RE: [GTh] McGrath Review in RBL

  • Bob Schacht
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 19 10:02 AM

      To: GThos
      On: Definition of Gnostic
      From: Bruce

      I still like the idea of letting people define themselves. Let me therefore repeat an earlier question:

      What is the earliest text that uses the term gnosis or its derivatives in a way that seems to be theologically definitional? Or less carefully worded, what is the oldest self-labeled Gnostic text?

      What would be the result of applying this rule to the New Testament? Would any of it be considered "Christian"?

      Bob Schacht
      Northern Arizona University