Re: [GTh] McGrath Review in RBL

  • Stephen Carlson
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 19, 2011
      While I am very much in favor of the principle of self-identification, we do have to recognize that we have a number of texts in the Nag Hammadi library about which we have almost no (reliable) information as to which person or group of people produced, transmitted, and/or used them.  The only thing to go on is their contents.

      Stephen
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson
      Graduate Program in Religion
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 19, 2011

        To: GThos
        On: Definition of Gnostic
        From: Bruce

        I still like the idea of letting people define themselves. Let me therefore repeat an earlier question:

        What is the earliest text that uses the term gnosis or its derivatives in a way that seems to be theologically definitional? Or less carefully worded, what is the oldest self-labeled Gnostic text?

        What would be the result of applying this rule to the New Testament? Would any of it be considered "Christian"?

        Bob Schacht
        Northern Arizona University