[gthomas] Re: The Fith Gospel

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 1998
      Paul Miller wrote:

      > Stephen Patterson and James Robinson have a new book on the GTh. Amazon info
      > below:
      >
      > The Fifth Gospel : The Gospel of Thomas Comes of Age
      > by Stephen J. Patterson, James M. Robinson
      > Paperback - 128 pages (November 1998)
      > Trinity Pr Intl; ISBN: 1563382490 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.36 x 5.54 x
      > 8.47
      > Amazon.com Sales Rank: 774,155
      > List Price: $15.00
      > Our Price: $12.00
      > You Save: $3.00 (20%)

      Aaaaw Paul, my first message from the list and ya cost me
      some more book money (g).

      Jack

    • Paul Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 1999
        I recieved Patterson's new book in the mail yesterday. There is really
        nothing new here except for a translation of the Coptic text by Hans-Gebhard
        Bethge and the Berlin Working Group for Coptic Gnostic Writings. This is
        followed by essays from Patterson and Robinson which are general and summary
        in form.
        From the little I have looked at the translation, it seems wordy and forced
        in places. I got the impression they might be using more words than
        necessary in an explanatory translation style.
        I haven't had time to really look at it well. Mike G. could give a more
        informed opinion on the accuracy of the BWG translation. I have become used
        to Meyer's excellent translation I suppose.

        Paul Miller

      • Stevan Davies
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 1999
          > I recieved Patterson's new book in the mail yesterday. There is really
          > nothing new here except for a translation of the Coptic text by Hans-Gebhard
          > Bethge and the Berlin Working Group for Coptic Gnostic Writings. This is
          > followed by essays from Patterson and Robinson which are general and summary
          > in form.
          > From the little I have looked at the translation, it seems wordy and forced
          > in places. I got the impression they might be using more words than
          > necessary in an explanatory translation style.
          > I haven't had time to really look at it well. Mike G. could give a more
          > informed opinion on the accuracy of the BWG translation. I have become used
          > to Meyer's excellent translation I suppose.
          >
          > Paul Miller

          Can you give us a variety of examples of their translations?
          [Not illegal to do this for purpose of discussion....]

          Steve