Re: Executable using Gui4Cli.dll

  • Marianne
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 10, 2012
      Thanks for the quick reply.

      My results are exactly the same as yours.

      Kind regards.

      Frans

      --- In gui4cli@yahoogroups.com, Dimitris Keletsekis <gui4cli@...> wrote:

      > For me the test exe is shown as a "possible" virus by 3 little known
      > antivir programs. The empty exe is shown as clean. However when I try an
      > old exe test it's shown as clean. It can drive you crazy.
      >
      > The problem is that the exe is basically an empty shell into which you
      > stuff the GUI and the supposedly "clever" algorithms some antivirus use
      > don't know what to make of it and mark it as a "possible" virus to be on
      > the safe side.
      >
      > I think I may have to add some unrelated dummy code, just to bypass this
      > problem...
      >
      > Dimitris
      >

      > On Friday, August 10, 2012, Marianne wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Dimitris
      > >
      > > Sorry it is me again. I think I know what is going on.
      > >
      > > It is an issue of the latest Avira Antivir Free program. I used the link
      > > you gave for testing and it is only Antivir that is indicating a virus. So
      > > as they called it is a false positive detection (the compiled program
      > > Test.exe).
      > >
      > > I will upload the program to Avira Antivir for their attention.
      > >
      > > Kind regards.
      > >
      > > Frans
      > >
      > > --- In gui4cli@yahoogroups.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
      > > 'gui4cli%40yahoogroups.com');>, "Marianne" <marianne976@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dimitris
      > > >
      > > > Just to clear up some misunderstanding. Pack_dll.exe is virus free. The
      > > problem is when I compile then I get the message that the compiled file has
      > > a virus. This only happens when compiling an exe using Gli4Cli.dll
      > > >
      > > > Regards
      > > >
      > > > Frans

      > > systems:

      > > versions on the two systems?

      > > you know if I had made a mistake.

      > > check

      > > flagged
      > > system

      > > cause
      > > are sites

      > > code in it
      > > and some
      > > mark the

      > > the

      > > (version
      > > problem is

    • Dimitris Keletsekis
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 8, 2012
        Hi Frans,

        The problem seems to be the UPX compressor. When its not used, the file is ok.

        I searched the web and this seems to be a known problem with other programs too.

        So I would avoid it for DLL based exes.
        Normal ones, seem to be ok, even with UPX.

        BTW - I uploaded a new version..

        Dimitris

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 8, 2012
          Dimitris

          Thank you but I just want to mention the following: As said I am using Antivir the 2012 Personal edition (hope I can mention the name). It does not matter if I use upx or not I am getting the false warning. With Normal executables there are no problems.

          To me it seems that the problem is with the virus program. With the previous version of the same program I do not have any problems. At work we use another virus program and there I also do not have any problems. I tested it also with other virus programs having no problems. It is only the spesific version I am using currently on my Windows 7 computer.

          It seems to me that I must probably change my virus software. Which one do you prefer or using currently?

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 8, 2012
            I use McAfee and I never get an error.

            As you say, maybe the exe itself is the cause, but certainly UPX also helps. I tried the test.gui you sent me. With UPX it is reported by 3-4 antiviruses (on VirusTotal.com) and without UPX it is not reported by any. I did a search for "UPX virus" and it seems many others had the same problem with other programs.

            Anyway, I left the exe as it is for now, till I understand (if I ever do) what the cause is.

            Dimitris

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 8, 2012
              Dimitris

              Thank you for all the effort and patience.

              I uninstalled Avira Personal addition 2012 and installed another virus program and now the problem is fixed. At work McAfee also does not report a false positive. (It is a headache to uninstall Avirea).

              According to me it is definitely Avira causing the frustration.