near the end, starting with a comment
        about "Outline Montes Teneriffe" and continuing with commands
        to m(ove) to a lat/lon and then draw a (l)ine connecting to the
        next point. Delete those, and the outlines will go away.

        -- Bill
      • Laren Dart
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2003
          At 07:53 PM 5/5/03 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi Larry,
          >
          > Those lines are part of the "lunar features" (craters, landing sites,
          >etc.), not the bitmap. I experimented with adding in such lines,
          >expecting that I'd come up with some suitable way to provide
          >a vector lunar map. I didn't finish that project, but unfortunately,
          >I see I didn't pull out the test lines.
          >
          > If you look toward the end of 'planet10.gaz', the text file
          >containing the list of lunar features shown by Guide, you'll
          >see about twenty lines near the end, starting with a comment
          >about "Outline Montes Teneriffe" and continuing with commands
          >to m(ove) to a lat/lon and then draw a (l)ine connecting to the
          >next point. Delete those, and the outlines will go away.
          >
          >-- Bill

          Thanks, Bill, I'll do that as soon as I get off line. And here I was
          blaming NASA for it! <G>

          --Larry

          http://www.got.net/~ldart
          writing and photography
        • Shawn Grant
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2003
            Isn't that rectangle outline designating a feature known as the
            battleship?